Author Topic: Movies about Birthdays?  (Read 6942 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Movies about Birthdays?
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
Hey all...
My Birthday is next Monday (31st). So I was thinking that next weekend I may do a Birthday Marathon for next weekend's Weekend Movie Marathon. What I was thinking is watching a movie that deals heavily with a birthday in one way or another (no matter the genre)... and in between each movie watch an episode of (any) TV Series where someone is celebrating a birthday. I have MANY TV Episodes dealing with birthdays... but I am not sure I have enough movies dealing with birthdays. I searched "Birthday" in both title and overview in DVDP and as of right now I have...

- 13 Going on 30
- The Birds
- Bloody Birthday
- Cheaper by the Dozen
- Child's Play (A stretch... but he get's Chucky for his birthday)
- City Slickers
- Frogs
- Full Frontal
- The Game
- Happy Birthday to Me
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- House on Haunted Hill (Original)
- House on Haunted Hill (Remake)
- Identity
- Liar Liar
- The Omen
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- Tower of Terror

Looking at the above list... while it is enough for a marathon... there is titles there I really not in the mood to see again (especially the awful Frogs). But I am thinking I probably have more that I am not thinking of. That is why I thought I would ask here about movies that in one way or another has a birthday as a big part of the plot of the movie??
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:22:46 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Najemikon

Re: Movies about Birthdays?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:11:41 PM »
 :o

"Full Frontal"

:hysterical:

I couldn't think of any, so Googled "Birthday movies" and found a decent list. Don't worry about stretching! Now kicking myself for not thinking of:

Logan's Run would be an interesting spin as it's about reaching a particular birthday ;); Sixteen Candles... not sure if it's your thing, but it is a John Hughes film (Breakfast Club, Ferris Beuller, etc); Cronenberg's The Fly is an allegory about ageing (bits not working anymore and falling off!).

Then there's The Game is in your list, which is a thriller based around a birthday present; Liar Liar is because of a birthday wish; City Slickers is a mid-life crisis movie.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »
13 Going on 30
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
What is the deal with Full Frontal anyway? I got it years ago very cheap used when our video store went out of business... but haven't had the urge to watch it yet.

There is a couple you mentioned that I have to add to the above list. I have Liar, Liar (which I been wanting to watch again anyway)... City Slickers I thought would be pushing the theme a little... but I sure could watch it. I also have The Fly... but think it would really be pushing the theme. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
I think City Slickers would work.  If I remember right Mitch's birthday is shown in the movie...and that is the motivation for them going on the cattle drive.

Since you have HBO, you could catch Sex and the City...Samantha has a birthday at the end of the movie. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »
yeah I thought about that on City Slickers too... it is his birthday that starts it all off.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:27:31 PM »
Bruce Wayne gets an arrow-head for his birthday. Finders Keepers. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
Here is some I checked at IMDB with their keyword search (I am always forgetting about this site) :P

Anyway... some of these I don't remember being about (or having anything to do with) birthdays...

- The Birds (I know there is something about a birthday here. I think that was the reason for the lovebirds?)
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (he gets a candy bar for his birthday... but is this enough?)
- Cheaper by the Dozen (2003 version... don't remember)
- Damien: Omen !! (forget)
- Full Tilt Boogie (Documentary on making From Dusk Til Dawn)
- Godsend
- Gone with the Wind (Never seen it so have no idea)
- Gran Torino (?? I loved the movie the one time I saw it... but hell if I remember anything to do with Birthday)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (He is excepted to school on his b'day?)
- Identity (no idea!)
- Iron Man (Don't remember it here either... though I definitely could watch this one again!)
- Junior
- The Last House on the Left (Not that I really want to watch this again)
- Lethal Weapon (don't remember here either)
- The Little Girl who Lives Down the Lane
- Lost Souls
- Meet Joe Black (been years... don't remember this one at all!)
- Mirrors (don't remember here either)
- Not another Teen Movie
- One Hour Photo (been years... don't remember this one at all!)
- Tower of Terror (don't remember here either)
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (1 segment)
- The Wizard of Oz

As I was putting... I really don't remember the above enough to judge if any of these could be included in such a marathon... so some help here please? Anyone remember any of these to know if they would fit?
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »
Nothing springs out apart from those you've already noted. I think that search must be picking out a line puff dialogue, so the links will be very tenuous.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »
If I remember correctly, don't you own the Twilight Zone Definitive Collection?

There's an episode from season 5, The Masks that would definitely be up your alley.  :thumbup:

Even though it's about a Mardi Gras party, I think you might like the storyline.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »
Yes I do... I am still working my way through this set for the very first time (just started season 4) And I do remember that one. Not sure if it was from an earlier season or one of the few I seen before I got the set. But it is definitely one I enjoyed!  :thumbup:
Pete

W0m6at

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:40:46 AM »
- Identity (no idea!)
Even though I've used spoiler tags, I've left the larger part of the spoiler out
(click to show/hide)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:45:17 AM »
Harold and Maude, Maude's 80th birthday has a real surprise in it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
- Identity (no idea!)
Even though I've used spoiler tags, I've left the larger part of the spoiler out
(click to show/hide)

Oh that is right! I forgot about that... I think that could fit... adding it to the main list... thanks :)
Pete