Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 231339 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »
btw Jon, I had no intention of viewing a Chandredsekhar directed movie after Club Dread, but decided on some rewatches today and random.org selects all. Funny how things work out sometimes. :laugh:

Note: If anyone missed it, I meant The Dukes of Hazzard, bottom of page 35.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »

U2: Rattle and Hum (1988)

Overview:
A concert movie on an unprecedented scale. Rattle And Hum captures U2 – on and off the stage – during their triumphant Joshua Tree tour. From the giant technicolour stadium celebrations to the black-and-white intensity of the indoor shows, this is U2 at their best. Follow the group across America, exploring new influences, playing with the legendary B.B. King, on a journey which takes them from Dublin to Graceland, from San Francisco to the streets of Harlem, from The Joshua Tree to Rattle And Hum.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- U2 singing "With Or Without You" with the church choir in Harlem makes the hair on your neck stand up. Phenomenal.
- There's some good behind-the-scenes footage, but more importantly, some cracking concert footage.
- The music is from U2's heyday IMO and the best they have ever performed.
Cons:
- I would've liked some more interesting interviews and a bit more depth.
- Whilst one of the greatest bands of all-time, I find it hard to look past Bono being a complete twat.
Overall:
The great music overshadows Bono's pretentiousness. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #527 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »

Make It Happen (2008)

Overview:
Lauryn is a girl from small-town Indiana who moves to Chicago with dreams of entering the Chicago School of Music and Dance. But after rejection and a series of misfortunes she finds herself working in a burlesque club. The club proves to be a place of conflict and self-discovery, helping Lauryn to realize that even though plans may change, dreams never do.
From the writer of SAVE THE LAST DANCE and STEP UP and starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead (DIE HARD 4.0) MAKE IT HAPPEN is the uplifting story of how hard work and determination can make any dream come true.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Better music choices than most films of this sub-genre.
- The characters were likeable, and the cast capable. Mary Elizabeth Winstead isn't the most obvious choice, but she does ok.
- The dancing scenes in the club were well shot, and not overlong.
Cons:
- Another mediocre movie in an already flooded sub-genre.
- The story is as formulaic as they come. If you can't see the ending a mile off, you're braindead.
- There are no outstanding performances from any of the cast.
Overall:
- If you enjoyed films like Save the Last Dance, you'll enjoy this. If not, you won't. Simples. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »

Legion (2009)

Overview:
At a remote desert truck stop, the fate of the world will be decided. The armies of evil are massing and the only thing standing in their way is the Archangel Michael (Paul Bettany, THE DA VINCI CODE). Fully armed and ready for battle, he is joined by a group of strangers who are about to become unwitting soldiers on the frontline of the Apocalypse. Their mission: protect a waitress and her sacred unborn child from the relentless, bloody siege of the demonic legion. With a cast that includes Dennis Quaid (G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA), Tyrese Gibson (TRANSFORMERS) and Lucas Black (JARHEAD), get ready for the ultimate fight between good and evil.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Some very good special effects in parts (not all of it is CGI), really giving the movie the feel of apocalypstic danger. Major note to the toddler in the final act. Freaky as hell.
- A great little cameo by Doug Jones as the ice cream man. Blink and you'll miss it.
- We have a well assembled cast; even Lucas Black and Tyrese Gibson suit their roles.
- The fight scene between Michael and Gabriel was very enjoyable.
Cons:
- It just feels a bit of a mess structurally. It needed to pick the direction it wanted to go in, and stick with it.
- It ends a little too abruptly in my opinion. Feels rushed.
- The dialogue is sometimes drawn out, taking away from the tense feel of the situation.
Overall:
Harshly dealt with by critics, Legion is watchable but flawed. 3/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
I have a soft spot for this kind of film. Overall I liked The Propjecy (which I saw at a festival when it was still God's Army) better than this. Too bad the Blu-ray gets so bad reviews on the picture quality (well, on the film too, but I know what I am getting into :laugh:)

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »

Nine (2009)

Overview:
"NINE" is a vibrant and provocative film that follows the life of world famous film director Guido Contini (Daniel Day-Lewis) as he reaches a creative and personal crisis of epic proportions, while balancing the numerous women in his life including his wife (Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Penélope Cruz), his film star muse (Nicole Kidman), his confidant and costume designer (Judi Dench), an American fashion journalist (Kate Hudson), the whore from his youth (Fergie) and his mother (Sophia Loren). Nine is directed by Academy-Award® winning director of Chicago, Rob Marshall.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman and Kate Hudson in the one movie? Yay.
- The "big" musical scenes and the choreography are top notch.
Cons:
- The story bored me. It felt lazy, contrived and I just didn't get interested.
- Daniel Day-Lewis. A fantastic actor made to look an absolute fool here.
- The characters were unlikeable and I couldn't have cared less about any of them.
Overall:
Apart from recent movies being flops, Rob Marshall is just like the main director character. He's run out of ideas and has no script. Starpower alone cannot save a movie. Skip it. 1.5/5

Najemikon

« Reply #531 on: April 20, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »
I've heard this film is bad, but have you ever seen 8½ (Otto e mezzo)? Nine was supposed to be some sort of tribute. I wondered how it compared directly at least. Probably not well!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »
I haven't, but is now on my radar thanks.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

Moneyball (2011)

Overview:
Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) challenges the system and defies conventional wisdom when he is forced to rebuild his small-market team, on a limited budget. Despite opposition from the old guard, the media, fans and their own field manager (Philip Seymour Hoffman), Beane - with the help of a young, number-crunching, Yale-educated economist (Jonah Hill) - develops a roster of misfits and changes the way the game is played forever.
Nominated for Six Academy Awards® including Best Picture!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Using a more statistical approach in selecting players makes for an interesting storyline and the fact it's based on a true story makes it all the more intriguing.
- Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. All well picked cast members. Wasn't sure Hill had it in him for this sort of role but he is an undervalued actor, whilst PSH continues to be one of the best in the business.
- It's well written and easily approachable for a non-baseball fan like myself.
- Bennett Miller's long-awaited follow up to Capote was worth the wait overall.
Cons:
- The scenes involving his wife (Robin Wright) and his daughter. They didn't really fit and affected the pacing a little.
- I also didn't like the scenes focusing on Pitt during game time as this also slowed the film down quite a bit.
Overall:
Certainly a solid film, but should not of been nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2012, 02:14:36 AM »

Justice (2011)

Overview:
High school teacher Will Gerard (Nicolas Cage) lives a life of content domesticity with his beautiful wife Laura (January Jones) until one night’s horrific events turns their world upside when Laura is left for dead after being violently attacked.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Guy Pearce. A fine Australian actor who does the business here as Simon.
- More good support in the way of January Jones, Xander Berkeley, David Jensen, Harold Perrineau and Jennifer Carpenter.
- The story is solid enough until it gets a bit silly in the second half. Some interesting twists on the vigilante stance.
- Donaldson's direction is smooth and well paced. It's a technically well made thriller.
Cons:
- Nicolas Cage. This movie is right for him but it just failed to bring much life into his character.
- The conspiracy theories do get a tad 'too' ludicrous eventually.
- I would've liked to have seen the reporter have a more of a substantial role.
- A background flashback into why Simon's character does what he does could've been a nice touch.
Overall:
Solid thriller that suffers a little from being a little far fetched and from starring Nic Cage. I would still recommend it though. Just. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #535 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

Griff the Invisible (2010)

Overview:
Griff - office worker by day, superhero by night - has his world turned upside down when he meets Melody, a beautiful young scientist who shares his passion for the impossible.
By day Griff (Ryan Kwanten) is an everyday office worker, in an everyday town. He lives a secluded life, bullied by co-workers (Toby Schmitz) - his protective brother his only friend. By night Griff assumes his other identity, roaming the dark streets protecting the innocent and the vulnerable from the dangers that lurk in the shadows - he is the hero, GRIFF THE INVISIBLE.
Increasingly concerned by Griff's eccentric behaviour, his brother (Patrick Brammall) attempts to draw him back into the 'real world'. In doing so he introduces Griff to Melody (Maeve Dermody) an equally eccentric and charming girl.
Fascinated by Griff's idiosyncrasies, which are equal only to her own, Melody begins to fall for Griff. As Griff is forced to face up to realities of a mundane world, it is up to Melody to rescue GRIFF THE INVISIBLE for the sake of herself, Griff and their love for each other.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- A new and refreshing take on superhero movies, though I wouldn't strictly call it a superhero movie.
- Leon Ford's feature length directorial debut shows he has a lot of promise as a director. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
- Ryan Kwanten, Maeve Dermody and David Webb all put in very good understated performances.
- The romantic comedy aspect adds to the joy of this Australian movie, rather than takes away from it.
Cons:
- Sometimes the pacing feels a little mismatched.
- The low production values do take away a little of a polished look in certain scenes.
Overall:
I added this to my rental queue after seeing it listed on goodguy's top films of 2011 list. I'm glad I did. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #536 on: May 25, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »

What's Your Number? (2011)

Overview:
Anna Faris is Ally Darling, a young woman, who decides after hitting the number of 20 lovers, to re-visit all her ex-boyfriends in the hope of finding the man of her dreams...a sassy and hilarious comedy of one woman's unconventional search for love. Includes all the bits too rude for the cinema!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- This is the right sort of role for Anna Faris. Light, funny, romantic.
- Chris Evans, Ari Graynor and Blythe Danner all give reasonable performances in support.
- Although the outcome is obvious from the start, the journey there is enjoyable enough.
Cons:
- It's nothing new and completely by the numbers.
- A couple of moments drag a little.
- Too many sub-plots with the ex-boyfriend characters that never get a chance.
Overall:
A standard rom-com that suits the cast. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #537 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »

Contagion (2011)

Overview:
Contagion follows the rapid progress of a lethal airborne virus that kills within days. As the fast-moving epidemic grows, the worldwide medical community races to find a cure and control the panic that spreads faster than the virus itself. At the same time, ordinary people struggle to survive in a society coming apart.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- It builds up the tension quite well, and is frighteningly realistic.
- Gwyneth Paltrow is excellent in her short but very important role.
- The film does well to show just how crazy people could get and how bad a serious virus could affect the world quickly.
Cons:
- Although a good cast has been gathered, they are not utilised as well as they should've been.
- The kidnapping subplot with Marion Cotillard doesn't fit the rest of the movie.
- It occassionally felt as though Soderbergh tried to hard and it just didn't come off.
Overall:
I was a little disappointed, but my expectations were high. Still worth your time for at least one viewing though. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #538 on: May 25, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

8 Mile (2002)

Overview:
8 Mile explores a week in the lives of a group of young people struggling to find their way in urban decay of 1995 Detroit. For people like Jimmy 'Rabbit' Smith, Jr. (EMINEM) and his friends, hip-hop is the only thing standing between them and the void.
Rabbit knows his ticket out is through his rhymes, but to succeed, he has to channel his anger into his lyrics, and face the showdown of his life.
From Academy Award® winning producer/director Curtis Hanson† (L.A. CONFIDENTIAL) and Academy Award® winning producer Brian Grazer˜, "8 Mile" is one of the most critically acclaimed movies of the year. Featuring outstanding performances from Eminem+, Academy Award® winner Kim Basinger**, Brittany Murphy and Mekhi Phifer, the crictically acclaimed "8 Mile" is one of the most talked about movies of the year.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- As much as many people hate it, listen to the lyrics in the rap battles. Very clever and help tell the story.
- Eminem isn't as bad as an actor as one would expect. Brittany Murphy is also very good in her role.
- Regardless of how close to the truth this autobiographical movie is, it is fascinating viewing and continues Curtis Hanson's form.
- The scene in which they burn down the paedophiles house is very well done. No Hollywood gloss.
Cons:
- Editing could've been tighter. Some scenes have long shots that aren't required.
- Kim Basinger is perhaps miscast. I warmed to her as the story went on, but I believe a better choice could've been made.
Overall:
Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #539 on: May 25, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »

Sand Sharks (2011)

Overview:
Prehistoric sand-dwelling sharks are unleashed on the island of White Sands when an underwater earthquake cracks open a crater deep beneath the ocean surface. The most menacing beats to ever rule the waters now rule the sand; with their monster appetities they mercillessly feast on anything that crosses their path.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- It's completely silly, very OTT fun.
- Some of the special effects are quite good for a film of this budget range and ilk.
Cons:
- It's nothing new and there are better shark attack movies.
- The acting is hilariously bad, in particular Brooke Hogan's attempt at being a marine biologist.
- Dialogue is poorly written and contrived.
Overall:
If you enjoy these silly creature features, there are worse out there than this. I thought it was so bad it was good. 2.5/5