Author Topic: Cinema Etiquette  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cinema Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
In this day and age, you really have to fault the theaters themselves. The technology is out there where you can install a device that blocks the signals for cel phones. The theaters don't want to make that investment and solve the problem.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
I don't agree.  :tease:

If theaters need to pay big bucks to install this type of equipment, the cost will trickle down and be payed for by the movie goers. I'm sorry but I should not have to pay a dime more because people do not know how to be courteous. If someone uses a cell phone in this type of environment they should be thrown out on their rude ass.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
Those kind of device to block those signals can be bought by anybody, no?
I know that I almost wanted to got one when I was working the night shift at a store because of the idiots who talk on their cell phone while they are on the counter paying :thumbdown:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
If theaters need to pay big bucks to install this type of equipment, the cost will trickle down and be payed for by the movie goers.

I really can't see this as being that costly a measure. It's not like they would have to rewire each theater. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of placement and proper calibration. I know that the units aren't that expensive. I can't see it costing more than $1000 to equip a 12 theater cineplex with them, with the bulk of that expense going to labor involved in installing them.

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
Those kind of device to block those signals can be bought by anybody, no?
I know that I almost wanted to got one when I was working the night shift at a store because of the idiots who talk on their cell phone while they are on the counter paying :thumbdown:

Jimmy! THANK YOU! I thought I was the only person who wanted to punch customers who talk on there phones whilst being served  :redcard: :redcard: They drive me crazy! .... half of them don't even say thank you, they don't even look at you. (can't find an angry enough smiley)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »
(can't find an angry enough smiley)

Take your pick...

>:( :chainsaw: :axed: :bash: :giljotiini: :burninacid:

kahless

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »
I also hate this annoying and disrespectful behaviour.

Take your pick...

I take this:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:09:41 PM by kahless »

snowcat

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »

Take your pick...

Ahh... I always forget about that more button!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 07:18:36 PM »
Jimmy! THANK YOU! I thought I was the only person who wanted to punch customers who talk on there phones whilst being served
Don't forget them when you will make your first commercial film. You will get the chance to blast some of them in many imaginative ways.
The most fun I got with one of them who did this regulary was to make him wait half an hour before giving him any service. It was the fun part of working the night shift since I was working alone and my boss couldn't fired me because no one wanted to do the job. I was able to do whatever I wanted without really caring, but 5 years of night works burn me (it comes a time when you miss the sun).

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
I know that this is going to come as a shock to everyone here, but I still don't own a cel phone.  :o

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »
I never put up with it for long. Soon as I'm being particularly distracted, I ask them nicely. Then I ask not so nicely. There's a theme, it's a method... ;)

Last time was Drag Me To Hell. Me and a friend were in a quiet showing and there was someone several rows down just talking, in a normal voice, every time there was a not-someone-getting-killed-bit. I couldn't see who, so I just said out loud, "Please shut up!" in a tone of voice that implied a kicking was in order should it be ignored. Seemed to work.

What was so annoying though is Raimi Horror films are supposed to attract a rowdy response. The audience is part of the fun!

But that's a shared experience during the outlandish gore. I don't want to share their frigging conversation. :-X

At that Kick-Ass showing, which was a special preview, you had to prove to the attendant that your phone was switched off. In the showing, some guy turned his back on and they came down on him instantly. Shows they can do it when they give a shit. No need for any devices.

In fact, next time it happens, demand a refund. Other patrons are not your responsibility. Even if they're your friends! :laugh:

"That was good wasn't it?"
"Yeah"
"Erm... where are you going? The exits this way."
"I need to complain about this noisy bitch who screwed up my film."
"Oh, I didn't notice! Who?"
"YOU!"

Awkward journey home, that.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
In fact, next time it happens, demand a refund. Other patrons are not your responsibility. Even if they're your friends! :laugh:

Actually, this is the best course of action, as long as you do it before the film ends. Most theaters will refund your money, or give you a free pass to a further viewing. But like I said, you have to do well before the film ends.

If enough people did this, theaters would really start clamping down on these obnoxious people.  :voodoo:

snowcat

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
Haha, Jimmy.... I wish I could do that! but my manager is always around :(

"That was good wasn't it?"
"Yeah"
"Erm... where are you going? The exits this way."
"I need to complain about this noisy bitch who screwed up my film."
"Oh, I didn't notice! Who?"
"YOU!"

Awkward journey home, that.

...Jon, you are now my hero... Please come to the cinema next time i am forced to go with my friends just so you can have that conversation.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
I don't agree.  :tease:

If theaters need to pay big bucks to install this type of equipment, the cost will trickle down and be payed for by the movie goers. I'm sorry but I should not have to pay a dime more because people do not know how to be courteous. If someone uses a cell phone in this type of environment they should be thrown out on their rude ass.

That's true too..if the theater paid out anything for something like that, they would use it to justify jacking the price yet again.  There are people who know how to act and not annoy everyone in the theater, but we seem to be getting over taken by rude jerks. 

I think theater employees should go in and out of the theaters randomly, just to check on that stuff.  At one point, that happened here, but that was like 4 or 5 years ago.  They need to start again.

Last May I saw some guy tell off a bunch of loud teenagers.  One of them talked back to him - like telling him to sit back down or something..probably trying to act tough for the girls there too.  That wasn't a good thing to do.  The guy - and he was tall and muscled, so he wasn't someone a normal person would want to mess with - climbed over the seats and got in their row and yelled at them about how he's had to sit there and listen to them for the whole movie...he paid to see the movie and not listen to them..stuff like that.  He did get a bit loud..almost thought he was gonna hit someone but he didn't.  Once he sat down, the teenagers didn't utter another peep.  It was awesome to see.

venomsinner

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 12:29:42 AM »
Ive worked in a cinema and well... Ive seen some strange complaints and had to clean up some extremely worrying things. But as for mobile phones our showings would always say to turn phones off twice. We started a rumour that the light from a mobile phone would stop the movie.... I don't think it caught on.