Author Topic: Books  (Read 9774 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Books
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
I just won another book from my classic cinema list.  I was the only one to even attempt to answer this week's trivia question (who was the lead actress in Cobra Woman from 1944?) and I won a book by Alan G. Barbour which I believe is all about movie serials.  The only problem is I have another book already by Barbour that I believe includes the contents of 3 of his books...and I think one of them may be this book I just won.  I'll have to dig it out once the book I won arrives and see.  I wonder if Pete would want the one coming if this is the case?  I know Pete has gotten to like serials but I'm not sure if he's a big reader...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »
Congratulations Roger!

Alien Redrum

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
But, Evanovich is difficult to describe. Seldom does an author make me laugh out loud - she does that all the time.

This is very true for me, too. Some of the things the character says or gets herself into are damn funny.

Anyone here a member of Good Reads?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
I haven't heard of Good Reads before.  Looks interesting.  I'll have to look closer once I have more time.  I need to get busy and do some stuff, but I'm procrastinating again.   :laugh:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »

Anyone here a member of Good Reads?

I was told about LibraryThing first and have been happy with that. Someone there talked about Good Reads and I gave a it a try but found that I preferred the way that LibraryThing worked. I probably still have an account there as I get the occasional e-mail from them

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

snowcat

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »
Currently reading No Logo again ¬_¬

...I should stop re-reading things and read new things.

Critter

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2010, 02:18:54 AM »
I was considering starting a book review thread. A single thread where I can add a review for each book as I finish it. I am a very slow reader so the reviews could be weeks, or even months apart, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading book reviews?

Rogmeister

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2010, 02:31:50 AM »
It could be of interest.  Maybe it could be an ongoing thread like the Alfred Hitchcock Marathon where anybody can contribute reviews?  Though if you want it to be just yours, I wouldn't have a problem with that, either.

I got that book today I mentioned earlier.  And it turns out the contents of that book are indeed included in that other Alan G. Barbour book I have.

Critter

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2010, 03:11:01 AM »
I've got no problem at all with creating a book review thread that anyone can chip into if they want. Since I would probably only be posting every few weeks or even longer it could be a good way to keep the posts up in it if others contribute to.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
I wouldn't mind reading book reviews..would probably post some too.

Critter

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 01:17:36 AM »
Sounds good Marie. Do you want to start the thread or shall I?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 01:43:17 AM »
I may add a few too if I read something really good.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
Go ahead Sophie..I haven't finished anything recently.  In fact, I have to remember where I put the last book I started.    :laugh: 

Alien Redrum

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 05:30:19 AM »
Finished up Mr. Hands by Gary Braunbeck. Amazing book, amazing author.

Started Jake's Wake by John Skipp and Cody Goodfellow.

Count me in as someone who's interested in a book review thread. Has that been started and I missed it?

Critter

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
You haven't missed it yet, I am going to start it probably later today. It's just I am just about to finish a book so I thought I would wait until I finish it. That way I can start the thread off with a review.