Author Topic: Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 27924 times)

samuelrichardscott

Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »

Inspector Morse: Series 1

Overview
Super sleuth, Inspector Morse (John Thaw - Goodnight Mister Tom and Kavanagh Q.C.) has an ear for music, a taste for beer and a nose for crime. He sets out with Sergeant Lewis (Kevin Whately - Peak Practice) to solve each intriguing case.
THE DEAD OF JERICHO - In this debut episode, written by the Oscar winning Anthony Minghella (The English Patient), Morse, who never quite finds romance, thinks that at last things will tum out differently when he meets beautiful Anne Staveley (Gemma Jones). But it is a love destined not to be when Anne is found hanging from a beam in mysterious circumstances. Morse suspects murder and sets out with Sergeant Lewis (Kevin Whately) to discover the truth.
THE SILENT WORLD OF NICHOLAS QUINN - Nicholas Quinn is a hard-of-hearing member of the examinations board...until one day he is found dead at home. Can Morse match up the clues with the killer? Romance is in the air as Morse becomes increasingly attracted to Monica(Barbara Flynn) - but could she be mixed up in this too?
SERVICE OF ALL THE DEAD - The body of a church warden has been found with a knife in his chest in a quiet country church. This proves to be just the first in a series of gruesome killings in and around the church. As the mystery deepens, Morse has five bodies on his hands. In a desperate race against time, Morse tries to track down the ruthless killer.

Thoughts
Inspector Morse is probably one of the most successful shows in ITV's history and for a reason. Although the three feature length episodes that make up series 1 are nowhere near as good as the show managed in it's prime, they are above average with decent scripts and great acting throughout. John Thaw is legendary as the title character and it can be said that without this show we wouldn't have got similar feature length detective dramas such as A Touch of Frost. The first series eases you into the show with good character development in a short space of time. A lot can be siad for intelligent scripting. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:25:14 AM »

CSI Miami: Season 4 Set 1 (2005-2006) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Fast-paced crime drama that follows the investigations of a cutting-edge forensics team based in the tropical climes of southern Florida. A spin-off of the hugely popular television series CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION, CSI MIAMI places more emphasis on police work than science--sharing its parent show's penchant for grisly crime reenactments--and boasts a flashier cinematographic style that befits its sun-kissed locale.

Thoughts:
CSI is one of those shows that you either love or hate. Personally, I love them all: Vegas, New York and Miami. Season 4 Set 1 has some very good episodes with my favourites being the opener, "From the Grave" and "Urban Hellraisers" in which some teens re-enact their favourite Grand Theft Auto style game in order to rack up points. Another good thing with this set is that it is setting up the second half of the season nicely with regards to the teams problems. Ryan Wolfe's eyesight is going, yet he is avoiding Alexx Woods' advice after being hit in the eye by a nail gun and Eric Delko seems to be getting mixed up in drugs scandals that could spell disaster for the team. Wolfe and Delko are still not getting along and there also appears to be a mole in the team, giving out info to the DA. Horatio even manages to be a suspect in a murder case. Although not as solid as Vegas or New York (Horatio Caine is my least preferred boss) it's well above average when it comes to being a solid TV show and this set is full of solid episodes without any stinkers. 4/5
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:53:30 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »

ER: Season 1 (1994-1995) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Michael Crichton has created a medical drama that chronicles life and death in a Chicago hospital emergency room. Each episode tells the tale of another day in the ER, from the exciting to the mundane, and the joyous to the heart-rending. Frenetic pacing, interwoven plot lines, and emotional rollercoastering is used to attempt to accurately depict the stressful environment found there.

My Thoughts:
Having never seen an episode of this before I didn't know what to expect, especially as I'm not a fan of George Clooney. Well, I'm glad I purchased this first season because it was not as melodramatic as I expected it to be and spent the right amount of time between developing the characters in both their personal and professional lives aswell as keeping the various patients and ailments coming at a frenetic pace. The characters are likeable, the acting is above average and the dialogue is tight and not over the top. I think it looks like I'll have to order the second season set. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
Teachers: Series 1

Channel Four have been well known for their comedy offerings since the mid-nineties ranging from the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost career starter Spaced through to Black Books and Phoenix Nights. In more recent years, the channel have found success in dramas with a large comedy element, the most famous and successful of which being Shameless (which has also spun a US remake starring William H. Macy). Channel Four first found success in this genre however with shows like Teachers and Green Wing.

The case for Teachers states: The lives and lifestyles of a group of young comprehensive school teachers in Bristol forms the backdrop for the drama series Teachers. Starring Andrew Lincoln, Teachers is set in the fictional Summertown Comprehensive, where a mix of seasoned and young teachers and some raucous pupils makes for some humourous incidents. Set as much out of the classroom as in it, this is a contemporary light-hearted series where the staff find their lives as problematic after school. The main teachers in the drama are twenty-somethings whose lives are complicated by the fact that they aren't much older than their pupils. They have their own clique, gossips and bullies and their own idea of a good practical joke. They sneak into the toilets for a sly fag, some still live with their parents, and they always have an excuse for why they're late for their own class.

The show mainly follows Simon (Andrew Lincoln), an English teacher in his mid-twenties who wants to get through the day as easily as possible. The kids call him by his first name, come to him with their problems due to his approachability and relaxed style and yet, he is constantly bugging head of year, friend and fellow teacher Susan (Raquel Cassidy) for advice on everything from whether or not to move in with his police officer girlfriend Maggie (Zoe Telford) to problems arising from him trying to cut corners in class. Susan isn't without her own problems though, mainly the stress of the job and the strain it puts on her marriage. The main cast are rounded off with Jenny (Nina Sosanya) with whom Simon has a lot of sexual tension and Kurt (Navin Chowdry) and Geoff (Simon Chandler) who spend the day perving at their students and teachers and playing the would you game where a question is asked among the teachers such as, "Jenny with Susan's tits, or Susan awith Jenny's arse?". This leads to many hilarious moments.

The casting for this show is extremely good and the characters gel well together and each have very different characteristics which have been well produced on screen. The scriptwriting, whilst not superb, is very good, and they manage to mix the comedy and drama elements of the show to a high standard. Music throughout the show is from British indie bands of the late nineties and each time a song is played during an episode, it is fitting and never feels out of place. One thing I did enjoy was noticing a couple of the students who have come on to have decent careers of their own, including Kara Tointon (Eastenders, Strictly Come Dancing) and James Corden (Lesbian Vampire Killers and A League of Their Own).

All in all, the show is mildly dramatic, definately funny and a joy to watch. Whilst there are a few minor characters I would change, I can't help but give it a solid recommendation to fans of the typically dry British humour mixed with drama.

This first series (of four) consists of eight episodes spread evenly over two discs.

Full review: http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2547

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »

Barking: The Complete Series (1998) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
You don’t have to be barking to enjoy this DVD – but it certainly helps! In 1998, in a town not far from you, the up and coming comedians of the day got together and wrote an hilarious sketch show for Channel 4. The result was Barking. These comedians further developed these characters and ideas and are now big stars, writing and starring in their own shows and regularly touring nationally. But it all started here for Mackenzie Crook, David Walliams, Omid Djalili, Peter Kay, Dave Lamb, Rhys Thomas, Catherine Tate, Marcus Brigstocke, Matt Lucas and many more.

My Thoughts:
A lot of the cast from Barking have since gone on to have good careers. Mackenzie Crook hit it big as Gareth in the BBC's hit comedy The Office with Ricky Gervais, David Walliams and Matt Lucas did Little Britain, Omid Djalili was in the massively successful Hollywood movie The Mummy and has had several shows of his own, Peter Kay became the most stand-out stand-up of the decade with sold out venues around the country and made Phoenix Nights whilst Catherine Tate had a self-titled show on the BBC and co-starred in long running sci-fi show Doctor Who. The real question is, did the talent from all these well established comedians shine through at the start of their television careers?

Well, as far as sketch shows go this is as hit and miss as any other but it's safe to say, these comedians are good, even if they don't always hit the mark. One of the biggest surprises for me was seeing David Walliams as an eccentric random guy in London getting up to all sorts of daft exploits. Not a surprise in that it was funny, I'm a fan of Walliams, but a surprise in the way we see many of this character's traits used for different characters in Little Britain (such as "a-a-aaaaaah"). I'm a big fan of Peter Kay's stand-up and a huge fan of Phoenix Nights so seeing him here was also rather good, although this is far from the standard he is capable of.

Overall, if you're a fan of the comedians involved and like sketch shows, this is worth a look but it's a 50/50 hit and miss ratio. 3/5

Full review - http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2593

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »

Never been something I was fussed about keeping up with, but there was a two parter in a later season I saw and I thought it was some of the best television I'd ever seen. A nutter gets loose with a knife and attacks a doctor and nurse. The aftermath was nail-biting!

Oh yes, and I made a point of watching Tarantino's episode, which was predictably awesome.  :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »

Never been something I was fussed about keeping up with, but there was a two parter in a later season I saw and I thought it was some of the best television I'd ever seen. A nutter gets loose with a knife and attacks a doctor and nurse. The aftermath was nail-biting!

Oh yes, and I made a point of watching Tarantino's episode, which was predictably awesome.  :P

I think I saw most of the show..though some of the seasons and developments I didn't care for as much.

Oh yes, that was good Jon.  Carter was attacked..and one of the students was attacked too..or resident.  I can't remember if she was still a student or not.  I can't remember who else got hurt.  Hmmm..It's been a while since I last saw those episodes, but they were really good.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »

Ugly Betty: Season 1 (2006-2007) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Audiences are cheering for a vibrant overachiever with the spirit and the smarts to live her dream. America Ferrera stars as go-getter Betty Suarez, a true beauty in the skin-deep world of high fashion. Two very different cultures collide in this sexy and stylish series about believing in yourself regardless of the odds. Earning Golden Globe® Awads for Best Television Series* and Best Performance By An Actress In A Television Series* in its very first season, Ugly Betty is a runaway hit with fans and critics. Experience every episode of Series One in the producers' and creators' intended vision of the original series. Plus, join executive producer Salma Hayek and actor Eric Mabius for exclusive show insights, and see what it takes for America Ferrera to get Bettyfied – available only on DVD. You'll find yourself falling in love with every minute of Ugly Betty.

My Thoughts:
Average in every sense of the word. It took me over a week to work through this set as it just didn't make me want more due to the mediocre scripting and storylines that kept me interested, but didn't hook me. Ashley Jensen is easily the star of the show, and the high point of the season was Salma Hayek's character (rather than her storyline). Lucy Liu was underuitilised, but I did enjoy Debi Mazar's cameo. Whilst I will pick up the second season eventually to see the follow-on from how season one ended, it's certainly not a priority for me. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
Oh yes, that was good Jon.  Carter was attacked..and one of the students was attacked too..or resident.  I can't remember if she was still a student or not.  I can't remember who else got hurt.  Hmmm..It's been a while since I last saw those episodes, but they were really good.

I'm nowhere this far yet it seems. Watched season 2 since I posted that review which I enjoyed enough to pick up seasons 3 and 4. They are in my to watch pile but I imagine I'll get to them eventually (although my pile is at over 1200, less than 20 of them TV seasons - I've controlled myself in that aspect).

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
I can't remember when in the series that happened...maybe 4th or 5th season.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 12:25:53 AM »

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Season 1 (2008) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
The mother of all destiny. Her son, the future leader of mankind. Their protector, a terminator from the future. Together they must take back the future as Sarah Connor (300's Lena Headey) prepares her son to fight the war against machines determined to annihilate the human race. The clock is ticking. Can they stop Judgment Day?
The man-vs.-machines tale that has thrilled millions gets a reboot with this popular series, set after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Will John Connor (Heroes' Thomas Dekker) seize his destiny? Will a cell phone salesman's chess program evolve into Skynet? Can the sweet but deadly cyborg (Summer Glau of Firefly) be trusted? Answers - and the fight for the future - are here and now.

My Thoughts:
When I first heard there was a going to be a Terminator television show put into production, I have to admit that I rolled my eyes, especially after the disappointing but still reasonably enjoyable third movie. However, the end result is actually very good. The main cast have been well selected, especially Lena Heady and Thomas Dekker in the leads, and the supporting cast also put in good performances in their roles, especially Sabrina Perez as Chola, who doesn't even say anything, despite being in several episodes and being relatively important in moving part of the storyline. Special effects are certainly above average for TV but not as good as in the movies, likely due to obvious budget constraints. The makers have done reasonably well in not straying from the overall tone and story of the movies and although the show isn't perfect (the plot can be a little loose at times), I still certainly recommend it. This is my second time watching the first season, and next up TV wise in my pile, is season two for the first time. I hope it's as good as this season was. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »

The Inbetweeners: Series 1-3 (2008-2010) R2 United Kingdom (borrowed)

Overview:
The Inbetweeners Series 1-3 boxset follows the often misguided footsteps of four friends, Will, Simon, Neil and Jay, as they try to navigate their way through sixth form, with their hormones running riot. None of our heroes are exceptional, all are distinctly average: Will is constantly trying to raise their social standing, Simon is a hopeless romantic who is obsessed with schoolmate Carli, Neil is sometimes so slow it’s more like owning a pet than having a friend, and Jay is a borderline sex pest constantly bragging about imaginary sexual experiences.

My Thoughts:
Once again, we are shown why nobody beats the UK when it comes to quality comedy. All 18 episodes are included in this set and every single one of them is complete comedy gold whilst still maintaining a feeling of drama and solid storylines that go through the entire show. All four of the main cast members have been perfectly selected, as have their parents, and sixth form head Greg Davies (who I hate in everything else). Dialogue is non-stop brilliance and I laughed from the very start of the first episode, right through to the very end of the finale. Definately need to see the film. 5/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:36 AM »
While I don't think it's perfect (not all 18 episodes are of highest quality), I also thought that teh Inbetweeners is extremely funny with very witty dialogue. I enjoyed (most of) it a lot. The movie is already pre-ordered and Amazon should ship it any minute now...

Kind of on a different end of the spectrum, but also extremely funny to me, how do you like Outnumbered? I just watched Series 4 in one sitting last Friday, as I just couldn't stop. While it looses over the years, as the kids get older, basically, it is still very good.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
I've stayed away from Outnumbered because I'm not keen on Hugh Dennis at all. I have heard a lot of good things though and not against eventually looking at it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
He obviously has a big role, but stars of the show are clearly the kids; especially in the earlier series. I don't think I knew him before this and thought he handled the role very well.