Author Topic: What do we think of EW's latest list?  (Read 1237 times)

Critter

What do we think of EW's latest list?
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:28:35 AM »
100 Greatest Film and TV Characters of the Last 20 years.

Personally I would like to read the reasoning behind them picking these characters, instead of just a list. But I suppose you have to buy the magazine to read that. I would especially like to read their reasoning behind Spongebob being so high up.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/06/01/100-greatest-characters-of-last-20-years-full-list/

EDIT: I just noticed that for some unknown, god forsaken, depths of fiery hell reason that they put Edward Cullen on the list. I was interested in it before, but now I am disregarding the entire thing alltogether.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: What do we think of EW's latest list?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
The lower part of the list seems rather random if you ask me. I mean characters from Hancock or The Devil Wears Prada? Who is still talking about these movies? If Will Smith, then The Fresh Prince or Independence Day but not Hancock.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Critter

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »
I agree that Hancock was a strange choice. I'm not sure if I would choose his character from Independence Day either. Funnily enough though Miranda from The Devil Wears Prada is one of the characters I actually agree should be on there.  :-[
What can I say? I just loved that movie and thought Meryl Streep was outstanding in that role. If it wasn't for her that film would have been mediocre at best.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »
What absurd nonsense! Lazy journalism... ::)

Critter

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Well I suppose we can't expect too much coming from Entertainment Weekly. It's a shame that this list will be seen by thousands when the more credible opinions of proper film journalists will often go unoticed by the general public. This EW list seems to be more most popular characters instead of greatest ones.

lyonsden5

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
As soon as I saw someone from the show Glee on the list I stopped reading. How can anyone from a show that at the time the list was complied only aired 18 or 19 episodes be considered a top anything of the past 20 years, let alone make it to the top 20. ???

I used to get EW. I enjoyed some of it but a lot of it was nonsense. It was good, um... 'library' reading (if you know what I mean). We received the subscription as a gift. When it was up we never renewed it. Articles like the one above were the reason.

At least Buffy made the top of the list.  :thumbup: 

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
Most of the time these sort of lists are useless because people vote for what they remember and they are most likely to remember what they saw yesterday. :shrug:

The joke in this case is that it didn't seem to be votes. They say "writers and editors" suggesting this is their carefully considered opinion! :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
... What can I say ... It looks like a list that someone made after they were asked this "Name 100 film and tv characters" ...

¬_¬ ... I agree with certain people others I cant understand.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »
... What can I say ... It looks like a list that someone made after they were asked this "Name 100 film and tv characters" ...

:laugh: Very good! There's someone at EW having a fit because he thought they just wanted a random list that's now been presented as "The Best of The Best!".

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 02:22:16 AM »
I have the magazine around here somewhere.  I can't remember the reasoning for Spongebob...though there was stuff in there about how the creator first came up with the idea.

Some of them I agree with - Buffy for sure..others....not at all.