Author Topic: AWOL  (Read 84056 times)

hal9g

Re: AWOL
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:01 PM »
Enjoy yourself, Achim!

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2010, 02:01:47 AM »
I will be going away for a few days next week, most likely not log in at all during that time (I am on vacation, so why should I :P)

Your request for a vacation will be granted only after you've delivered your report on L'amour braque.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:18:48 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52:28 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'lldomy best to have fun :)

Your request for a vacation will be granted only after you've delivered your report on L'amour braque.  ;)
:laugh:

:hmmmm: that actually sounds like a good movie to  be watched before Sunday.

EDIT:
So I did watch it today and didn't like it, at all. It took me already too long that the main character was meant to be an idiot (literally, as it's an homage to Dostojewski's The Idiot), which is pobably because they were all acting like idiots. I found the first 20 minutes near-unbearable due to the instant yelling, which was broken up by occasional regular talking throughout the rest of the film.

The only ood thing I found was Marceau's acting, even though I didn't like her character either (none f the characters was sympathetic or otherwise interesting to me :shrug:)

The entire 105min I fought the urge to turn it off.

I strangely enjoyed Possession, but couldn't find anything redeeming here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:14:01 PM by Achim »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »
...and back already.

We had a great time and mostly good weather. Somehow my digital camera gave up (sand...? the lens doesn't retract properly anymore and I'll have to give for repair), but besides that a worthwhile few days.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »
Welcome Back Achim! :)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
Welcome back :)

Critter

« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »
Glad you had a good time Achim.  :thumbup:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »
EDIT:
So I did watch it today and didn't like it, at all. It took me already too long that the main character was meant to be an idiot (literally, as it's an homage to Dostojewski's The Idiot), which is pobably because they were all acting like idiots. I found the first 20 minutes near-unbearable due to the instant yelling, which was broken up by occasional regular talking throughout the rest of the film.

The only ood thing I found was Marceau's acting, even though I didn't like her character either (none f the characters was sympathetic or otherwise interesting to me :shrug:)

The entire 105min I fought the urge to turn it off.

I strangely enjoyed Possession, but couldn't find anything redeeming here.

I didn't catch your EDIT until now. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. You will find that excessive, on-the-brink-of-insanity acting style in almost every Zulawski film and if you hadn't responded positively to the performances in Posession, I wouldn't have recommended this one.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:25:40 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

hal9g

« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »
Welcomeback, Achim.  Glad you enjoyed yourself.  Too bad about the camera.  We were hoping for pics!   :(

Najemikon

« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »
Hey, Achim!

I went to Arizona a few years ago with a mate and we visited Sedona and did the jeep tour, which was awesome. We both have Canon SLRs, but he was fed up of carrying the bigger camera around so took his compact HP. I persevered, but panicked because, damn, that tour kicks up some dust! 

Interesting thing that despite me having the telephoto lens largely exposed, it was fine. His compact jammed up. He managed to get it working again, but still it shows the quality of the bigger cameras.

This is where you tell me yours is an SLR. :laugh: Hope you get it sorted though. No fun damaging your camera.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2010, 05:19:29 AM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome...

I didn't catch your EDIT until now. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. You will find that excessive, on-the-brink-of-insanity acting style in almost every Zulawski film and if you hadn't responded positively to the performances in Posession, I wouldn't have recommended this one.
I guess it wasn't so much the excessive acting itself, than the fact that most of it was yelled and that everyone did it (maybe Dostojevski's Idiot demands that, I wouldn't know). in Possession he mostly has Adjani go wild, which fit the character very well, and Neill kind of balanced it out.

Another, even more important, factor is the story, which just didn't grab me as much as Possession.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
*driving home for christmas*

Tomorrow afternoon I will fly to Berlin again. I'll be back on the 28th.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »
Best wishes, Karsten. See you soon.

Critter

« Reply #343 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
Have a good Christmas Karsten.

hal9g

« Reply #344 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »