Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 230477 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #660 on: September 21, 2012, 01:08:46 AM »
Cool! I've heard that they are filming some stuff in London aswell for Fast 6.
But i gotta disagree with you on something and that is with how the story is being developed right now.
For me personally i really liked the first and second movie the best! (the tokyo drift. What a waste IMO)
For me The Fast franchise is about the car races, car chases etc. But i do understand with 6 movies
that they gotta mix it up a bit. I just bought the complete fast & furious set 1-5 on blu. So i'm looking forward
to check it out again!  
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #661 on: September 21, 2012, 01:13:47 AM »
So far I would rank them in the order 1/5/4/2/3 so it seems we both agree the third is the worst and the first is the best. I hope they keep Han in it for a while yet, whilst I bet Lucas Black is sat at home praying for the storyline in the newer ones to get past the third film so he can be in something people have heard of again.

For those that didn't know, the storyline goes 1/2/4/5/3 so not that confusing and it has all been tied together well.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »
So far I would rank them in the order 1/5/4/2/3 so it seems we both agree the third is the worst and the first is the best. I hope they keep Han in it for a while yet, whilst I bet Lucas Black is sat at home praying for the storyline in the newer ones to get past the third film so he can be in something people have heard of again.

For those that didn't know, the storyline goes 1/2/4/5/3 so not that confusing and it has all been tied together well.

I totally agree on the bolded part! :)

My rank would be - 1/2/4/5/3. (dont know why did that Tokyo stuff) but thats me tho.
And i am real curious how they will do it with the number 6 tho.
As you said (a guilty pleasure for me aswell  :redcard:)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 21, 2012, 01:38:44 AM »
Quote from: samuelrichardscott

God Bless America (2011)

Highly recommended. 4.5/5
Another one who like this film here ;D
That happen so rarely when I praise a movie arround here :(

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #664 on: September 21, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »

Creation (2009)

Overview:
What happens when a world-renowned scientist, crushed by the loss of his eldest daughter, formulates a theory in conflict with religious dogma? This is the story of Charles Darwin and his master-work 'The Origin of Species'. It tells of a global revolution played out the confines of a small English village; a passionate marriage torn apart by the most dangerous idea in history; and a theory saved from extinction by the logic of a child.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- I didn't think Paul Bettany could pull off the role of Charles Darwin, but he does so very well. Jennifer Connelly is also great as his wife.
- The film does look a lot at Darwin's personal conflicts with religion (his wife was deeply religious, Darwin was an athiest) but the religious aspect is not overdone.
- The emotional journey Darwin went on is also portrayed very well, though A LOT of artistic liberties have been taken.
Cons:
- At times it felt a little melodramatic.
- The 'Darwin slowly going mad' bit was overdone at times.
Overall:
It's a good movie with a great cast. Strays quite a bit from the truth at times, but if you can get past that fact, I recommended it. A generous 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #665 on: September 21, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »

World's Greatest Dad (2009)

Overview:
A thoughtful but outrageous comedy from Bobcat Goldthwait, World’s Greatest Dad is a story about a man who learns that the things you want most may not be the things that make you happy. Robin Williams stars as Lance Clayton, a man who has learnt to settle. He dreamed of being a rich and famous writer, but has only managed to make it as a high school poetry teacher. His only son Kyle (Daryl Sabara) is an insufferable jackass who won’t give his father the time of day. Then, in the wake of a freak accident, Lance suffers the worst tragedy and the greatest opportunity of his life. He is suddenly faced with the possibility of all the fame, fortune and popularity he ever dreamed of, if only he can live with the knowledge of how he got there.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Robin Williams. Why can't he keep doing this darker comedy? It suits him amazingly well and he's excellent at it.
- The dialogue, as to be expected with Goldthwait's movies, is very dry and very funny.
- The ending just comes in one big swoop, and plays out suitably well for such a morbid topic.
Cons:
- A little too much time spent on the love interest.
- The other male teacher that does creative writing seemed completely out of place.
Overall:
If you like your comedy dark, then this is recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #666 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
For those with Sky, this is on Skyplayer (how I watched it).

Jimmy, you should definately check out this and Sleeping Dogs Lie.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #667 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »

Clean Slate (1994)

Overview:
Dana Carvey (Wayne's World), Valeria Golino (Rain Man), James Earl Jones (The Lion King), Kevin Pollak (The Usual Suspects) and Michael Murphy (Magnolia) star in the brightest comedy in years! Private investigator M.L. Pogue (Carvey) has developed a rare case of amnesia that causes him to forget all the details of his life each time he falls asleep. But that's not his only problem. He's also the key witness in the murder trial of a dangerous mobster - and he can't remember the guy, the crime or even his own name! Pogue attempts to put the pieces of the case - and his life - back in order with the help of a tape recorder and an eye-patched pooch. But with his deadline to testify on the case fast approaching and bad guys coming at him from every angle, it's definitely a situation that anyone would want to forget!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- A good supporting cast. Kevin Pollak is better than usual, James Earl Jones is always great and Valeria Golino also does a good job.
- I quite like the idea that the material witness for a murder trial wakes up each day with his memory gone.
- There are some good comedy situations here and although they aren't utilised the best, it's passable.
Cons:
- Outside of the Wayne's World movies, I just can't help but find Dana Carvey to be quite untalented.
- Dana Carvey does not fit the characteristics of his character. We needed someone a bit more... manly.
- At times it wasn't paced particularly well and just sort of plodded along.
Overall:
Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #668 on: September 21, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »

Buffalo Bill (1944)

Overview:
Part fact, part fiction, all legend... This epic western chronicles the life and times of the world's most legendary cowboy. Relive the adventures of Colonel William "Buffalo Bill" Cody (JOEL McCREA), from his army days negotiating peace with Native American chief Yellow Hand (ANTHONY QUINN) to his marriage with Eastern belle Louisa (MAUREEN O'HARA). Culminating in his remarkable stint as an international Wild West showman, this action-packed movie celebrates the rugged individualism of the man who represents the frontier spirit.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Some of the action scenes are well shot and done on a large enough scale to feel authentic.
- There are some good set pieces, my favourite of which is Buffalo Bill shooting in the fairground.
- Maureen O'Hara. Ever a star, she shines here around an otherwise average cast.
Cons:
- Anthony Quinn as Chief Yellow Hand? Really?
- I like my biopics to be as close to fact as possible and whilst I understand artistic license is often required, if you read about Buffalo Bill there seems to be more fiction than fact here.
- Whilst Maureen O'Hara excels, there isn't much chemistry between her and Joel McCrea.
Overall:
A modest effort that is worth a look for western fans. Rent it. 3/5

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #669 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »

World's Greatest Dad (2009)

Thanks for reminding me that this was still in my unwatched-pile.
Watched it tonight and agree with your rating, even though not quite with your "Cons".

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #670 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I can see why the love interest and other teacher are there but I just felt it didn't quite fit in very well. Glad you liked it though.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #671 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Overview:
"My name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim." And while Blazing Saddles is deliriously funny, most people call it deliriously funnier, thanks to this special, extras-packed 30th-Anniversary Edition.
Filmmmaker, star and paddle-ball wiz Mel Brooks goes way out West and way out of his mind with a spiffy spoof set in an 1874 Old West where 1974 Hollywood is just one soundstage away - and where nonstop fun blasts prejudices to the high comedy heavens. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickens, Harvey Korman, Madeline Khan and more join for horseplay and horselaughs, making Blazing Saddles the #6 choice among the American Film Insitiute's Top-100 Comedies. Give these out to the boys in lieu of pay. And enjoy.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Cleavon Little is great in the lead role. Obviously Gene Wilder and Madeline Kahn don't go amiss either.
- Several fantastic set pieces. The quicksand segment is worth picking this movie up for alone.
- There are some very funny musical moments, the best being Kahn performing "I'm So Tired".
- I've seen this several times now and the replay value is very high. Some parts still make me laugh even though I know they're coming.
Cons:
- You can see there is quite a lot of improvisation and like any comedy, a couple of moments whimper to the wayside.
- I like the end just up until they start running around the studio. It stops it becoming highly recommended from me.
Overall:
The best western comedy ever and worthy of it's place in all the 'top movie' lists it makes. Recommended. 4/5
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:21:07 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #672 on: September 22, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »

Shark Night (2011)

Overview:
Arriving by boat at her family’s Louisiana lake island cabin, Sara (Sara Paxton, Superhero Movie, Last House on the Left) and her friends quickly strip down to their swimsuits for a weekend of fun in the sun. But when star football player Malik (Sinqua Walls) stumbles from the salt-water lake with his arm torn off, the party mood quickly evaporates. Assuming the injury was caused by a freak wake-boarding accident, the group realises they have to get Malik to a hospital on the other side of the lake, and fast. But as they set out in a tiny speedboat, the college friends discover the lake has been stocked with hundreds of massive, flesh-eating sharks! As they face one grizzly death after another, Sara and the others struggle desperately to fend off the sharks, get help and stay alive long enough to reach the safety of dry land.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Donal Logue is the best actor here, playing the Sheriff.
- There are some good kill scenes, the best being Joel David Moore's (not a spoiler really considering the genre and the part he plays!).
- It's a fun take on the genre with how the sharks have made it to the lake (won't spoil that).
Cons:
- The CGI isn't of the highest quality.
- The kills don't really come fast enough.
- It's light on tension.
Overall:
This is a favourite sub-genre of mine so whilst most will hate this, I had a bit of fun. Rent it. 3/5

As a side note, the 3D Blu-ray I borrowed was okay. The odd effect of something jumping out but it was mainly adding depth to the surroundings.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #673 on: September 23, 2012, 12:13:48 AM »

Duck Soup (1933)

Overview:
Duck Soup captures some of the Marx Brothers' zaniest routines and funniest quips, creating a laugh-out-loud spectacle of politics gone haywire. Backed by wealthy widow Mrs. Teasdale (regular Marx straightwoman Margaret Dumont), Groucho becomes the leader of Freedonia, quickly frustrating his cabinet and offending the aggressive neighbouring country to the point of war. Chico and Harpo, sent by the rival country, spy on Groucho and try to steal his battle plans, but when war does come, loyalties become muddled all around. Director Leo McCarey gets the most out of the brothers, letting them be their wackiest best in what many critics consider to be the funniest Marx Brothers movie. Groucho plays Rufus T. Firefly, one of his best characters. The one-liners fly through the air like the bombs exploding in the hysterical battle scene. Duck Soup is a must-see comedy spectacular; don't blink or you'll miss yet another stinger....

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Zeppo gets a much bigger role in this movie than in other Marx Brothers outings.
- There is some very good Vaudeville comedy, making a decent transition to the big screen.
- The encounters with the lemonade vendor just cracked me up.
Cons:
- I wasn't a fan of the musical numbers in this one.
- Sometimes the satire and the slapstick don't work well with each other.
Overall:
This is my least favourite Marx Brothers movie I have seen which will be an unpopular opinion I'm sure. However, I still recommend it! 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #674 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »

Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon (2008)

Overview:
In a country torn asunder by civil war, Zhao (Andy Lau), a common man rises up the ranks to command an army that liberates the land from an evil warlord. His heroism becomes legend but when a newly enthroned king decides peace can only be achieved by defeating the warlords once and for all, the aging Zhao is called into action once again for his final and greatest campaign.
With the stirring majesty of Braveheart, the blistering battles of Hero and the heart-wrenching drama of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Three Kingdoms brings to life one of the greatest episodes in Chinese history in all its staggering scale and splendour.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Andy Lau and Sammo Hung Kam-Bo. Two of the greatest Eastern actors do well here and suit their roles. Maggie Q also stepped up to the mark, although it was a shame that she doesn't appear to the latter stages.
- Just as he did more recently with 14 Blades, director Daniel Lee has done a great job with the scale of the film. I doubt Hollywood could manage this scale with a $25m budget.
- The battle scenes are very well played out. Some cracking one on one fights that really show the skills and the training of the cast involved.
Cons:
- The "Three Kingdoms" fable is hard to condense into a 100 minute movie. John Woo's "Red Cliff" needed two full movies and there was also an 80+ episode show telling this story so imagine a lot has been removed from the story in order to fit it in. It does feel at times that the dialogue is there simply to tell the story outline and link the battles.
- Some of the editing is debatable. A lot of cuts, even in non-action scenes when longer shots would've suited much better.
Overall:
It's recommended viewing if you're a fan of the cast, but it should have been longer and had more dramatic depth. Because of the battle scenes, I'll bump it half a point to a 3.5/5
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:18:19 PM by samuelrichardscott »