Author Topic: Western Video Games  (Read 1468 times)

Rogmeister

Western Video Games
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
I forget what started the discussion, but today there's some talk of western video games at a western e-mail list I belong to.  I haven't had my Xbox hooked up in a couple of years but now, because of the discussion, I'm thinking I might try out a couple western-based games I never really bothered with much.  One is Read Dead Revolver...now I remember why...there's a sequel to this out now called Red Dead Redemption.  I can't get that new game, though, because it isn't available for a system I own.  So I'll have to stick with the older games.  I also have one called Gun.  Unlike Read Dead Revolver, Gun actually has some familiar names among the voice actors...guys like Thomas Jane, Kris Kristofferson, Ron Perlman, Lance Henriksen and Tom Skerritt.  I don't recognize who did the music for either but that doesn't mean the music (which I'm always big on) won't be good.  This makes me wonder if I should start a new thread where, instead of an ongoing review of DVDs, perhaps one talking about video games I play?  I seem to mostly play a couple of baseball games these days but I do want to get back to other games as well.  Since I rarely buy games anymore, perhaps I should call it something like Roger's Vintage Gaming Sessions?  ::)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Western Video Games
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:55:33 AM »
Sure! While I actually can't play those older games (the PS3 I bought for the Blu-ray player was my first gaming system), I'd love to read your reviews for them.

I am about to play the sequel for Red Dead Revolver (Red Dead Redemption) starting tomorrow... I also played Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood last year, which also is a sequel to a PS2 game.

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:58:21 AM »
I am about to play the sequel for Red Dead Revolver (Red Dead Redemption) starting tomorrow...

Be careful if you take on a bounty. Make sure you do not get off your horse to capture them, they'll steal the horse! (just happened to me tonight - and taming a wild horse isn't exactly easy!)

And Roger - Go for it! I'd very much enjoy reading your reviews of games!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »
Be careful if you take on a bounty. Make sure you do not get off your horse to capture them, they'll steal the horse! (just happened to me tonight - and taming a wild horse isn't exactly easy!)
Thanks!

Although, I feel tempted now to experience at least once :laugh: (the hunted stealing the horse, I mean).

Kotaku had an interview of two of Rockstar's designers the other day. They pointed out that sticking with the same horse for a while will make that horse feel attached, hence it will run longer and appear faster (when you whistle).

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:09:38 PM »
Kotaku had an interview of two of Rockstar's designers the other day. They pointed out that sticking with the same horse for a while will make that horse feel attached, hence it will run longer and appear faster (when you whistle).

That's good to know!

Although I had to skin mine... Jumping off a cliff tends to make the horse die for some odd reason..  :laugh:

Oh and unless you feel overly adventurous - do use the waypoint system on the map! It helps in avoiding the above mentioned jumps off cliffs
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:12:31 PM by RossRoy »

Rogmeister

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
I'll have to think about which systems to do games for.  Doing Super Nintendo games probably isn't the best idea since that's a really old system.  I will probably concentrate on the PS2, Xbox and GameCube...and maybe some Nintendo DS games as well.  I am not really buying much these days...but I have large libraries on these already.  I have around 40 games for the PS2 and about 65 or so for the Xbox.  The most I have, though, is the GameCube...I had 151 for it but then gave about a half-dozen to my nephew so I guess I must have 145 now.  I may start my gaming reviews tonight depending on how I feel (it's a dialysis day and those sessions often wear me out) or, if not tonight, then probably tomorrow.

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
Doing Super Nintendo games probably isn't the best idea since that's a really old system.

The SNES holds the fondest gaming memories for me. So many great games came out in that time.

To think that we went from judging games on the merit of gameplay... to nitpicking on FFXIII because the CG looks a little too compressed compared to the PS3.... it almost disgusts me. It's all "look at my shiny new realistic* graphics" instead of making fun games. Pathetic really.

* realism being all shades of dark brown, black and gray - so you can't see the fine details anyway.

Rogmeister

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »
Well, maybe I'll do some SNES games, too.  That is still one of my favorite systems.  Super Punch-Out is one I like to pull out at least once a year or so.  I've started my gaming marathon...decided to go with a baseball game I've been playing a lot so I wouldn't have to actually play it again in order to review it.  :P

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:39:51 PM »
I seem to mostly play a couple of baseball games these days but I do want to get back to other games as well. 

What baseball games do you play?

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
The last few years, the baseball games I play are either one of the MVP Baseball Games or MLB Power Pros.  MLB Power Pros uses cartoonish-looking players but it's still a lot of fun.  MLB Power Pros is the only baseball game I've ever played where I managed to pitch a perfect game, doing that with Jake Peavy.