Author Topic: Movies about Birthdays?  (Read 7130 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Movies about Birthdays?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 02:08:01 AM »
The love birds are a present for the main character's sister's birthday in The Birds.

In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the messages from Hogwarts start arriving as Harry's birthday approaches.  He finally learns the truth and meets Hagrid on his actual birthday.

In Cheaper by the Dozen, the kids sneak out to go to the birthday party of the neighbor kid.  Things go very wrong.

In Gone With the Wind, I'm thinking the one party early in the movie is for someone's birthday.  Though it has been a while since I saw the movie.

In Gran Torino, I think the one time his kids stop in to see him is on his birthday.  When they have the brochures for retirement homes..and they tried to give him a phone with huge numbers and I think one of those grabber things.

Pepper has a birthday in Iron Man.  The day Tony leaves to go over to Afghanistan for the demonstration.  Pepper mentions it when getting Tony to sign a few papers before he leaves.

For Lethal Weapon...don't Roger's kids take a birthday cake in to him while he's in the bath?  One of the first scenes in the movie.  Or maybe I'm thinking of when they are counting down to his retirement.  Hmm.

I think Meet Joe Black ends with a big birthday party for Anthony Hopkins's character.

I can't remember a birthday in One Hour Photo either.  Unless some of the pictures shown are from a birthday party or something.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 02:12:44 AM »
Thanks Marie... you brought back some stuff to my memory... so with those reminders I think I could get away with...

- The Birds (though a little thin)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- Cheaper by the Dozen (I remember the scene being a big one... and that a snake got loose at the party)

I think the rest of what you mentioned may be a little too thin. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 02:17:15 AM »
Now Marie mentions it, Iron Man comes down to pretty much a single line, when Pepper says it was her birthday, Tony asks "did I buy you something nice?" :laugh:

W0m6at

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 02:17:42 AM »
Any Biblical Christmas stories would be birthday movies!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:47 AM »
Brittany just told me I can add Tower of Terror (Disney ghost story) can be added to the list... as she said basically the entire thing happens because of a birthday :)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 02:53:27 AM »
Thanks Marie... you brought back some stuff to my memory... so with those reminders I think I could get away with...

- The Birds (though a little thin)
- Cheaper by the Dozen (I remember the scene being a big one... and that a snake got loose at the party)

I think the rest of what you mentioned may be a little too thin. :)

Glad I was able to help.  Some of them I barely remembered, but then they came to me.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:58:03 AM »
Any Biblical Christmas stories would be birthday movies!

That'll blow Pete's mind! What would he do about his Christmas marathon?  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 03:06:03 AM »
 :laugh: Actually I can't think of any biblical movies in my collection. Or am I just drawing a blank on them? :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
Pete even me I own biblical movies :yellowcard:

Of course one of those is this one and the other is this one...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:33:39 AM by Jimmy »

Critter

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »

It's so strange seeing this written so many times in this thread, as an Australian I know it for it's proper title, the one which J.K Rowling gave it which is 'Philosopher's Stone'. To this day I still don't know why they felt they needed to change it to 'Sorcerer' just for America when other English-speaking languages got 'Philosopher'. It has always seemed quite silly to me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »
The publisher thought more kids would be interested in a book with sorcerer in the title instead of philosopher.  At least the rest of the books have the same title over here.

Critter

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:55 AM »
Hmm that still seems silly to me, it's almost as if they dumbed it down becuase they didn't think the kids would understand the term 'Philosopher' even though millions of kids all around the world took to the books with that title. You are right though, at least the rest of the titles remained the same. Now if only they didn't change the original covers to that horrible cover art  :tease:. That's to be expected though, most countries will change the cover art. Although I must say I am glad that Australia got the same art as the British novels.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 07:54:12 AM »
I do think they dumbed the title down.  And having sorcerer in the title might be more appealing to some kids.  Not that there is anything wrong with philosopher. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »
Toy Story starts with Andy's birthday party.

The Last House on the Left starts with the main characters going to a birthday celebration :devil:

(that's all I found filtering for "birthday" :shrug:; of course there was a bunch of more TV episodes...)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
I completely forgot that Toy Story starts with Andy's birthday.  The whole reason that Buzz turns up.