Author Topic: Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 27209 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: The Complete BBC Series (1988)

Overview:
It is a quiet sort of a day in the heart of the English Countryside when Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy stumble through the back of a old wardrobe into the enchanted land of Narnia. They embark on an extraordinary adventure discovering talking fauns, friendly beavers, giants and flying horses. When the White Witch leans of their presence in Narnia their lives are in danger, but there is a talk of Aslan, the Great Lion, is on the move.
Originally broadcast in 1988, the adaptation of C S Lewis' powerful fantasy for all ages uses live action animation and special effects to recreate the most thrilling adventure of all. Relive the excitement of this memorable production in this magical DVD.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- No matter how low of a budget, it's impossible to lose the magic of the story.
- Barbara Kellerman is the best of the cast here as the White Witch.
- Professor Kirke played by Michael Aldridge is in the story just as much as required. His character is played correctly as a man who has obviously had his own Narnia adventure before.
Cons:
- The low budget obviously had a dire effect on the locations and effects. My imagination must've been much better as a kid as I remembered this being pretty damn magic.
- Some of the children cast are beyond horrible. In particular Sophie Wilcox who played Lucy.
- There are some moments of boredom.
Overall:
Not as good as I had vaguely remembered. I prefer the 2005 movie. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »

Gavin and Stacey: Series 1 (2007)

Overview:
This BBC comedy sitcom Gavin and Stacey features a romantic, off-beat, boy-meets-girl story.
Gavin is an ordinary boy from England, Stacey is an ordinary girl from Wales. They speak every day on the phone at work, and yet they've never met... until now. But when Gavin and Stacey finally meet and their ordinary worlds come together, we see, through their families, their friends and their differences, that there's no such thing as 'ordinary' after all.
Written by and starring Ruth Jones (Nighty Night, Little Britain) and James Corden (The History Boys), the series also features Mathew Horne (Catherine Tate, Roman's Empire), Joanna Page (Gideon's Daughter, Love Actually), Rob Brydon, Alison Steadman, Larry Lamb and Melanie Walters.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Doesn't try to be hip or quirky. It just lets the story run its course and is all the better for it.
- Great cast. James Corden, Ruth Jones, Mathew Horne, Joanna Page, Rob Brydon et al are some of the best UK comedy actors in the business and it shows why.
- Well written and I love the way there is no real drama at the wedding and they didn't feel like they had to do anything than two groups meeting together for the joining of a couple, having some beers and the laughs that come with it.
- I don't know which pairing I liked more, Corden and Horne (mates) or Corden and Jones (mates of the G&S). Both excellent rapore between each pair.
Cons:
- I don't like the characters Dawn and Pete, Gavins parents friends. They kind of bugged me throughout.
- Some of the situational comedy is a little obvious.
Overall:
A strong BBC comedy. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:40 PM »

CSI Miami: Season 5 Set 2 (2007)

Overview:
The cases of the Miami-Dade, Florida police department's Crime Scene Investigations unit.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- As I've come to expect, it never gets boring. Even though it is a procedural show, it keeps fresh throughout.
- A couple of huge stories in this half season. Ryan getting sacked and Eric getting shot in the head.
- Some cracking special effects for a TV show. Some good explosions, some gory close-ups and well shot car crashes.
- The characters continue to develop well over the course of this season and even after over 100 episodes, they can still surprise you.
Cons:
- Although I don't think David Caruso is bad, he is the weakest and his posing and one liners get a little boring.
- They focused on Ryan and Eric a lot here. Although all the characters get a decent amount of airtime, I would still like to see some more in-depth storylines with some of them.
Overall:
The weakest of the CSI's, but still thoroughly entertaining. 4/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2012, 06:07:18 AM »
Cons:
- Although I don't think David Caruso is bad, he is the weakest and his posing and one liners get a little boring.
You don't become an internet meme for being just mildly annoying... :shrug:

I watched a few episodes of CSI: Miami in the past and never enjowed it while Caruso is on the screen. I think I never seen a full episode of CSI: New York. The original is good fun to watch and I have enjoyed many episodes when it was on TV.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
Cons:
You don't become an internet meme for being just mildly annoying... :shrug:

I watched a few episodes of CSI: Miami in the past and never enjowed it while Caruso is on the screen. I think I never seen a full episode of CSI: New York. The original is good fun to watch and I have enjoyed many episodes when it was on TV.

But if you look at Caruso in season 1 and then season 5 you can see it is part of the character and Caruso is doing it probably on the wishes of the production team. It can be annoying but I still think he's good. I would call him neutral rather than a con TBH. Although he's the main character though, he does take a back seat to allow other characters to develop just like Grissom did in Vegas and Mac does in NY. You should definately check out NY. The first season was slow getting to know the characters, but it's really cooking for me now (Ive done seasons 1-4).

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »

Dead Ringers: Series 1 (2003)

Overview:
The first series for television of the show that has been a smash hit for Radio Four and the winner of six major awards including Best Radio Show (Best Comedy Awards) and a Sony Gold Award for Top Comedy.
Step into a strange but somehow familiar universe. A world where Michael Parkinson interviews members of the public waiting at bus stops... where Obi-Wan Kenobi visits a second-hand car dealer... where Anne Robinson announces the Weakest Disciple at the Last Supper... where Saddam Hussein advertises Werther's Originals... where Patricia Routledge and Thora Hird are the stars of Sex in the City... and where Maximus Decimus Meridius (Russell Crowe) looks up a plumber in the Yellow Pages.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Dead Ringers has made the transition from radio to TV with ease.
- No doubt about it, the impressionists involved with Dead Ringers are extremely talented and at the top of their game.
- The Dr Who, Ozzy Osbourne, Geirge Bush and Michael Burke segments are by far the best. Also Russell Crowe in Gladiator mode asking for estimates from builders for a castle ruin also cracks me up.
Cons:
- Watching all episodes in quick succession meant it got a bit samey a little fast.
- The Tony Blair and Michael Parkinson segments were a let down considering how they could be lampooned.
- Although filmed/shown in front of a live audience, the laugh track is annoyingly overbearing.
Overall:
Solid impressions show from the BBC. Shame series 2 isn't available. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

Family Guy: Season 7 (2006-2007)

Note: - Season 7 in the UK is actually the last five episodes of season 5 and the first 7 of season 6 in the USA. Fox are continuing to be idiots.

Overview:
Family Guy revolves around the Griffin family and their madcap adventures. The Griffin household includes two teenagers a cynical dog who is smarter than everyone else and a megalomaniacal mutant baby who makes numerous attempts to eradicate his parents and siblings.

My Thoughts:
Family Guy, despite it's minor slump when it first came back to screens, continues to be the funniest and most consistent animated television show around. It's constantly pushing the boundaries of comedy (and taste) with repeated stereotype jokes and hilarious "Scrubs" style daydreams and random scenes (and even references Scrubs in some episodes!). It's certainly not for everybody and I won't bore you with the details because I'm sure if you've seen any of the episodes made, you'll know exactly what to expect. Highlights here are the episodes where Peter opens a restaurant and where Peter travels back in time and marries Molly Ringwald instead of Lois. Highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:37:43 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »

Lost: Season 2 (2005-2006)

Overview:
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. Push the button and prepare to be blown away by the groundbreaking drama that has become a television event around the world.
The acclaimed series reaches new heights in its spectacular second season as the survivors of the Oceanic Flight 815 discover they are not alone in their battle against "The Others" and a contested decision to open the hatch reveals a new realm of mystery and intrigue.
Now you can experience the non-stop excitement and mystery of Season Two, complete with hours of original bonus material you can't see anywhere else – including unaired original flashbacks – and you'll soon discover for yourself why "everything happens for a reason".

My Thoughts:
For a long time I stayed away from all the hype surrounding Lost and only watched season one for the first time last year. I have to admit, I had been missing out on some quality television and that continued with season 2. We are introduced to some new characters, and some new twists about the island are revealed throughout. Some characters are killed off, more secrets come out from every angle imaginable and I love the way the flashbacks give us some background stories about the various characters and their chance meetings. I did get a little bored of the whole Michael/Walt scenario at times, but other than that, I definately recommend this second season of Lost. 4/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
<snip>
It's certainly not for everybody and I won't bore you with the details because I'm sure if you've seen any of the episodes made, you'll know exactly what to expect.
<snip>

Yep .. you either get it or you don't.  It breaks me up .. and my wife walks out of the room when it comes on <G>

DSig
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
I haven't watched TV stuff in ages... Maybe I'll crash through some this weekend! Let's see, in progress I have:
The X-Files: Season 4 (8/24)
2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps: Series 3&4 (5/19)
Still Games: The Complete Series + Specials (38/44)

I'll maybe work through some of these today or even start on yet another set... Depends really. I've had Still Game in progress for 18 months. Hilarious show but I'm watching this with my Dad the few days every couple of months our paths cross so it's been slow progress.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps: Series 3 & 4 (2003-2004)

Overview:
As the stress of the impending wedding begins to take its toll, the fivesome are in great danger of having to grow up. Will Jonny find someone to share his love of biscuits? Does Donna really believe "Piggy Goes Oink" is a self-help book? Will ICI consider newly-graduated Louise as Finance Director? Will a well-placed ring solve Gaz's personal problem? And, just how will Janet react to having the worst new boss in the world?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- I'm not a fan of musical episodes because they are generally horrible, but the musical episode here is brilliant and easily the highlight of the show so far.
- There's some well set-up humour here, and there are certainly worst casts around.
- There are some good storylines that run throughout the series rather than everything being wrapped up each episode.
Cons:
- Munch. This character was good when he forst arrived, but by the end of the set he really started to grate on me.
- A lot of the humour repeats itself throughout.
- Kathryn Drisdale is still the weak link of the main cast as Louise. Her character just isn't funny.
Overall:
Nothing special but still a few laughs. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »

Rab C. Nesbitt: Series 1 (1990)

Overview:
Rab C. Nesbitt has an opinion on anything and everything; put forward in a way that only Rab can. He is possibly the only person on the planet for whom the phrase "dysfunctional family" is regarded as a compliment.
His theories may have many holes as his string vest, and there is a lot more life in that bandage around his head than in any council suburb, but you cannot escape the wrath of the Nesbitt man.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The scripts by Ian Pattinson are of a high standard with several big laughs in every episode.
- It's not often a character from a sketch show, in this case "Naked Video", makes the transition so well to a full series.
- A lot of the humour is very clever and says a lot about working class life in Glasgow.
- Gregor Fisher is perfect as Rab. The character grows quite quickly in the six episodes here.
Cons:
- Some of the situations Rab finds himself in isn't as funny as writer Ian Pattinson sometimes thinks.
- Some jokes are overplayed, particularly in the episode "City of Culture".
Overall:
This is a funny Scottish comedy but unless you can understand the Glaswegian dialect you have NO CHANCE of understanding a thing because the DVD has no subtitles. Fortunately, I do understand the localised nuances. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »

Rab C. Nesbitt: Series 2 (1992)

Overview:
RAB C NESBITT – philosopher, working class hero, bampot. In the second series of the cult comedy, Rab and the gang head to the Highlands to discover their roots; the Social helps Rab and Mary resolve a domestic; the McGurns go on the Rampage and need sorting out; Rab gets out of jail and Jamesie gets out the house; Rab reflects on the meaning of life while Mary wonders if it's worthwhile carrying on.
Horned beasts, loonie machines and devil worship – nothing unusual in the life and times of Govan's most famous ponderer.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Rab C. Nesbitt has obviously grown a bit more as a character. You know he's pure scum, but you can't help but like him - a sign of the good writing.
- Cotter is still getting some great moments and in an episode where he is held hostage by the McGurns, gets some great lines.
- Some people hate it when a show breaks the fourth wall, but this show does it every episode with panache. Some of the best moments are the fourth wall dialogues.
Cons:
- Gash doesn't get as much screentime as in the first series. A real missed opportunity as he's a great character.
- There aren't quite as many laughs as the first series, and this series relies a bit more heavily on the obvious humour.
Overall:
A small step down from series 1, but still recommended viewing. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »
I haven't watched TV stuff in ages... Maybe I'll crash through some this weekend! Let's see, in progress I have:
The X-Files: Season 4 (8/24)

Time to actually finish working through this one the next couple of days methinks. I recently rewatched seasons 5 and 6 so want to get onto the last few. :laugh:

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »
Mulder and Scully <3
I too like the x-files! Real good tv-show.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas