Author Topic: Playstation 3  (Read 56748 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Playstation 3
« Reply #555 on: December 18, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »
FWIW, most review I heard (podcasts) or read preferred ME2 over ME1. Only one I think said that he felt ME1 was "bad", but still most of them like ME2 better.

And you'll have a treat with ME2 rendered by the ME3 engine! The graphics were already great! So making them even better with a new engine?
I thought that was great news too! Of course, use of a new engine may introduce new bugs and glitches.

Critter

« Reply #556 on: December 18, 2010, 04:52:24 AM »
I think in the case of video games it seems like most (not all) but most sequels are better than the originals. Some examples are Assassin's Creed 2 and Uncharted 2. It seems that films sequels will almost always be rubbish compared to the original, yet with games they seem to just keep improving with each new sequel. Of course I could name both some films with better sequels than the first, and some games with very poor sequels but I find overall game sequels are usually better than film ones. I think maybe the game studios listen to the people more, each sequel seems to fix every little thing that people had complaints about in an original and just overall improves the whole game, usually by quite a lot.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 18, 2010, 04:54:05 AM »
 :goodpost:

Najemikon

« Reply #558 on: December 18, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
I think in the case of video games it seems like most (not all) but most sequels are better than the originals. Some examples are Assassin's Creed 2 and Uncharted 2. It seems that films sequels will almost always be rubbish compared to the original, yet with games they seem to just keep improving with each new sequel. Of course I could name both some films with better sequels than the first, and some games with very poor sequels but I find overall game sequels are usually better than film ones. I think maybe the game studios listen to the people more, each sequel seems to fix every little thing that people had complaints about in an original and just overall improves the whole game, usually by quite a lot.

They understand their audience much better than an average studio executive, it seems, and while they do listen to the players, they stick to their guns better. A lot of movie executives put too much faith in what they think the mass public wants, instead of concentrating on what's right. I also think the average game player has more respect for a label than an average movie goer has for a studio; too many sequels, remakes and cash-ins, all delivered with the same bullshit has tested audience patience to the limit. They still go of course and lap up even the worst films with frothing mouth obsession, but deep down I think there is a lack of respect that game designers have managed to hold onto.

Something I've thought about before that feeds into this is science-fiction. As a genre, I think it's the only one movies have failed consistently to grasp. You wouldn't go anywhere else for a Western or a Musical. Slapstick comedy? Hollywood owns. It invented Horror as we understand it. And it's grasp on Thriller is so strong, even authors of best-selling crime novels find themselves using conventions movies invented. Movies built it, games, comics and books live in it and regularly kick their ass.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #559 on: December 18, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »
You know what really needs to come to PSN? That brilliant and visually stunning Xbox Live Arcade game, Limbo.
That and Crash Bandicoot 2. The first and third are on there as well as Crash Team Racing (best racing game ever) but not Crash 2, what's up with that shit?

RossRoy

« Reply #560 on: December 18, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »
You know what really needs to come to PSN? That brilliant and visually stunning Xbox Live Arcade game, Limbo.

Well if PS3 gets Limbo... I want Flower!! ;)

Critter

« Reply #561 on: December 18, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »

That actually sounds like a pretty fair trade. Flower is awesome.

Actually, speaking of trades I almost feel as if we should be giving you something in return for ME2/3 etc. Like Heavy Rain or Little Big Planet.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #562 on: December 18, 2010, 11:55:22 PM »

That actually sounds like a pretty fair trade. Flower is awesome.

Actually, speaking of trades I almost feel as if we should be giving you something in return for ME2/3 etc. Like Heavy Rain or Little Big Planet.

No way, give the Xbox nothing! They've had it good long enough.

Critter

« Reply #563 on: December 18, 2010, 11:58:59 PM »
Actually, didn't Sony give the Xbox the Final Fantasy series after all these years? In a way this could be like a belated trade off of that.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #564 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
I wouldn't know, I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games.

Critter

« Reply #565 on: December 19, 2010, 12:03:59 AM »
Not into the Japanese games? They are sort of like playing anime, and I love anime so that sits well with me.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #566 on: December 19, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »
Not really. Yet my all time favourite game is Japanese, Ufouria: The Saga on the NES.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #567 on: December 19, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
I thought the new Final Fantasy game was still just for Playstation 3.

Critter

« Reply #568 on: December 19, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure all new FF games are x360 as well.

To Kevin and Achim - Good try just then, we'll beat it one day! Sorry I couldn't stay on for a few more rounds but I have heaps of housework to do this arvo. I might be able to have another go tonight though. That damn sniper level!  ;)

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #569 on: December 19, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
Can we try another map next time? Urban Nepal is kind of giving me the shits.  :laugh: