Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855251 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1830 on: August 11, 2009, 06:06:20 AM »
:thumbup: It is pretty cool.
I took my time to decide positively for it, but am gald I did. I ordered it from DeepDiscount during their 25% sale, which brought the price to a more reasonable level. Fuuny enough, Amazon saw fit to match that price almost exactly and haven't raised it back up yet, despite DeepDiscount's sale having ended (hasn't it?).

I haven't opened it yet, but from what I have seen you get additional cases to store the discs, so one doesn't have to keep it in the stand of the bust :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1831 on: August 11, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
I've only gotten 2 more in the last few weeks.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1832 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »

I almost would have said that this calls for a marathon. But I wouldn't want you to be behind in yet another marathon  :P :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1833 on: August 11, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
 :hysterical:

Yes I know I am horribly behind in ...3 marathons now I believe it is.  I will finish them.  Some day.  :lol

RossRoy

« Reply #1834 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06:41 AM »
:hysterical:

Yes I know I am horribly behind in ...3 marathons now I believe it is.  I will finish them.  Some day.  :lol

I know the feeling... :-[

Najemikon

« Reply #1835 on: August 12, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »
I watched Fawlty Towers only recently, but as it's superb and only two [British] seasons, it wouldn't be a long marathon I'd be happy to join in. Pull your finger out, Marie!  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #1836 on: August 12, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »
Hey, Achim, I notice you've seen Eastern Promises according to your banner. What did you think?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 13, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »
Hey, Achim, I notice you've seen Eastern Promises according to your banner. What did you think?
Definitely needs a second viewing...

Acting is very good, mainly Mortensen, Mueller-Stahl and cassel, but also Watts. The story is interesting although will probabyl not catch everybody's interest (14-year old Russian "slave girl" dies during child birth in London. Nurse tries to find relatives and gets unwillingly and unknowingly in touch with the Russian mafia). The end is a bit problematic
(click to show/hide)
but that does not lower the films score. A solid .

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 13, 2009, 02:46:43 PM »
Another package (well, three) arrived from the DeepDiscount 25% sale:

Raging Bull
This Is Spinal Tap
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Donnie Darko
Knocked Up
Pineapple Express
Hard Eight
El Dorado
Parker Lewis Can't Lose: The Complete First Season
Red Dawn
Who Can Kill a Child?
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
The Big Lebowski
Black Christmas
Phenomena

(...and yes, I am still waiting for more. :bag:)

Najemikon

« Reply #1839 on: August 13, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »
Definitely needs a second viewing...

Acting is very good, mainly Mortensen, Mueller-Stahl and cassel, but also Watts. The story is interesting although will probabyl not catch everybody's interest (14-year old Russian "slave girl" dies during child birth in London. Nurse tries to find relatives and gets unwillingly and unknowingly in touch with the Russian mafia). The end is a bit problematic
(click to show/hide)
but that does not lower the films score. A solid .

Interesting comments! I found it very weak, especially considering how good History of Violence was, and found the lack of suspense throughout was rubbish. I reviewed here... ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 13, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
Interesting comments! I found it very weak, especially considering how good History of Violence was, and found the lack of suspense throughout was rubbish. I reviewed here... ;)
Of course it can't come close the the very lean and mean History of Violence, that is one of Cronenberg's masterpieces! However, while maybe subpar for a Cronenberg I found it better than most other films of the same category. The lack of suspense throughout was fine with me, he was concentrating on the story, just at the end there should have been some, as a climax (the bathhouse fight was too early to be considered the climax).

Najemikon

« Reply #1841 on: August 13, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
I just got bored with it. Felt like a documentary because nothing actually happened apart from the sauna fight.
(click to show/hide)

But if you liked it, you'd probably enjoy Dirty Pretty Things by the same writer. Still feels like a documentary to me, but it gets a bit surreal so found it more interesting than EP. I think Cronenberg was just a director-for-hire on this.

By the way, have you ever read History of Violence the graphic novel? It's very good. Bit different to the film plot and written by John Wagner who created Judge Dredd...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 13, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »
Later on this month is my mother's 76th birthday. I decided to pick up a few movies for her this year to go with the rest of her gifts. She has surprising tastes for a woman of her age... she absolutely loves War Movies and Martial Arts Movies. So I got her 2 war movies and 1 martial arts movie. Not really knowing much about either genre I hope I got her some good ones... I got her...

- Jarhead
- Casualties of War
- Best of the Best

Hopefully they are good ones!

while placing this order I couldn't help but to get myself a cheap DVD also  :bag: I ordered myself...

Greatest '70s Cop Shows
From Police Woman to Aaron Spelling classics like Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, S.W.A.T. and The Rookies, grab a seat and get ready to revisit all your favorite moments from the coolest crop of '70s cop shows. Digitally remastered on DVD for the first time ever, TV's sexiest adventures, high-octane car chases and thrilling shoot-outs have never looked better! This DVD collects five sought-after first episodes from the first seasons of these beloved action-packed hit series.

Episodes:
Starsky and Hutch - Episode One - Savage Sunday
Charlie's Angels - Episode One - Hellride
The Rookies - Episode One - Concrete Valley, Neon Sky
S.W.A.T. - Episode One - The Killing Ground
Police Woman - Episode One - The End Game

I figured it was cheap ($5) and it may give me some ideas on some new series to start collecting. The only one I have seen before is the episode of S.W.A.T. as I have the first season set of that already.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1843 on: August 13, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »
Casualties of War is excellent. It's a do-the-right-thing story with Michael J Fox having to stand up to bullies in his squad while in Vietnam. Jarhead I haven't seen, but it's directed by Sam Mendes and is fairly well regarded so I doubt you went wrong there. Best of the Best, I'm really not sure! Eric Roberts? Martial Arts?  :hmmmm:  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »
 :laugh: well good to hear I picked some good ones for War movies... as for Eric Roberts in a martial arts movie... well hopefully she will like it anyway.  :P
Pete