Author Topic: Playstation 3  (Read 56832 times)

Najemikon

Re: Playstation 3
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2010, 01:55:05 AM »
Yep, £40 currently converts to $63. You pay how much??!!??

Critter

« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2010, 02:06:44 AM »
See I knew it! I swear Australia has the most expensive new games anywhere in the world. Our consoles are also more expensive here as well, usually by $100 or so. Once a game has been out for a while you can usually get it preowned for about $30-$60 (depending on how popular the game), but new release games are always about $100, give or take 20 bucks. And they usually stay that way a long time. That's why I never play new games when they first come out, I usually have to wait a year or so till it's a reasonable price.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2010, 05:23:28 AM »
I double checked. The amount of trophies is correct, but Scott Pilgrim is still missing. I wonder how long it will be till they fix it and add all the new games.
Like I said, I am missing Lara Croft and that's a month old. Not sure what's causing them the trouble. I believe many of the previous users of other card switched there. Not totally sure how it works in detail, but in the end someone has to give them the list of trophy names and descriptions together with the images :shrug: I read in the ps3trophies.org forum a lot (they are a good source if you need help with particular trophy too) and they usually get the infos about at least a week early.

I am a bit lucky. Here in Taiwan I pay the equvialent of approx. $50 for most games. Fallout New Vegas was even only $40 (incl. That Japanese comic book!). ...and I had thought Europe was expensive, but now see Australia clearly takes the cake.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:26:50 AM by Achim »

snowcat

« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
...I rememeber studying something about why Australia is so much more expensive at school...

It was about 10 years ago...

its something to do with demand, places like the US are cheaper because there is a higher demand for things,  its also something to do with government, tax and benefits but I can't really remember.

(Edit)

I think it may be to do with populations.... think about the population density of the US compared to Australia.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:25:58 AM by Emma »

Critter

« Reply #274 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
Haha, conveniently enough we never studied that at school here, they never explained to us why things are so damn expensive in our own country!  I don't know if everything is more expensive here or not, maybe it's just the technology side of things. Either way, after reading all your video game prices I feel cheated! No wonder I get to play so few games, everything is practically doubled here!  :thumbdown:

Najemikon

« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
Any multi-region options on PS3? I know you've said before you don't buy on the Internet, but you could save a fortune by importing. If they work of course! :P

Critter

« Reply #276 on: October 23, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
Hmm no idea, I'll have to look into that. I still don't like the idea of buying games overseas but I suppose I could try it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 23, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
For the time being the PS3 is region free for games. Importing games gets tricky trying to find a retailer. Amazon for example follows the requirements and doesn't ship abroad.

Furthermore, if there potentially will be DLC later on, be aware that DLC is tied to the disc's region. So, if you import a game from the US you would have to buy the DLC from the US PSN store, the Australian DLC won't work (there are exceptions).

Critter

« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
Hm I think I will be sticking to my expensive games if that's the case.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2010, 06:53:44 AM »
Hm I think I will be sticking to my expensive games if that's the case.
Well, let me add...

While governed by the same restrictions, there are PSN Network Cards. I was able to get my hands on cards for the US and the Uk store (Amazon doesn't sell them abroad, others might; I was lucky to have good friends help me and I know play-Asia.com ships...). So, I can now make purchases in totally four PSN stores: US, UK and of course Germany and Taiwan.

I haven't tried to order from them yet, but Axel may ship abroad. I am sure there are others.

Critter

« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »
I think I might just stick to buying games in-store here. They are very expensive but in a way that almost makes each new game just that touch more special, especially since I don't have many games to begin with. Also, I probably won't be getting any new games now until Christmas.

Critter

« Reply #281 on: October 29, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
I just finished playing the first two levels of Flower, the second game for me to download from the PSN store. Very interesting, I quite like it so far.

W0m6at

« Reply #282 on: October 29, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
I just finished playing the first two levels of Flower, the second game for me to download from the PSN store. Very interesting, I quite like it so far.
When you're done with that, perhaps give PixelJunk Eden a shot. Simpler graphics, but again a quite relaxed game.

Critter

« Reply #283 on: October 29, 2010, 02:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the note Wombat, I'll make a note to check that one out.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #284 on: October 29, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
If you like Pixel Junk Eden, be sure to also check out Pixel Junk Monsters.  That game has received more play time than anything else in our house.  And it was the first game played when I get our fixed PS3 back earlier this week! ;D