Author Topic: Book Reviews  (Read 8742 times)

Critter

Book Reviews
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »
Book Reviews

This thread will be dedicated to any book reviews from the members. Like the video game thread anyone should feel free to post a review of what they have been reading latley. You can really review anything you like too. Not just novels, but non-fiction work, travel books, guides even magazines. Any type of book is welcome.

Critter

Re: Book Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
‘Going Solo’ by Roald Dahl

I recently finished reading Going Solo by one of my all time favourite authors, Roald Dahl. Going Solo is one of two autobiographical books that Dahl has written, and is a sequel to the first in this saga, which is Boy: Tales of Childhood. Boy was a fantastic retelling of Dahl’s school and home life as a child and teenager growing up in England and Wales and like most of Dahl’s work was filled with humour, adventure and eccentric characters.

While Solo did retain much of the humour witnessed in its predecessor the new subject matter of the novel lead it to be a much darker story. It tells the tale of Dahl, in his early 20’s setting off to East Africa as a young employee of the Shell Company. While his tales of these times are quite zany, the story takes a darker turn with the beginning of the Second World War. Dahl then decides to leave Shell and join the RAF in hopes of joining the war against Germany.

Not only did I find this novel engaging, funny and even scary at some times, but also educational. Dahl writes of his battles in the war as a fighter pilot in fights that before reading this novel I had either never heard of, or knew very little about. In particular much of the RAF’s battles with Germany in Greece were new to me.

Like all Dahl stories this book is extremely easy to read. His fluid use of language, which is primarily aimed at a younger audience means that seasoned readers could probably knock this book back in a day or so. Do not let the fact that Dahl is seen as a children’s author deter you from this story though as the subject matter is certainly very mature. Tales of squadron members being shot down in front of him, a plane crash in the desert which almost killed him and a detailed description of an oil tanker bombed by German soldiers while its occupants try to escape through fiery water are just some of the stories in this book.

I enjoyed every word of this story and would recommend it to anyone. I would of course suggest that if you do plan on reading it, make sure you read Boy first, as the two novels really are supposed to be read side by side.

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:12:44 PM by Critter »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Alien Redrum

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
Hunt at the Well of Eternity by James Reasoner

Recently, in the past year or so, Dorchester Publishing has started a new series called “The Adventures of Gabriel Hunt”. From the series’ official website:

From the towers of Manhattan to the jungles of South America, from the sands of the Sahara to the frozen crags of Antarctica, one man finds adventure everywhere he goes: GABRIEL HUNT.

Backed by the resources of the $100 million Hunt Foundation and armed with his trusty Colt revolver, Gabriel Hunt has always been ready for anything—but is he prepared for the adventures that lie in wait for him?

Or, alternatively, a modern day Indiana Jones.

Being a big fan of the Hard Case Crime series (which Dorchester also puts out), I’ve been meaning to grab a few of the Hunt books to see if they were to my liking but never got around to it. Their last sale, though, was so good that I ended up picking up all the titles to date. A bit risky because if I didn’t like them, I’d be stuck with them, but I figured it would be something up my alley and since they were around $2 a book, my bank wasn’t going to be broken anyway.

After reading the first book in the series, Hunt at the Well of Eternity, I’m already convinced my purchase was sound, as it lived up to all of my expectations.

The book starts off with a bang. Gabriel Hunt and his brother are at a fund raising event in New York when a mysterious woman attempts to hand a whiskey bottle full of water to them. Before she can, the waiters at the event whip out some guns, bullets start flying, the baddies grab the girl and run off into the night.

After the frenzy dies down (but not too long after), the brothers investigate the flag the bottle was wrapped in. Since the bottle had broke in all of the excitement, the flag and the remains of the bottle is all they have to go on, and there’s enough clues found for Hunt to determine his next destination: Florida. I guess he’s a little pissed that he was shot at, and the woman was intriguing enough for him to find.  Or he just likes adventure. Perhaps a little of both.

Before he even reaches the airport where his private plane awaits (one that he flies himself, mind you, because he’s a jack of all trades), he’s chased and shot at again on the highway. The man cannot get a break. Fortunately, Hunt escapes unscathed, makes it to Florida, gets shot at some more and his adventures continue to South America where he discovers the true nature of the water and why it’s important enough to kill over.

Hunt at the Well of Eternity
is non-stop action and adventure has everything you need in pulp fiction goodness: hot women, shootouts, mystery, suspense and, hell, it even has a bullwhip fight.

In addition to all of that, author James Reasoner wisely creates a mysterious back story for Hunt regarding his parents. Apparently, his parents disappeared on a cruise years before, and when I say disappeared, I mean disappeared. The ship went out full and came back empty. Every good series needs an underlying arc, and this may be the one for Hunt. The disappearance is lightly touched on only a few times in the book, but it’s enough to make you want to know more. I have a feeling this will be something that I will see more of, and I’m looking forward to it.

Like the Hard Case Crime series, the Gabriel Hunt adventures will be penned by different authors. The next book, Hunt Through the Cradle of Fear, is written by Charles Ardai. Not just the founder of both the Hard Case Crime and The Adventures of Gabriel Hunt lines, Ardai is also an established author. I dug his Little Girl Lost, so I’m looking forward to reading what he has to write about Hunt.

Like I said, this first book with Gabriel Hunt was a solid blind buy for me. I’m excited to see where the series is going to go.

(Full disclosure, I post these on my book blog as well, so they are copied and pasted over.)

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »
‘Going Solo’ by Roald Dahl

I recently finished reading Going Solo by one of my all time favourite authors, Roald Dahl. Going Solo is one of two autobiographical books that Dahl has written, and is a sequel to the first in this saga, which is Boy: Tales of Childhood. Boy was a fantastic retelling of Dahl’s school and home life as a child and teenager growing up in England and Wales and like most of Dahl’s work was filled with humour, adventure and eccentric characters.

While Solo did retain much of the humour witnessed in its predecessor the new subject matter of the novel lead it to be a much darker story. It tells the tale of Dahl, in his early 20’s setting off to East Africa as a young employee of the Shell Company. While his tales of these times are quite zany, the story takes a darker turn with the beginning of the Second World War. Dahl then decides to leave Shell and join the RAF in hopes of joining the war against Germany.

Not only did I find this novel engaging, funny and even scary at some times, but also educational. Dahl writes of his battles in the war as a fighter pilot in fights that before reading this novel I had either never heard of, or knew very little about. In particular much of the RAF’s battles with Germany in Greece were new to me.

Like all Dahl stories this book is extremely easy to read. His fluid use of language, which is primarily aimed at a younger audience means that seasoned readers could probably knock this book back in a day or so. Do not let the fact that Dahl is seen as a children’s author deter you from this story though as the subject matter is certainly very mature. Tales of squadron members being shot down in front of him, a plane crash in the desert which almost killed him and a detailed description of an oil tanker bombed by German soldiers while its occupants try to escape through fiery water are just some of the stories in this book.

I enjoyed every word of this story and would recommend it to anyone. I would of course suggest that if you do plan on reading it, make sure you read Boy first, as the two novels really are supposed to be read side by side.

It's so long since I read this, my memory is very fuzzy, but does the book detail the true story of that desert crash? The fact that he only crashed because he'd become lost and finally ran out of fuel?  :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:50 AM »
It does detail the desert crash and it isn't because he was lost. He was exactly where he was told to be but he was given wrong information. He was told to do go this area, and said there would be a landing strip. Instead there was just sand. After almost running out of fuel he got desperate and tried to land on the sand and that didn't go down well with the plane. Ended up in flames and his face smashed in.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »
First Blood

I haven't read this in years, but I still distinctly remember the ending, and how it was so fitting.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
It does detail the desert crash and it isn't because he was lost. He was exactly where he was told to be but he was given wrong information. He was told to do go this area, and said there would be a landing strip. Instead there was just sand. After almost running out of fuel he got desperate and tried to land on the sand and that didn't go down well with the plane. Ended up in flames and his face smashed in.

There's a healthy rumour he wasn't given wrong information! I saw an interview with some of his family and they fondly remember various spins he put on the event, including the original "Shot down over Libya" article he wrote, and they have a suspicion he simply missed the airstrip.

It was during a Roald Dahl night I think, where they ran a couple of the films, documentaries and Tales of the Unexpected episodes.

Critter

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »
Well that is how he wrote it in the book. But you never know with autobiographies if the author is being entirley truthful when it comes to the memory of their own mistakes  ::)

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »
Dahl was a charming man and very mischievous by all accounts. I think it was this event that caused him to meet his wife and I think he just like throwing different versions about.

Critter

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:33:54 AM »
Marvel’s Runaways

Runaways vol. 1: Pride & Joy
Runaways vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland
Runaways vol. 3: The Good Die Young
Runaways vol. 4: True Believers
Runaways vol. 5: Escape to New York
Runaways vol. 6: Parental Guidance
Runaways vol. 7: Live Fast
Runaways vol. 8: Dead End Kids

As some of you may know, while I read quite a bit of manga I don’t actually read too many Western comics. I have been trying to read more lately and have been introducing myself to new series so after researching this one online a little I decided to give it a go. I have so far read the first 8 volumes (listed above) which means I just completed the first arc written by Joss Whedon.

I have been hooked to this series since I picked up the very first issue and that was only last week. It seems that every new issue leaves on some sort of cliffhanger which probably explains why I have been reading through these so fast, I can’t put them down! Runaways is essentially a story set in the Marvel universe where superheroes and villains are real. The story follows a group of kids and teenagers who discover that their parents are all supervillians in an evil group bent on ridding the world of all humans. Our heroes then inherit some powers of their own and set out to undo their parent’s wrongs in the world and that is where this journey begins.

Being set in the Marvel universe our Runaways often have some run-ins with a few familiar faces which is always fun, the likes of Wolverine, Spiderman and Punisher have already showed up in the issues I have read. These little cameos enhance the story even more as it really brings to life a world of people living amoungst heroes.

The motley crew that we follow is really a mismatched group, with some unique and interesting powers while some are more typical. We have everything from a Cyborg able to manipulate machines, a witch, a young girl with super strength, a couple of aliens and a couple of the members even have a telepathic bond with a pet dinosaur! Seeing the group work together with all these strange and different powers is what I love about this series, that and also the fantastic story arcs.

I have loved every single one of the story arcs so far, but the most recent one I read in Dead End Kids was truly fantastic as our gang travelled back to 1907. New York in 1907 had superheroes as well, much like the modern New York in the story, and it was great seeing all the old fashioned heroes and their powers.

In the end I have been enjoying this series immensely, it is very well written and has kept my attention the whole time, and while the art style does change every now and then it remains consistent enough to enjoy. I recommend this series to any comic fan.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »

About the Book - this is from the book flap.
To most people, Fiona Bristow seems to have an idyllic life-a quaint house on an island off Seattle's coast, a thriving dog-training school, and a challenging volunteer job performing canine search and rescues. Not to mention her three intensely loyal Labs. But Fiona got to this point by surviving a nightmare...

Several years ago, Fiona was the only survivor of the Red Scarf serial killer, who shot and killed Fiona's cop fiancé and his K-9 partner.

On Orcas Island, Fiona found the peace and solitude she needed to rebuild her life. But all that changes on the day Simon Doyle barrels up her drive, desperate for her help. He's the reluctant owner of an out-of-control puppy, foisted upon him by his mother. Jaws has eaten through Simon's house, and he's at his wit's end.

To Fiona, Jaws is nothing she can't handle. Simon, however, is another matter. A newcomer to Orcas, he's a rugged and in-tensely private artist, known for the exquisite furniture he creates from wood. Simon never wanted a puppy-and he most definitely doesn't want a woman. Besides, the lanky redhead is not his type. But tell that to his hormones.

As Fiona embarks on training Jaws, and Simon begins to appreciate both dog and trainer, the past tears back into Fiona's life. A copycat killer has emerged out of the shadows, a man whose bloodlust has been channeled by a master with one motive: to reclaim the woman who slipped out of his hands...

My Thoughts

I have lost track of how many Nora Roberts books I've read.  I love her books.  I got this one yesterday and started it right away...and finished it last night.

The plot is somewhat complex, but not overly complicated, since there is a lot going on.  That is normal for a book by Roberts.  A lot of time is devoted to sharing things about Fiona's work with search and rescue and also her work as a dog trainer.  I thought all of that stuff was really interesting and added to the book.  The details make things seem more realistic without slowing things down. 

The mystery is decent and handled well.  There are some good suspenseful scenes, though the book isn't the most suspenseful that I've read.  There is a resolution to the mystery by the end of the book that makes sense and is logical.  I don't think it is predictable, though a few other more minor things are somewhat predictable.  There isn't a lot of violence, but there are a few situations that are a bit disturbing to read and could upset some people.  A relationship does develop between Fiona and Simon without it detracting from the other aspects of the book.  I do think the relationship is handled in a believable way.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and think it is very entertaining.

I did post a longer review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Search

Critter

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
I have never read a book by Nora Roberts but I have heard some good things. Maybe this one would be a good one to introduce myself to her writing.

Critter

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »
The Beach by Alex Garland

I picked up a copy of The Beach a while ago for a very cheap $10 and then somewhat forgot about it for a long time. Recently though I felt like something to read and picked it up, only to have finished it two days later, this for me is very fast as I am usually a slow reader. While reading this book I became so absorbed that I just couldn’t put it down, I even took it to the TV room with me while I was watching a show and read it in every ad break.

The reason I picked the book up in the first place is because I once saw the film years ago, and while I don’t remember almost anything at all of what happened in it, I had a vague memory of enjoying it. The Beach see’s a young GAP-year traveler called Richard heading off to Thailand to seek adventure, only to get lost in the world of the “beach”, a sort of hidden tropical paradise. This place of Eden as it comes to be known however has many dark secrets, and eventually starts to turn on Richard after a series of strange and frightening events.

I was hooked in this book from the very first chapter and I felt that the pace was perfect, sometimes slow and relaxed, other times fast and exciting, much like life on the beach itself. Some parts of this novel are truly haunting and will stay with me for a long time, but I never found any sections hard to read and I am already planning to read this one many more times. There is a lot of mystery to this story, and the way it is written makes it seem like it could really have happened. It is a work of fiction, but more often than not it felt like I was reading an account of true events that actually happened, which heightened the sense of realism.

I highly recommend this one for anyone who loves books in exotic or tropical locations, a really great read.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
The best book I've ever read is Stephen King's It. Reading this absolute epic story first the first time was an experience I'll never forget. The very last paragraph is the most beautiful thing ever written.
I actually get emotional just thinking about it, just the way in which it was written and how King portrays the essence of childhood.

If you haven't read It, by all means do so. It will make you laugh, cry and scare you like you never thought possible.