Author Topic: Playstation 3  (Read 56945 times)

Critter

Re: Playstation 3
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »
Haha whoops, my apologies, I should have mentioned I was playing the seqeul. I will try out what you mentioned there when I play it later on, thanks for that.

The thing with the Uncharted games is that I love all the shoot outs, exploring jungles etc etc but when it comes to the little puzzle and riddle sections it drives me crazy. I find them boring and hard and always get stuck in them. Ah well, I suppose I can't have the good without the bad.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
The Uncharted games are awesome, I agree all the way. I am sure I'll be replaying them at some point.

The thing with the Uncharted games is that I love all the shoot outs, exploring jungles etc etc but when it comes to the little puzzle and riddle sections it drives me crazy. I find them boring and hard and always get stuck in them. Ah well, I suppose I can't have the good without the bad.
I recently read the "I <3 stupid games" article at kotaku.com, which in part talks about the question of good games having boring bits in them. For the most part the answer is simple: the awesome parts would become boring themselves, so they are broken up with small interludes of traveling or puzzles.

Critter

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »
The Uncharted games are awesome, I agree all the way. I am sure I'll be replaying them at some point.

I recently read the "I <3 stupid games" article at kotaku.com, which in part talks about the question of good games having boring bits in them. For the most part the answer is simple: the awesome parts would become boring themselves, so they are broken up with small interludes of traveling or puzzles.

I love the travelling parts in the games, travelling and exploring towns and jungles etc, so it doesn't all have to be shooting, it's just the puzzles in particular I don't like. That's probably becuase they just frustrate me too easily though. I can see how they add to the game overall though. I suppose I would also finish the game too quickly if I didn't have them. But then it can also have quite the opposite effect. If I get stuck in a game in a shooting area I will just try and try until I beat it. In the past though I have been known to stop playing games altogether when I get stuck in a puzzle area. Mainly becuase it's too frustrating and I find it boring.

RossRoy

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
If I get stuck in a game in a shooting area I will just try and try until I beat it. In the past though I have been known to stop playing games altogether when I get stuck in a puzzle area. Mainly becuase it's too frustrating and I find it boring.

I'll usually keep on trying until I make it - but I have to see some sort of improvement. If I get stuck and keep failing at something I start to feel as being completely cheap and arbitrarily hard - I give up (Tales of Vesperia comes to mind.. I can't beat a boss.. and I can't backtrack to level up)

If you like exploration, you have to get Fallout 3 (or Oblivion - both by Bethesda - don't know if they're both of PS3). Both games pretty much mainly just exploration with some fighting interspersed.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
I'm playing Borderlands on 360, lots of travelling around and lots of blowing shiznit up :thumbup:

northbloke

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:07 PM »
I'll add my support to Borderlands too. It's wickedly funny - it's basically a desert planet inhabited by rednecks (and midgets)!  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »
If you like exploration, you have to get Fallout 3 (or Oblivion - both by Bethesda - don't know if they're both of PS3). Both games pretty much mainly just exploration with some fighting interspersed.
They are noth available for PS3, both as Game of the Year edition with the DLC included.

I will add my support for all three games. Although Borderlands is not so much abot exploration, simply about blowing stuff up and levelling up. I find Borderlands is a bit faulty though as far as the levelling is concerned. It is quite possible/likely to "outrank" the enemies at some point, which makes the game unplayable easy (of course, fighting enemies higher than is quite annoying too, but there is a remedy for that, obviously).

Critter

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:38 AM »
I'm really interested in a new game that just came out, I think it's on PS3. Anyway I saw some videos for Lost Plant 2 and it looked amazing. I love games with monsters/bosses that are huge, and the scale of the creates in this one looks amazing.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »
I'm really interested in a new game that just came out, I think it's on PS3. Anyway I saw some videos for Lost Plant 2 and it looked amazing. I love games with monsters/bosses that are huge, and the scale of the creates in this one looks amazing.
You might want to find some reviews for this one first, ideally video reviews. I have read a few things about Lost Planet 2 and almost none of it was good.

W0m6at

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:05 AM »
Lately I've mostly been enjoying a PSP mini that I've downloaded (they're all PS3 compatible now) called Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess. Very cute and fun 2D vertical scrolling platformer. Terribly frustrating at times, but lots of fun, and with a quirky sense of humour.

W0m6at

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:20 AM »
I'm pretty stoked. The original was a great game; loads of fun... and this looks to up the stakes.

PixelJunk Shooter 2 announced

Here's a trailer for the original:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:24 AM »
Shooter is great! I love (almost) all the PixelJunk games. Racer has a rather steep learnign curve, Monsters is awesome tower defense, Eden is difficult and Shooter is their most accessible fun game.

The end boss in Shooter had me give up, it's rather hard, or, actually it's just an annoying grind... Still looking forward to part 2 though.

W0m6at

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »
Shooter is great! I love (almost) all the PixelJunk games. Racer has a rather steep learnign curve, Monsters is awesome tower defense, Eden is difficult and Shooter is their most accessible fun game.

The end boss in Shooter had me give up, it's rather hard, or, actually it's just an annoying grind... Still looking forward to part 2 though.

I kept at it (fun finishing cutscene), and then when I revisited it in 2-player, absolutely blitzed it. I've not gone back to get the various awards though.

Also, I've not tried any of the other PixelJunk games. I suspect using a CRT telly (as I do), I'd be struggling with Monsters.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »
I kept at it (fun finishing cutscene), and then when I revisited it in 2-player, absolutely blitzed it. I've not gone back to get the various awards though.
I have a friend who occasionally will agree to play with me (he is clearly a non-gamer, but he quite enjoys tower defense, like Monsters). Since the "campaign" is not split, maybe he can help me just with that last level, so at least I get to finish it once. When we previously played co-op I did find that it was easier than single...

I suspect using a CRT telly (as I do), I'd be struggling with Monsters.
There is lots of small stuff you should be looking at, so the CRT might lessen the experience indeed.

RossRoy

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
Any of you planning on getting/renting/trying Red Dead Redemption?

I think it looks really interesting. Especially for Roger ;)