Author Topic: Cinema Etiquette  (Read 5328 times)

Critter

Cinema Etiquette
« on: June 08, 2010, 02:27:32 AM »
I went to the cinema last night with two friends and I was quite surprised when one of them was relentlessly texting on her phone for much of the first half of the film. I found the small light of her phone screen always in the corner of my eye a bit distracting, as well as the sound of all the buttons constantly being pushed. I didn't say anything at the time, but after the film I casually mentioned it only to have my head snapped off.

I may be out with the times but according to my friends it's just the normal thing to do to text during films, and it's only rude if you actually talk on your phone. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as I have always just considered phones in general a bit of a no go in films. I have on occaision sent a quick text during a film myself (only for urgent matters) but during these times I try and hide the phone in my bag and text really quickly so I can put it away again and ignore it. But my friend just had the phone right out in front of her.

I am really this out of the loop? Is it just the normal thing to text during movies now?

Thoughts?

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cinema Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:34:07 AM »
What is the point of going to watch a film, if you're only going to be watching the screen of your phone?

You're definitely too nice. If it were me, and that screen was disrupting my viewing pleasure, I would have turned to that person and said, "If you don't put that away, I'm going to spill a soda all over it". Kind of difficult to text with sticky fingers and keypad.  :laugh:

Just chock it up to this...Don't ever go to a film with that person again. :thumbup:

Critter

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:37:33 AM »
 :laugh: I'll keep that in mind. Although being too nice I could always "accidently" spill the drink all over the phone and then pretend it was not on purpose  ;).
This person also spoke a couple of times throughout the film, although to her credit she at least spoke in a whispered voice. It seems not enough people actually respect the cinema with the same amount of gusto that I do these days.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:41:06 AM »
Their behavior was rude. Their response to your casual comment was even worse. A true friend would do neither. Shame on them.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
Thanks Kathy, it's good to hear other people agreeing on me with this. I thought I was going crazy when I heard that people texted during films, I was so sure that that was not a thing to do during a film. I usually go out of my way in films to make sure I do not disturb the other viewers around me.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:46:42 AM »
:laugh: I'll keep that in mind. Although being too nice I could always "accidently" spill the drink all over the phone and then pretend it was not on purpose  ;).
This person also spoke a couple of times throughout the film, although to her credit she at least spoke in a whispered voice. It seems not enough people actually respect the cinema with the same amount of gusto that I do these days.

It just seems such a waste of time and money. For Christ's sake, you can text anytime before or after. What's the point of going inside a movie hall?

Critter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:28 AM »
I have no idea, the film we saw last night was Animal Kingdom. I have a feeling this friend may have been better suited to the likes of Sex and the City 2  :-[.
 :tease:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:57:40 AM »
I usually go out of my way in films to make sure I do not disturb the other viewers around me.

This is why, if I do go to the theater, I wait until the film has been in release for at least three weeks, and I pick a weekday early afternoon showing. Not only do you get the matinee price, but there are usually very few people in attendance.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:07:06 AM »
This is a peeve of mine.  I've never gone to the movie with some who is rude enough to do that though thankfully.  I probably would have told her to put the damn phone away.  I usually don't say anything since the people are strangers and you just never know if someone is going to flip out on you or something.  But at the theater here, if you go out and complain, they come in and tell the people to put the phone away and keep it away or leave.  

Talking throughout a movie, either to someone else in the theater or on a phone, is rude and people who do it should be kicked out.  I don't mind a whispered comment every so often..I'm talking of long, drawn out conversations about all sorts of crap in a normal voice level that I have to over hear because the rude jerks are sitting near me.

Texting during a movie is just as rude, if not more so than talking because the light from the screen of the phone is very distracting..almost blinding at times in a dark theater if it hits your eye the right way.  

I don't think you are out of the loop at all Sophie.  Unfortunately, this extremely rude and inconsiderate behavior seems to be accepted as normal by many.  People just don't have manners anymore.

Anyone who can not sit through a movie - and we are usually only talking about 2 to 2.5 hours max - without texting or doing who knows what on their cell phone needs to stay the hell home.  People who can't shut up during a movie also need to stay the hell home.  I agree, why bother to pay to see a movie only to sit there sending texts through the whole thing or talk about problems with your boyfriend or whatever.  I can understand an emergency coming up, but this is ridiculous.  Shut the hell up, put the damn phone away, or get out.

I do not pay to listen to other people chatter on about stupid crap or to be blinded by the lights from cell phones.  Call me crazy, but when I go to the movie theater, I actually want to see the movie.

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:08:13 AM »
Several years ago, I went to a Coen Brothers movie (Intolerable Cruelty) and someone's cell phone went off repeatedly during the first 20-30 minutes of the movie.  The thought of hurling a large Pepsi also went through my mind.  Of course, those are so expensive now...

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 03:12:54 AM »
That's one of the main reasons why I never go to the theater anymore. Some people just don't have the basic civility required for living in society. So I recluse myself like a hermit in my cave  :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:13:31 AM »
In Taiwan they actually have a trailer before the film, asking you to turn off the phone.

Not that it helps much :(

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:06 AM »
Oh they have those here too.  There are these like commercials that say that..some use to show what looked like a movie scene and then the characters are interrupted by the ringing phone.  The latest ones have had people trying to talk on their phone while being surrounded by characters and it says that movies that don't interrupt your calls, so don't interrupt the movies.  Then another screen will come up that says thanking for you not talking or texting during the movie.  So there are at least 2 things, sometimes 3 I think, telling people to be quiet and turn off phones but it does no good.

Critter

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:53:50 AM »
We have those too at the start of every film, telling you the usual, turn off your phones, use the bins provided and keep your feet of the seats.

That's one of the main reasons why I never go to the theater anymore. Some people just don't have the basic civility required for living in society. So I recluse myself like a hermit in my cave  :hysterical:

:laugh: On the up side I'm sure it is a very civil cave.

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
I honestly prefer to go to the cinema alone, now.... my friends always tell me how sad and pathetic that is.... but if I go with them they either talk, txt, or laugh at things that aren't funny ¬_¬ if I go alone.... I can only distract myself.