Author Topic: Help a girl out?!?!  (Read 4858 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Help a girl out?!?!
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:33 AM »
I've been trying to get this info for a long time now, so now I'm looking to my friends on here for help.

Some may know I'm an aspiring writer, but I have some ideas I really wanna keep mine, so my question is....Can a minor claim copyright in Maryland? I know copyright laws are different for each state, so I need to know this specifically for Maryland.

I must have looked everywhere, but I can't figure it out. Someone gonna help me out here? Much obliged!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Help a girl out?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:57:52 AM »
I don't see why not...

But the easiest way to copyright something when you are a writer is to post a copy to yourself (or at your father if you prefer) by recommanded mail, keep the package in your files and don't open it. This way you have a solid proof of ownership because of the date on the package.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
I realize this but I was advised before I purchase a copyright that my state law says its ok. Idk what the Maryland copyrights laws are. I've been looking into this for a while and no answers turned up.

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
Jimmy is right, script writers often send recorded copies of a script to themselves and don't open it that way it is dated and unopened... so proof :D

...as for certain states I think the only thing you can do is write a nice letter to your local council type thing (...I have no idea what you guys have in America) and ask them for advice

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
 :laugh: lol, I know how to! I just need to know if I can

I'd try a lawyer like others advise, but that costs money we don't have, so thought I'd ask for advice here first.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »
A lot of writers publish into the public domain via websites now. Explore a couple and I'm sure you'll find other writers who can advise. I'm sure there are a lot like you who use both.

northbloke

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:25:09 PM »
I don't understand what you mean by "purchasing" a copyright. I've been doing a little bit of reading and copyright in the US is automatic. Even adding the (c) symbol has been optional since 1989, although it's still highly advisable.
I've never seen any mention of age in relation to copyright. I certainly don't see how anyone can say that a person under a certain age can't produce copyrightable material.
The only situation where complications may occur is if part or all of what you want to copyright is schoolwork. Technically anything done in school time with school materials can be considered to be "owned" by the school.

Edit: I also get the impression that US copyright is a Federal law, therefore what state you live in should be irrelevant.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:29:37 PM by northbloke »

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
By purchasing a copyright, I meant I go through the process and pay the due fine.

Purchasing copyright can be illegal to minors depending on the State Copyright law.

I didn't know about those sites, Jon. I'll look into it.

northbloke

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »
I'm assuming you've seen this on the US Copyright Office's website:

Minors may claim copyright, and the Copyright Office issues registrations to minors, but state laws may regulate the business dealings involving copyrights owned by minors.

That means you can claim copyright, you can even register copyright if you want to, but Maryland law may restrict what you're allowed to do with your copyrighted material. If you're actually wanting to produce and sell copyrighted material then you'll probably need to take legal advice as it may come under child labour laws. If however you simply want to protect your work then that's automatic and free, and you will be allowed to sue if someone infringes on your copyright.

Still not sure what you mean about purchasing copyright though - are you wanting to buy the copyright from the existing copyright holder? If so, that would be considered a business transaction and yes, may be restricted by state law. Does your school teach law, or maybe a local college? I'm sure someone there wouldn't mind answering a polite inquiry.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »
nope, not from the site I've seen, but if its official, then I guess problem solved!!

buy purchasing, as I said, I only mean I go through the process the get it and pay the fine.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
buy purchasing, as I said, I only mean I go through the process the get it and pay the fine.

But Brittany as I and Emma have already said you don't need to pay anything to get a copyright for something you create. Most of the law firm who deals in that are just a scam to make people pay unecessary fee. Don't spend hundreds of dollars for something you don't need at all...

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
Whoops

lol, sorry, I skimmed

Thanks for the warning! If someone could help me by pulling up one of the copyright websites that'd be great cuz all I can find are rules and stuff that costs money so I may need help again here, lol.

northbloke

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 01:00:34 AM »
Whoops

lol, sorry, I skimmed

Tut! Women, eh?  ::)

:devil:

Here's a page of FAQ on the US Copyright Office's official website. It also has links to the forms you have to fill in should you decide to register. You can deal with them direct if you want to, no lawyers needed.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 03:11:37 AM »
Ignoring the women comment, thx!! ;D

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
Ok, looking deeper into this, even what you gave me says a $37 submission fee of sorts. :(