• View Profile
Re: AWOL
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »
I wonder if there is a computer in Berlin or if we can make a mess :devil:

Touti

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2009, 12:00:21 AM »
I wonder if there is a computer in Berlin or if we can make a mess :devil:

I'd go for the mess.......................as was once done to me when I went away.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »
Hem, hem, .... this is Berlin speaking  :devil:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »
Sorry for being here so sparsely, but I have guests this week and we have been exploring the towns and cities in this area. Everything will return to normal tomorrow (Monday) afternoon...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
I will not be here from Friday (tomorrow) through Monday. I am attending a friend's wedding in France. I don't know if I will have access to / time for checking in here. So don't wonder when I do not post the new deadlines for the marathons in time.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
Have a wonderful time Tom. :cheers:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
Thanks! :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
I am back :)
The wedding I went to was very beautiful. And we had perfect weather all four days I was in France :)
I even managed to do a few hours of sightseeing today in Paris :)

I think I have a few reviews of stuff I watched the last evening before my travel to write up now.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
And it's true what they say about French people: They do not speak English (or very little).
That made it impossible for me to talk to most of the bride's family/friends, as I do not speak a word of French.

Najemikon

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »
And it's true what they say about French people: They do not speak English (or very little).
That made it impossible for me to talk to most of the bride's family/friends, as I do not speak a word of French.

I always thought that French people in general were very good English speakers... they just don't see why they should lower themselves!  ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »
I always thought that French people in general were very good English speakers... they just don't see why they should lower themselves!  ;)

This was also what I heard before. But now I know differently. They actually do not speak and understand English. The younger French people can speak it a little, but even they have a lot of trouble to even understand the (IMO) most basic vocabulary.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
What you need are subtitles! It sounds as though you had a great time. Post some pictures of the wedding and/or sightseeing if you get a chance. I'd love to see them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »
The brother of the bride was the only one I met, who actively sought out to improve his English by talking to us. He says he is disappointed that the French school system does not put enough weight on teaching English. This is why he went to Canada on an internship recently, to improve his English. But sadly he went to the French-Canadian area, and again nobody could help him improving his English ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
We are able to use it in a discussion since we start to learned it at our third year of primary school (now it's right at the first school year, something that I don't really agree with but it's another story), but most of us don't feel confortable since outside of Montreal we don't really had a chance to practice it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
What you need are subtitles! It sounds as though you had a great time. Post some pictures of the wedding and/or sightseeing if you get a chance. I'd love to see them.

Here is a small selection of my Paris pictures. We also visited Notre Dame, but my batteries went dead at the Louvre.

I only took a few pictures at the wedding (though I took some video clips of the actual ceremony), so I am awaiting the pictures the other German guests have taken. But I won't post them here, because I do not like to post private pictures on the internet (and I feel it is not my call to make as it is a private affair of others). But if some of our regulars here are interested, I will host a nice selection on my webspace for you to look at (after I got the other pictures). Just contact me.