Author Topic: Book Reviews  (Read 8741 times)

Critter

Re: Book Reviews
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »
I'm a massive reader, but to this day I am still yet to read anything by Stephen King  :bag:.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
Well you better start Miss Sophie.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »
I've only read a few Stephen King books..I only liked The Shinning. 

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
I'm not a big fan of horror so it's probably not surprising that I've only read one Stephen King novel.  Being the animal lover that I am, it was Cujo.  Maybe someday I'll read Pet Semetary!  ::)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »

After viewing the film I decided that I would like to read the book that the film was based upon.

I found this to be a good read and many areas had more depth than the film, as with any film version of a book often there is much that has to be left out. Some of the characters have greater roles in the book and the backgrounds are also explored especially Eli's and the guardian's. Overall the film Let the Right One In is a good interpretation of this book. My understanding is that the US remake Let Me In also follows the book quite closely but with a slight different emphasis in which ancillary characters were used, but having not seen this version I currently cannot comment.

Overall a good read.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »

After viewing the film I decided that I would like to read the book that the film was based upon.

I found this to be a good read and many areas had more depth than the film, as with any film version of a book often there is much that has to be left out. Some of the characters have greater roles in the book and the backgrounds are also explored especially Eli's and the guardian's. Overall the film Let the Right One In is a good interpretation of this book. My understanding is that the US remake Let Me In also follows the book quite closely but with a slight different emphasis in which ancillary characters were used, but having not seen this version I currently cannot comment.

Overall a good read.

Haven't read the book, but seen both films. Let Me In is excellent, but differences are very slight and what is missing from Let The Right One In is very much missed, even if it doesn't make the boys life quite so claustrophobic (his father isn't in it at all).

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
Haven't read the book, but seen both films. Let Me In is excellent, but differences are very slight and what is missing from Let The Right One In is very much missed, even if it doesn't make the boys life quite so claustrophobic (his father isn't in it at all).

Thanks Jon. My understanding, from what I have read, is that the policeman plays a bigger role in the US film than he did the original. This would tie in closer to the book as his role there was more.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
I suppose that much is true. Let The Right One in had a larger sense of community with the sequence of locals trying to track down the killer.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »
OK thanks. Some spirit of community with the locals also comes over in the book.
Dave

My Library

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »
I've been meaning to post about this one for a while.  I'm working on getting caught up with posting.

Harry Potter Film Wizardry

This is a wonderful book for fans of the Harry Potter movies.  There are quotes and messages from the cast, producers and directors.  There is all sorts of information on the making of the movies, including why certain decisions were made.  The book is full of pictures taken during the filming as well as some of the concept art for certain things. 

The best part about the book is the various replicas of different props.  I love them.  The replicas look like the items looked in the movie, though for a few of them, I think they were just barely seen in the movie.  They are all incredibly detailed.  Most of them are in almost clear envelopes that are attached to the pages.  That does help protect the replicas.  The replicas include the letter that Harry gets in the first movie, a program for the Quidditch World Cup - complete with ads for a few wizard products - and some of the educational decrees.

I love this book and am very glad that I discovered it so I could add it to my Harry Potter collection.

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions.

Harry Potter Film Wizardry

Critter

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »
How many of the films does this book cover?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »
Up through Deathly Hallows: Part 1.  The last couple of pages show a few pictures of things from the final movie, but that's it.  I almost wish they had waiting and put the book out with that movie.

Critter

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:51 AM »
Do you think there is any chance they will release another one, or a revised edition after part 2 is out?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 08:55:27 AM »
I don't know.  I haven't seen anything about that..though I haven't checked.
If they do, I'll probably end up getting it too...lol  I'll try to remember to do some checking once it is closer to the release of the last movie.  This one came out a few weeks before Part 1 I think.

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
The best part about the book is the various replicas of different props.  I love them.  The replicas look like the items looked in the movie, though for a few of them, I think they were just barely seen in the movie.  They are all incredibly detailed.  Most of them are in almost clear envelopes that are attached to the pages. 

I really like this idea. I talked before about my Marvel, DC and Batman books that do the same. For Christmas, my mum bought me a fantastic book about Alfred Hitchcock called Piece By Piece and that does the same thing. For instance it has a copy of his hand written notes for one of the trailers, or booklets of photographs of his family.

She also bought me a huge book on Chaplin, which is full of wonderful photographs. That also brings me onto On Set Off Guard which I have been after for ages. Finally got a used hardback for £4 on Amazon marketplace that is in great condition (and it should be over £30 new). It's a book of photographs taken of actors and directors on set, but they aren't publicity pictures. So you see John Wayne playing chess on the set of Chisum, or Dustin Hoffman larking about on Marathon Man. It occasionally has fascinating pictures, such as Marilyn Monroe on the set of a film, trying to learn a character she would never play. She died days later. Another like that is of Tyrone Powers, looking stunned during an action sequence in which he had collapsed; he was having the heart attack that would kill him mere hours later in hospital. It isn't all like that though! It also has some wonderful family moments where actors bought their kids on set.