Author Topic: Region 1 DVDs  (Read 822 times)

karmesinrot

Region 1 DVDs
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:57 AM »
Hey guys, since I will be leaving for Florida in about a week I wondered if anyone could suggest some great DVDs that have only been released on R1 so far. I plan to boost my collection a little when I'm over there with the following:
-Friday Night Lights S2, 3, 4
-Veronica Mars 1-3
-Dead Like Me S2 (if its cheaper than R2 version)

What are some of your R1-only must haves?

Critter

Re: Region 1 DVDs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
Can't really help you sorry. When it comes to DVD regions I am a bit clueless, Australia has region 4 DVD's and that's about all I know, I don't think I have anything else. How would you play them though? Does your DVD player have multi regions?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:29:02 AM »
Anything Criterion obviously, although I wonder if they aren't cheaper online. Many US independent movies, but again I'm not sure if they are even available in regular stores. All in all, it is really to wide a field to make any recommendations without knowing what you like.

EDIT:

Some interesting indie movie labels off the top of my head: Microcinema, Hart Sharp Video, Strand Releasing, ThinkFilm, Facets, Film Movement.

As for TV shows: Two favorite shows of mine are HBO's John from Cincinnati and the Canadian Slings & Arrows. AFAIK, both aren't available outside R1. Then there is the Shout! Factory label with a lot of classics that AFAIK aren't available elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:16:32 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

karmesinrot

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
Oops I should have mentioned I'm mostly looking at TV :P John from Cincinnati is available here & on my wishlist, but I'll definitely check out Slings & Arrows.
& Sophie yeah we have a multi-region player in our living room, but so far haven't actually tested it out with anything other than R2 ???

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
I don't know what is available elsewhere to be able to help much... but if you scan through my Pete's Pilots Thread you could get some ideas through it. I reviewed what I have alphabetically... got half way through the N's so far. And there is a complete list of pilots that I own in the first post if you see any other titles you want to ask about. :)
Pete