Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 232080 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #540 on: May 25, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »

Husk (2011)

Overview:
When a murder of crows smash into the windshield, a group of young friends are forced to abandon the vehicle, leaving them stranded beside a desolate cornfield. Hidden deep within the cornfield they find a crumbling farmhouse – but they soon discover that instead of a sanctuary, the house is actually the centre of a terrifying supernatural ritual that they are about to become a part of...

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- A great, if overused setting. Old confined house... cornfield... scarecrow...
- The car crash was done quite well and looked a lot more impressive than the rest of the movie.
- Tammin Sursok is the best cast member here and perhaps someone to look out for if given a chance.
Cons:
- Can a horror film be any more cliched?
- There were several glaring plot holes that annoyed me.
- The majority of the cast are befitting of this below average horror.
- Yawn! Some of the storytelling was beyond boring.
Overall:
Below average scares. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #541 on: May 25, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »
Sorry RossRoy for posting several in a row. Playing catch up and got 17 to go later...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #542 on: May 26, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »

The Duchess (2008)

Overview:
A chronicle of the life of the 18th century aristocrat Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, an ancestor of Princess Diana who was alernately celebrated and reviled for her extravagant political and personal life. From Georgiana's passionate and doomed affair with Earl Grey to the complex ménage à trois with her husband and her best friend, Lady Bess Foster, The Duchess is a very contemporary tale of fame, notoriety and the search for love.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Who would've thought that the story of the Duchess of Devonshire was an interesting one?
- The cast all put in excellent performances, especially Keira Knightley, Dominic Cooper, Hayley Atwell and Ralph Fiennes.
- The costume and set design is absolutely astonishing.
- Dialogue is good for the time, but easy to follow and accessible for the regular viewer.
Cons:
- I didn't like the way it was marketed based on The Duchess' future relative, Princess Diana.
- Although the slow pace is purposeful to see the break-up of the relationship, it is occassionally too slow.
Overall:
An above average costume drama with an excellent British cast. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #543 on: May 26, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »

Gone Baby Gone (2007)

Overview:
Critics are calling Ben Affleck’s directorial debut "impressive."¹ When two young private detectives (Casey Affleck, Good Will Hunting, and Michelle Monaghan, Mission: Impossible III) are hired to take a closer look into the mysterious disappearance of a little girl, they soon unravel a multitude of twists and turns where nothing is what it seems. Ultimately they must risk everything — their relationship, their sanity, and even their lives — in the search to find her. Morgan Freeman and Amy Ryan are electrifying, and "Casey Affleck carries a beautifully understated intensity"² in this mesmerising, edge-of-your-seat crime thriller.

My Thoughts:
Wow. Talk about a morally ambiguous ending that brings up so many talking points. This is much more deeper on so many levels than a simple kidnapping movie. Well written, well paced, perfectly cast, this is a cracking movie. It may even be said that Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan put in career defining performances! Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #544 on: May 26, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »

Skyline (2010)

Overview:
The residents of Los Angeles are awakened in the dead of night by an eerie light beaming through the window. Like moths to a flame, the light source is drawing people outside before they suddenly vanish into thin air.
As the world unravels around them, our band of survivors soon discover they must fight for their lives against the onslaught of a mysterious alien horde.
Who or what are these extraterrestials and how long before mankind succumbs to their overwhelming power?
Skyline is a high velocity special effects bonanza in the tradition of Cloverfield or 2012.

My Thoughts:
I went into these with reasonably low expectations based on what I had heard/read and it's fair to say it isn't a great film. Although the story has a couple of intriguing moments, it's very basic and the dialogue mediocre at best. The acting is between that of a highly praised movie and an Asylum knock-off. The special effects are better than you would think on a $10m budget though and despite some poor outings from the Strause brothers, they could still surprise in the future. Overall, rent it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #545 on: May 26, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »

Enchanted (2007)

Overview:
A fairy tale comes to life in this thoroughly original, new Disney Classic. Drawing inspiration from its classic heritage, Disney creates an inspired story unlike any you've experienced before. Filled with excitement, fun and incredible music from the legendary Alan Menken, Enchanted is the ultimate fish-out-of-water adventure. For princess-to-be Giselle, life is a fairy tale – until she's banished from the animated land of Andalasia and thrust into the very unmagical, live-action world of modern-day Manhattan. When a cynical, no-nonsense divorce lawyer comes to her aid, little does he realise this joyful, wide-eyed innocent is about to enchant him. Enchanted – the musical comedy that will have your entire family under its spell.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Amy Adams makes a perfect Disney princess. Bubbly personality and she owns the screen here.
- The look and colours of the special effects suit the tone of the movie very well.
- There's some slightly more adult humour well masked to make it enjoyable for all.
- It's well paced and never gets boring.
Cons:
- It's as formulaic a love story as Disney can possibly come up with.
- I did find Patrick Dempsey to be the weak link cast wise.
Overall:
Yes, it is formulaic but it is one of Disney's best live action films of recent years. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #546 on: May 26, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »

Jump In! (2007)

Overview:
Bursting with energy, a brand-new soundtrack and Double Dutch fun, the hit Disney Channel Original Movie Jump In! is now available for the first time ever on DVD – with exciting, never-before-seen bonus features that will have you jumpin'!
Brooklyn teenager Izzy Daniels (Corbin Bleu of High School Musical) is training to become a boxing champ – because it's dad's dream. Yet, intrigued by the cool moves involved in Double Dutch, he agrees to help out his neighbor Mary (Keke Palmer) when she needs a fourth member on her jump rope team. The sport takes more talent and teamwork than Izzy expected, but along the way, he learns its more important to follow his own heart.
Featuring an all-star cast, amazing Double Dutch moves and the coolest music, Jump In! celebrates the power of finding and pursuing your dreams. Own all the excitement and the exclusive extras available only on this Freestyle Edition DVD.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- How many double dutch movies are out there?
- Some of the double dutch stunts and flips admittedly look very impressive.
- Corbin Bleu is a typical Disney star. I doubt he'll manage as big a career after his Disney days though.
Cons:
- The character of Rodney is poorly written and utilised.
- The boxing side of the story gets repetitive.
- You can see the ending coming as soon as the double dutch contest is mentioned.
Overall:
Standard inspirational Disney sports movie with a generally mediocre cast. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #547 on: May 26, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

The Glimmer Man (1996)

Overview:
The desperate hunt for a serial killer has just got rougher for LAPD homicide detectives Jack Cole and Jim Campbell. They've become partners.
Punches mix with punchlines and the wit hits the fan when Steven Seagal (Under Siege) playes Cole and Keenen Ivory Wayans (TV's In Living Colour) is Campbell in the searing thriller The Glimmer Man. Popular comic Wayans brings his wisecracking stock-in-trade to his hard-hitting role. Action icon Seagal draws on his trademark sock-in-trade, chopping through dynamic martial arts sequences and getting in his own wry comedy chops as well.
Wearing Buddhist prayer beads, relying on ancient potions and living by Eastern philosophies, ex-New Yorker Cole is unlike any partner the street-savvy Campbell has ever seen. The way Campbell sees it, secretive Cole is also something else: suspect No1 in their murder investigation!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Seagal and Wayans have a good on-screen chemistry. Also Stephen Tobolowsky.
- Full of the hilarious one-liners from Seagal I have come to love.
- Some fun, very OTT action scenes and a reasonably good story.
Cons:
- This is a bu the numbers action thriller. Nothing new here.
- A lot of the lower echelons of the cast leave a lot to be desired.
- Sometimes the fight choreography editing is a bit too choppy, even by Seagal's standards.
Overall:
If you like Seagal, you'll like this. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #548 on: May 26, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

Overview:
From the twisted mind of acclaimed musician and director Rob Zombie, comes The Devil's Rejects - a nerve shreddingly violent road trip through the weirdest parts of America and the darkest corners of your mind.
This grisly tale of mayhem reunites the homicidal members of the Satanic Firefly family as they go on a rampage of senseless slaughter, pursued by a pair of sadistic bounty-hunters and an outlaw sherrif hell-bent on revenge.
When the they finally meet, prepare yourself for one of the most depraved and terrifying showdowns you'll ever see.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Finally, a Rob Zombie movie I haven't felt was overrated.
- Some great cameos from some horror legends along with an impressive main cast.
- The special effects are very well done and the gore comes thick and fast.
- The opening scene sets the movie up brilliantly.
Cons:
- Although very much above average, there's no originality.
- Danny Trejo, as is often the case, was criminally underused.
Overall:
Definately recommended for horror fans. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »

Mama's Boy (2007)

Overview:
Eccentric Jeffrey Mannus is 29 years old and still lives at home with his mom, Jan. He sees no reason to alter this arrangement, but his perfect world is upended when Jan meets Mert, a motivational speaker. Mert successfully woos Jan and moves in on Jeffrey's territory, something Jeffrey will not tolerate. Jeffrey enlists the aid of an unlikely ally, an aspiring singer-songwriter, Nora, with an anti-establishment penchant and a soft spot for him. As the war between Mert and Jeffrey escalates, something unprecedented happens -- slowly, to both his own surprise and horror, Jeffrey discovers his inner adult.

My Thoughts:
Napoleon Dynamite was an great film in my opinion and Jon Heder suited the role of the title character very much. Everything else? I just don't find him to be a good actor. In Mama's Boy, he is joined by some of cinema's greats including Eli Wallach, Jeff Bridges and Diane Keaton, as well as some other half-decent stars like Anna Faris and it really shows Heder's lack of talent up... fast. Still, if you can get past this, there is a reasonably entertaining comedy tucked away here. The storyline is formulaic, the jokes nothing new, but it was entertaining enough to recommend a low end rental. With a proper lead actor though, it would've been better. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #550 on: May 28, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

Underdog (2007)

Overview:
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a frog...no, it's Disney's Underdog — a flying, talking canine caped crusader! After an accident in the mysterious lab of mad scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister, an ordinary beagle named Shoeshine finds himself with extraordinary powers...and the ability to talk!
Armed with a fetching superhero costume, Underdog vows to protect the beleaguered citizens of Capital City and, in particular, a beautiful spaniel named Polly Purebred. When a diabolical plot by Barsinister and his overgrown henchman Cad threatens to destroy Capital City, only Underwear...(oops!)...Underdog can save the day. Based on the original hit animated TV series Underdog — your family will love watching the next great hero take a big bite out of crime.

My Thoughts:
I've never seen the cartoon series on which this movie is based so Frederik Du Chau's movie written by Adam Rifkin amongst others, is my first foray into this superhero animal. All I can say, is 'meh'. The acting is standard, the CGI and special effects nothing special and the storyline typically formulaic. Still, I did find there were a couple of laughs, and it's always great to see James Belushi in anything. Some will recognise a young Taylor Momsen amongst the supporting cast and the main voices are supplied by Jason Lee and Amy Adams. If you're a fan of these Disney animal movies, this has a better budget and cast than most, so is worthy of a rental though it's unspectacular. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #551 on: May 28, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

The Last Seven (2010)

Overview:
Dead Man Running's Tamer Hasan and Danny Dyer explosively reunite for this taut action-thriller in which a cataclysmic event has left London deserted and under the thrall of a sinister presence.
When William (Simon Phillips) awakes from unconsciousness, he finds himself confused and alone in an empty London Street. As he explores the area, he discovers that not only are all the people missing but so are his memories.
A chance encounter teams him up with six other lost souls, led by soldier Jack (Hassan), who are all haunted by fractured memories of a devastating event. After a terrifying attack on one of the survivors, Jack realises they are not the only survivors and the race is on to escape the capital and the darkness that stalks its desolate streets.

My Thoughts:
We, the British, have some of the greatest talent in cinema today. From our directors like Christopher Nolan and James Cameron to our acting supremos like Keira Knightley, Dame Judi Dench, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine and Kristen Scott Thomas, we are brimming with talent. Unfortunately, like the film industry of any country, we have our z-list annoyances who churn out film after film. Now strangely, I've enjoyed some of Tamer Hassans and Danny Dyers output but this must rank amongst even their worst. Delivering cliched lines poorly in a boring script, there is not much to enjoy in The Last Seven. Director Imran Naqri debuts his lack of ability, although he does manage to get some half decent shots of an 'empty' London, even if it is nowhere near to the standard of that seen in 28 Days Later. There are a couple of reasonable ideas hidden in the plot somewhere, but it doesn't stop it being a very poor film in every aspect which is a blight on the lower end of the British film industry. Skip it. 1/5
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:44:57 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #552 on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »

Three and Out (2008)

Overview:
Paul Callow (Mackenzie Crook) is fed up with city life and driving trains and when two people fall under his train in as many weeks, he really has had enough! Then he hears the 'three and out' rule - three fatal accidents in a month qualifies you for early retirement with 10 years salary... lump sum! Paul suddenly sees a way of clearing his debts and escaping to a better life and all he has to do is find a willing victim. Enter down and out Tommy Cassidy (Colm Meaney) who is willing to help Paul out by being his third fatality, but not before he ties up a few loose ends with his long suffering ex-wife (Imelda Staunton) and his beautiful daughter (Gemma Arterton). Over the course of the weekend, relationships between all four are changed forever but when Monday morning arrives, Paul and Tommy are confronted with the harsh reality of the deal they struck. Surely they won't go through with it. Or will they?

My Thoughts:
After watching The Last Seven and becoming depressed about the British film industry, I decided to chuck on something with better cast members. Three and Out stars Mackenzie Crook, Gemma Arteton, Imelda Staunton and the ever underrated Colm Meaney in what is a bit of a bizarre dramedy. Mackenzie Crook believes he will get ten years salary and early retirement if he kills a third person in a month whilst driving his train so searches for the perfect suicidal man in Meaney. Circumstances of course change and although the film isn't great and the comedy is a lot darker than one may expect, there is enough to enjoy here through a decent, if nothing special, script and the good cast. High end rental. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #553 on: May 29, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »

The Ward (2010)

Overview:
John Carpenter's The Ward, a psychological thriller about a young woman locked in a mysterious mental institution in the 1960s, marks iconic horror master John Carpenter's first feature film in over seven years.
Kristen (Amber Heard), a beautiful but troubled young woman, finds herself bruised, cut, drugged, and held against her will in a remote ward of a psychiatric hospital. She is completely disoriented, with no idea why she was brought to this place and no memory of her life before being admitted. All she knows is that she isn't safe.
The other patients in the ward--four equally disturbed young women--offer no answers, and Kristen quickly realizes things are not as they seem. The air is heavy with secrets, and at night, when the hospital is dark and foreboding, she hears strange and frightening sounds. It appears they are not alone.
One-by-one, the other girls begin to disappear and Kristen must find a way out of this hellish place before she, too, becomes a victim. As she struggles to escape, she will uncover a truth far more dangerous and horrifying than anyone could have imagined.

My Thoughts:
John Carpenter is one of my favourite directors of all time and in the eighties, he made hit after hit. The Ward is his long awaited return to directing after taking a nine year break since 2001's Ghosts of Mars (bar a couple of episodes of Masters of Horror) and is a movie I have wanted to see ever since release, though only now just got around to it. Unfortunately, it isn't a return to his previous form although that doesn't mean it isn't a capable little psychological horror. The atmosphere is superbly brought to our screens and the main cast, made up of reasonably well known actresses such as Amber Heard, Danielle Panabaker, Lyndsy Fonseca and Mika Boorem, do an above average job in their roles. So why am I not shouting about The Ward from the rooftops? Whilst the technical side of things are good, the story isn't fresh and feels tired in parts. Although the dialogue feels right, it is sometimes poorly thought out and leads to a couple of plot holes which the twist at the end re-iterates. Don't get me wrong, this is a good film that is worth a look, but I want the old Carpenter back. 3/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 29, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
I entirely gree with you on The Ward. While not a classic of the lies he made in the 80s, it is quite the capable horror trip still, even if the ending is somewhat predictable.