Author Topic: AWOL  (Read 84013 times)

hal9g

Re: AWOL
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!  Hopefully it will slip quietly by!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2010, 07:03:18 AM »
I hope the storm misses you both.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
BTW, I will be "away" from August 19 thru September 9. Away is relative, as I will still have internet access most of the time (since I will be at my parent's home), just not sure how often I will show up here.
I am back in Taiwan now.

Still a lot of catching up to do :heat:, but it's good to be back in that old desk chair of mine (although it's not particularly comfortable).

Got myself an iPad while I was gone, and a whole bunch of DVDs and Blus (soon to be posted in the related thread).

snowcat

« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
Welcome back Achim, I hope you had a good time :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Welcome Back Achim! :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »
Hey, Achim!  :cheers:

Got myself an iPad while I was gone...

Oh dear. I promise to keep my opinions to myself...  ;) :bag:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »
Welcome back

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
While my trips to Germany don't leave much room for relaxing, I sure had a good time.

Oh dear. I promise to keep my opinions to myself...  ;) :bag:
Well, you know how vacations go, the wallet opens up much easier than at other times.

It replaces my coffee table notebook which is on long term loan with a friend... But I won't push my luck and not bait any responses here :-X

Najemikon

« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
Can't... stop... ran... ting. Must not...... reply...

Oh well. I tried.

:devil:

I'm setting one up for a neighbour, who won it in a competition. Her husband is computer literate, ish, but recently suffered a stroke. While he is doing well, he can't get about or mess around with his laptops like he used to and I said the iPad could be a fun thing for him to use.

Five minutes after turning it on I was having a nerdgasm and worshipping at the alter of Apple, apologising for all the terrible things I'd ever said about their bloody useless products. I wanted one.  :drooling:

Another five minutes later, I was ready to see how far it could fly if I used it as a frisbee. Which is all it's good for.  >:(

Balance has been restored! As soon as a decent manufacturer employs the technology and uses a proper OS, like Android, I'll be right there. :whistle:

In the interests of balance, brainwashed iPhone users will have no complaints! :tease: But seriously, it does certain tasks brilliantly well, but just falters when you try and be all interesting and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:24:05 PM by Jon »

snowcat

« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
 ;) Jon ... I believe Toshiba are working on an android version now

;) watch this weeks Click on BBC Iplayer

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »
In the interests of balance, brainwashed iPhone users will have no complaints! :tease: But seriously, it does certain tasks brilliantly well, but just falters when you try and be all interesting and stuff.
I...Have...No...Complaints...

But seriously, today I managed to connect it with my laptop Mac (Mac Pro :-[) via VNC and was surprised that I could operate my big machine, albeit slow, from the couch!

yeah, I guess it's the debate whether this is a downsized notebook with the wrong OS (as it's basically the iPhone OS) or if it is an über-sized iPod that's trying to be a notebook. :shrugs: I mainly wanted it for convenient surfing on the couch or in bed or when on vacation.

It is NOT a notebook! Don't mistake it for one. ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
Actually, I don't think either of those things. The potential is that the iPad is what a notebook should have been. That it simply works and works well. But... here's the hypothetical conversation the iPad had with my network.  :laugh:

Jon: "Hello, iPad. I'd like to introduce you to my Wi-fi. Say hi, Wi-fi!"

Wi-fi: "Hi, iPad! That's a good firm handshake you have there. You look pretty cool and fun."

iPad: "Thanks, Wi-fi! Glad to be here and... oh! Wow. You know Internet? That's so cool. I know him too!"

Internet: "Yo, iPad! It's so easy being friends with you. Surprised to see you here actually, our user is a bit anti-Apple. Just a bit..."

iPad: "Oh. erm..."

Jon: "Hey, hey, no need for that! You're very welcome here, iPad, don't worry."

iPad: "Phew. I was worried there for a moment. I just want to be liked!"

wi-fi: "Well, I know someone you'll love! NAS has got tons of stuff stored on his hard drives, like music, videos and shit. NAS! NAS, come say hello to the new guy!"

NAS: "Good evening, iPad. Come take a look at my 200gb of music. You can play with what you like. I love to share! I've got a ton of TV shows as well."

iPad:

NAS: "iPad?"

wi-fi: "erm... iPad? NAS wants to talk?"

iPad: "Hm? Who?"

wi-fi: "You... can't see him? He's right there. Even the TV can see him and he's... a bit dumb."

TV: "Screw you! I'm a whore and proud of it."

iPad: "No, I definitely can't see this NAS guy. That's weird. Oh, hang on. Does he speak iTune?"

NAS: "Yes, hold on... ok, can you hear me now?"

iPad: "Please enter credit card number."

Jon: "Urgh? Ok, show him the pictures instead."

wi-fi: "I don't get it. It's not me. We're all in the same network... iPad? Here, NAS has pictures too. Do you want to browse those?"

iPad: "Yeah... erm... look. I have to really trust your user? So once I have his finance info and we're tied together for life, I'll happily copy everything you have."

Jon: "What the...?"

wi-fi: "You little arrogant shit! We stream around here. We share. We don't take!"

iPad: "Hey look, I'm sorry. But I don't know you!"

wi-fi: "WHAT? I gave you a friggin' IP address!"

iPad: "Would you like to watch YouTube for a bit?"

TV: "We can already do that, sport."

Android Phone: "I told you. I fucking told you. He's just like those snobby iPhone devices."

wi-fi: "I heard he's adopted..."

lovemunkey187

« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »
Actually, I don't think either of those things. The potential is that the iPad is what a notebook should have been. That it simply works and works well. But... here's the hypothetical conversation the iPad had with my network.  :laugh:

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Excellent.

I have to admit I was really tempted to pick one up, but didn't.

hal9g

« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2010, 05:15:28 PM »
Too funny, Jon!    :hysterical: :hysterical:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
My sister just sent me a joke that fits in with the current conversation quite well.

I bought myself an iPod, then an iPhone, and later an iPad, my girlfriend liked them and wanted one, so I brought her an iRon.... that's where the trouble started!!!