Author Topic: How do you organise your collection? (off the computer)  (Read 4729 times)

snowcat

How do you organise your collection? (off the computer)
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »
I just looked at my shelves and piles of DVD and realised.... there is absolutely no order what so ever.

Ive tried alphabetical, I even tried genre to which I found it hard to pick genres for certain films so Im looking for a maybe a new way... or maybe to go back to one of the old ones  :shrug:

So how do you organise yours?

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: How do you organise your collection? (off the computer)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »
I just looked at my shelves and piles of DVD and realised.... there is absolutely no order what so ever.

Ive tried alphabetical, I even tried genre to which I found it hard to pick genres for certain films so Im looking for a maybe a new way... or maybe to go back to one of the old ones  :shrug:

:thumbup: as above  :laugh:. Honestly my collection is all higgledy piggledy. I started with shelves, in my main viewing room, separated into anime and live action and then alphabetical within those. However I long ago outgrew these shelves and started to collect piles. Then when I upgraded to HD-DVD and then BD I bought a couple of smaller shelf units for those.  However, again, they are full so now it is just the complete shelves with numerous piles and piles of DVDs and BDs. What I may do is to dump my VHS collection, currently on shelves in my bedroom, and move the anime to replace them. Then I ought to be able to relocate some of my piles onto the freed up shelves in the viewing room and whilst doing that work try to offload the double/triple/quadruple dips as well.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
If I didn't go alphabetically I would never be able to find anything. Rarely, I will keep something out of order that makes sense to me. For example I keep all 4 Die Hard movies together even thought the fourth should be listed under "L". The other exception is if the DVD has more then one movie - I keep all of them after "Z".

I made floor to ceiling book shelves that stores my vinyl/books in the back and my DVDs in front of them. I leave lots of room so that I can add to the collection without having to move everything.

So I keep my collection the way it is in DVDP - I use the "Sort" section to change the exceptions listed above.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »

Ive tried alphabetical, I even tried genre to which I found it hard to pick genres for certain films so Im looking for a maybe a new way... or maybe to go back to one of the old ones  :shrug:

By genre. I have no such trouble picking the right area! :devil: (how it's treated in Profiler is a pet peeve of mine so I ignore it and just do my own thing).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
If I didn't go alphabetically I would never be able to find anything. Rarely, I will keep something out of order that makes sense to me. For example I keep all 4 Die Hard movies together even thought the fourth should be listed under "L"
This.

I use IKEA's Billy as shelves; got 3 tall and 1 half one. Exceptions are The Criterion Collection, which are sorted according spine number, Box Sets, which are sorted according the set's titles and TV stuff is separately stored in a cabinet. Also Blu-rays are currently still on their own, but since they are now more than 10% of my collection I may have to mix them in soon.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
Shortly before Easter I did a major re-org with my movies. Before I had several "genres" (real and pseudo) and within that the movies alphabetically with the exception of boxes and a few "presenter items".

Now I've re-org'ed to strictly alphabetically for all movies. Depending on how many movies I have per letter it gets its own shelf or has to share it with the next letter. But there's always room for at least 10-15 movies more to prevent a new re-org anytime soon.

Sequels with different names than the original will be ordered after the original as if they were numbered (Army of Darkness is Evil Dead 3).

Box sets got their own shelf, also sorted alphabetically.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:54:50 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
I keep all my DVDs in binders and each binder is for a specific decade. I'm pretty anal when it comes to knowing the production years of films so this works well for me. The only difference is the specific binders I have for Documentaries, Television shows and Cartoon compilations.

My wife, on the other hand, has to ask me to find a film if she wants to watch one. But she rarely watches any of them, so it's not really a big deal for her.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
Binders!!??!!  :o

:laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01:19 PM »

Why do you find that so amusing?

It's less space absorbing, much easier to organize, and if there's ever a fire in my home, a quick extrication to safety.

I started to do this five years ago when I got tired of coming up with new storage areas for my collection, and I've never regretted the decision.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »

Why do you find that so amusing?

It's blasphemy!!!
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
It's blasphemy!!!

Why?

It's not like the keep cases have the same artistic merit as LP jackets. They're just a case with a sleeve of paper in it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
They're just a case with a sleeve of paper in it.

*Brain aneurysm explodes*

Just kidding of course. But for some the case is part of the experience. On the german board www.areadvd.de there are entire threads dedicated to special packings. It's called the "Verpackungsfetischismuskantine" (packaging fetishism cafeteria).

And personally, I wouldn't want to miss the cases either.
Karsten

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »
Why is OK to put CD's in binders, but not DVD's?

I understand people's love for the cases, but from a practicality standpoint, they're just a holding cell for the disc that takes up a lot of acreage when accumulated in large numbers.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
Why is OK to put CD's in binders, but not DVD's?

Who ever said it was ok? ;)

Of course there's always the practicability aspect. If you don't have the space, you don't have the space; it's as simple as that.

But as long as I do have the space, I wouldn't get rid of the cases.
Karsten

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
I like looking around my living room and seeing my collections. It wouldn't be the same if they were just in a binder. That goes for my vinyl, DVDs, CDs or books. I want them the way the came to me.