Author Topic: AWOL  (Read 79440 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: AWOL
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2009, 06:32:24 AM »
I hope it's not Invelos related? If so, simply don't return there and stay here . :)
I can only hope that it's not the case. Just like you say, there should be an easy cure for that. If the other forum was able to have someone not wanting to watch movies anymore, that would be terrible.

Looking forward to your return already, Rick!

Touti

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »
Ah what the heck !  I was missing the place !

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
 :yahoo: :thundergod: :thanks: :cheers: :thumbup: :celebrate: :clapcheer: :egyptian: :drunk: :friends: :goodpost:

I think I got all the happy emoticons - welcome back Eric! ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
 :clap: Welcome back Eric ;D

Kathy you missed the clapping little guy smiley :tease:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:02:44 PM by Jimmy »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »
Ah what the heck !  I was missing the place !

And you had your account requested for deletion! *tse tse tse*

Welcome back!  :drunk:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »

I guess I really meant it when I decided to leave  :-[

I do feel however that I'm spending way too much time on internet and although I missed DVDCOL too much to stay away I have to make an effort to invest time in other things.

Two weeks ago I bought an eBook reader (Sony PRS-300) and started reading again.  If I'm not mistaking I've read only one book in over 10 years, it was more than time I did something about it.  I really my eReader, it's easy to read, environmentally friendly (no killing trees) and has an impressive battery life.  The only thing I haven't got use to yet is the screen going white instead of black when I turn it off..............it just doesn't feel normal and I always have an uncontrollable urge to check again if it's really off  ;D

richierich

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »

I really my eReader, it's easy to read, environmentally friendly (no killing trees) and has an impressive battery life. 

I sell paper for a living. I promise you the use of paper for printing is totally environmentally friendly in todays age - honestly. Forests are now farmed, and ecologically proficient, by planting 3 trees for every 1 harvested. Even in South America and Indonesia they have been legally forced to comply to global governence, as they were unable to sell their products (and we couldn't buy) without this compliance. Of course the transportation of pulp and paper still is not environmentally sound.

But that was not why I posted - just wanted to say welcome back, and even if it is on a much less regular amount of time spent here, we will always be glad to see you  :cheers:

Touti

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
Rich, I honestly don't think that planting 3 trees for every one we cut balances things out.  Just think of everything that is involved in going from a tree to a pack of paper on someone's desk.

The machines to build log roads
Cutting the trees
Transporting them
The mills to transform them into chips
The mills to extract the pulp, bleach it and produce craft paper.
Transportation of craft paper.
Mills converting it to paper
Transportation of paper
Then there's the whole recyling thing.  Many people seem to think that recycling is good for the environment.  It's not........it's better than throwing and burying but recycling requires energy, it requires burning fossil fuel to power the trucks to pick up the recycling bins in front of our houses and everything that comes with it.  Again, I really don't think that planting 3 tress for 1 makes up for all the damage.

Now I'm not saying that I want a completely paperless world, technologically wise we're not ready for that yet but we do have means of reducing our tow on the planet.  Yes we need paper for students to hand their homework, for children to practice writing, for some reporting in businesses and so on.  I also think that it would be a shame to stop printing art books.  But do we really need to physically print millions of copies of the latest Stephen King, John Grisham or Dan Brown page turner when we have a nice technology that allows people to enjoy the story with much less impact on the environment ?

Dictionaries, encyclopedia, computer books, mechanic books or any other reference material should no longer be printed IMO when it's so easy to make it available electronically which in turns make it more efficient in so many ways.  When I was a kid the encyclopaedia and dictionaries that our parents bought for us were taking a whole book shelf.  The encyclopaedia alone was 14 books, I could only consult it when I was at home, now you can carry all the dictionaries and the encyclopaedias in the world on a little thing that you use as key holder or in an eReader that you can easily carry in your Jacket inner pocket.

Why keep printing it ?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2009, 11:47:27 PM »
But on the other hand every eBook reader is a piece of electronic with all kind of toxic components and when it's broken or outdated in a few years you throw it away and buy a new one. That's not very ecological either.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Touti

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2009, 11:58:07 PM »
That's not very ecological either.

Obviously not. There's no perfect solution but it seems like electronic readers are less damaging than hundreds of millions of printed books that are read only once.

I'm guessing that Europe is more advanced than North-America about this since it usually is for that kinda things but one of the big problem here with used electronics is that people don't really have ways to get rid of them besides throwing them in the garbage.

A new law has been passed in Canada recently that forces retail stores who sell computers to also take those that people bring back for recycling.  I haven't checked that law and I don't know if it only covers computers or all electronics but that's a beginning.  I have a broken Microwave oven here that I need to get rid of, I just can't put it in the garbage but I have no idea how to get rid of it.  Same with an old (and dead) laptop that I've been keeping for over a year.

I agree that electronics isn't ecological but then nothing industrially produced is, the important is that we find ways to reduce their impact as much as possible...............and maybe one way would be to educate people to stop changing their computers every year or so just because the new model is 0.01Ghz faster :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, who's that guy who said earlier today he didn't want to spend too much time on forums anymore ?  :tomato:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:59:49 PM by Eric »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
I'm guessing that Europe is more advanced than North-America about this since it usually is for that kinda things but one of the big problem here with used electronics is that people don't really have ways to get rid of them besides throwing them in the garbage.

Not really. There are laws in Germany of how to dispose of any electrical/electronical equipment and especially batteries. But I've seen reports where especially computer junk is simply exported to North Africa and is dumped somewhere there. So we made a SEP out of our toxic garbage...
Karsten

richierich

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
I don't want to get into a debate - I MIGHT start sounding like SOMEONE else from another forum (add spelling mistakes) :devil:

But honestly I can assure you it is a common misconception that making paper is still bad for the environment. The pulp/paper industry is one of the few that makes truly sustainable products. Trees are replanted 3 or 4 times more than the cutting pace. Forests are growing and prospering, less natural diseases, and don't forget young trees absorb more CO2 from the atmosphere then older trees. And of course as a wood product it stores carbon for its lifetime.
I have visited so many mills globally, and witnessed how for example the water is treated and cleansed before release back to the rivers, which is making the water cleaner and less polluted. The amount the mill groups spend on forest communities and embracing ecosystems is amazing, and of course for them it ensures the future of the world’s forests. Paper is a fully renewable and sustainable resource, and will in time contribute to helping our planet from climate change, as forests store more carbon than the rest of earths atosphere.
Unfortunately I am well versed on this as I lead our company into obtaining PEFC accreditation.
Thats me done - now back to the important bit of dvd watching and reviews.

Touti

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
now back to the important bit of dvd watching and reviews.

Allright then................so what about DVD's..............that's plastic thrown back in the environment, I say no more DVD Collections..........reduce the pollution.........only rentals and streaming should be allowed  :devil:

richierich

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2009, 12:32:53 AM »
now back to the important bit of dvd watching and reviews.

Allright then................so what about DVD's..............that's plastic thrown back in the environment, I say no more DVD Collections..........reduce the pollution.........only rentals and streaming should be allowed  :devil:

Blasphemy!!!!!! :redcard:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
I read somewhere that disposable diapers and plastic water bottles are having the worse environmental impact on society. Since I don't use either I am going to enjoy my hardcover books and my DVDs! :tease: