« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Welcome back. :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: AWOL
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »
If anyone is interested, I have uploaded my pictures I made while staying in Berlin.

Here are my pictures of Berlin itself: Link

And here are my pictures I took at the Berlin Zoo: Link
I can really recommend this zoo. Berlin has two of those. One in former Berlin-West and one in former Berlin-East. I have visited both. The pictures above are the one from the zoo in the west. The other zoo was much bigger, but far less animals. Whereas in the zoo in the west you only had to take a few steps and you saw the next animal, the zoo in the east had really long ways between the animals. I also took some pictures in that other zoo, but my batteries died early on. But I don't think you are missing much there. If you ever get the chance to visit Berlin, I think the zoo in the west is the one to go to. It is also directly in the center of the city right next to the "Brandenburger Tor" and the "Reichstag".

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2010, 11:28:48 PM »
Great pictures Tom, thank you for sharing them.

I love the little orange vehicle in the first set. Is that a bicycle or a car?

In that same set - what is that huge park in the middle of the city? I reminds me of Central Park and I wonder who designed it. Of course the buildings are much more beautiful than NYC but the oasis in the middle of a city is quite wonderful.

The zoo is terrific. It seems that the animals have lots of living space. I wonder, did you have any animals ignore you like Pete's bear?  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
I love the little orange vehicle in the first set. Is that a bicycle or a car?

It's a bicycle taxi. I saw more of these in the center of Berlin.

In that same set - what is that huge park in the middle of the city? I reminds me of Central Park and I wonder who designed it. Of course the buildings are much more beautiful than NYC but the oasis in the middle of a city is quite wonderful.
I am not 100% sure, but I think the park you are refering to is the area where most of it is the zoo.

The zoo is terrific. It seems that the animals have lots of living space. I wonder, did you have any animals ignore you like Pete's bear?  :laugh:
Quite the contrary. I had the feeling most animals were posing for the pictures. :)
I was surprised that the living space of the animals were relatively big (they have similar size here in Munich), considering that there are so many different animals in that zoo.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »
Nice pictures

snowcat

« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »
I like you pictures Tom :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
Great pictures Tom!

And Kathy... you just had to remind me of that damn bear didn't you?  :laugh:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »

If you are referring to this, that's the Tiergarten (literally: animal garden, but it's not the zoo!)

PS: I've been in Berlin for the last 3 days, too. ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:08:13 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
But the zoo is in the same area, isn't it?
Did I miss something by not visiting the Tiergarten? I only visted Berlin Zoological Garden and Tierpark Berlin.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
But the zoo is in the same area, isn't it?
Did I miss something by not visiting the Tiergarten? I only visted Berlin Zoological Garden and Tierpark Berlin.

The Tiergarten is a big garden area and the zoo is at its south-west corner, behind the canal. There's not much to see in the Tiergarten except for sun-bathers and BBQers.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:58:34 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »

If you are referring to this, that's the Tiergarten (literally: animal garden, but it's not the zoo!)

PS: I've been in Berlin for the last 3 days, too. ;)

That is the picture I was referring to - I love it. It's a zoo for human animals! :laugh:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »
Signing off now for 2 weeks whilst I go off on my jollies.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »
Enjoy your vacation :)
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
Depending on the path of Hurricane Earl, I may be offline for a few days. I'm thinking we're only going to get tropical storm conditions, but you never know.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
I am a little concerned about it here... We are supposed to see rain tonight... but we been working on a new roof for the house this week... not sure we will have it leak free before the storm hits!  :fingerchew:
Pete