Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855664 times)

lovemunkey187

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1695 on: July 17, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
That is cool Marie. I am glad you were able to enjoy both. I believe what part of my problem is.. is I grew up watching these shows (Get Smart, Dukes of Hazzard, Incredible Hulk)... so they hold a special place in my heart as childhood memories. So in my mind the least little change to the way it was to me is like... That isn't right! How could they screw that up so badl?!?! I know it makes little sense... but it is the way some of us old fans feel when we see movies like these. Though it does seem to be hit and miss... as I loved the Bewitched movie... and that went way off of the series.  :P

Oh I know what you mean and I understand.  I grew up watching The Dukes of Hazzard..probably my favorite show for a long time.
I gave the movie version a chance...I ..well.  I won't say I hated it, because there were a few things that were fine, but they really messed up most of the characters...made Uncle Jessie a stoner...Bo was talking like he loved the General Lee like a woman or something...Daisy..well.  She was really just there as eye candy.  So trust me, I understand about not liking some of the movies after having seen the tv shows.

Oh..I liked the new Bewitched movie too.  I thought the way it was done was interesting.

Dukes Of Hazzard film is great. I'm of the opinion that it is not a discredit to the memory of the series. Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scoot had a really good rapport, in much the same way that John Schneider and Tom Woppat did.
and Burt Reynolds( :bow: :bow: :bow:) was in it, 'nuff said.

Marie, what's your point about Daisy? Catherine Bach for the most part was there as eye candy, usually to distract Enos. Just like Jessica Simpson did (exceedingly well, migh I add)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1696 on: July 17, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
I know she was mostly eye candy in the series as well, but she wasn't as...obviously sexual in the series.  In the movie, it seemed all she did was strut around in skimpy outfits to distract men.

lyonsden5

« Reply #1697 on: July 18, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »
Amazon TV sale. Prices are just about the same as the Deep Discount sale, on the ones DD had that is.

Have not seen this. My wife really likes it.

Blind buy. I like Chuck Connors though and I like old TV Westerns.

Another favorite from my past  :thumbup:

Already had S3.

. I've really enjoyed this show when it was aired a few years ago on TNT. The series ended on a cliffhanger ( :redcard: ). Being a syndicated show I waited for someone besides TNT to pick it up... didn't happen.  :( Now at least I can re-watch the show - even though I know the ending going to really bug me (again)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #1698 on: July 18, 2009, 03:48:03 AM »
I know she was mostly eye candy in the series as well, but she wasn't as...obviously sexual in the series.  In the movie, it seemed all she did was strut around in skimpy outfits to distract men.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1699 on: July 18, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
Paheli (£3.79 at Amazon.co.uk)
Another Shahrukh Khan movie which sounds like fun. And it stars my Rani Mukherji who currently holds the place of my second favorite Bollywood actress.

Rogmeister

« Reply #1700 on: July 18, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
Rick, I remember "Branded" when it first aired...was that the late 60s or the 1970s?  Looking it up in a TV book I have, I see it started in 1965.  I actually don't remember too much about it apart from the theme song but I also have The Guns of Will Sonnett which has been released on DVD by the same company.  The quality is so-so and they used syndicated prints of those...so I hope you can still enjoy it.  I should check the price...if it's really cheap, I might get it myself...  :P

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 21, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
Today I received:

The IT Crowd: Version 3.0
Being Human: Series One
No Heroics: The Complete First Series
Dead Set
Evil Aliens
Severance

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »

Looks interesting. Do you know it already?
Looks like it could be in the style of the movie "The Specials".

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #1703 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 22, 2009, 06:15:43 AM »

Looks interesting. Do you know it already?
Looks like it could be in the style of the movie "The Specials".
I know neither The Specials nor I have I seen No Heroics yet. From what I know about The Specials I would gather they are similar. Maybe with a bit of Mystery Men thrown in for good measure(?)

Basically it's about a bunch of superheroes with mostly useless powers who struglle through everyday life. It's another recmommendation from my good friends of (Cool) Shite on the Tube :D (the linked page has a trailer too)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »
Something to do during my vacation time (I have now two weeks off)

Kleinruppin forever (€5.44 at Amazon.de)
Recommended by Karsten.
Salaam Namaste (€9.95 at Amazon.de)
Another Bollywood comedy starring Preity Zinta.
Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam (€7.95 at Amazon.de)
Another Shahrukh Khan comedy. I was disappointed that this German release is also from Eros International. Hopefully the German division is better quality-wise than the UK Eros International. But I have not much hope as the cover hints at a non-anamorphic transfer.
Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (€9.95 at Amazon.de)
Stars both my favorite Bollywood ladies: Preity Zinta and Rani Mukherji
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (€7.95 at Amazon.de)
Another Shahrukh Khan comedy. It also stars Kajol, who was in some of the Bollywood movies I have already watched.
Yes Man (£9.29 at Amazon.co.uk)
I haven't seen this one. But I generally enjoy Jim Carrey. Even though it sounds like a similar movie as Liar Liar, I have not so much a problem with it, because I liked Liar Liar. Another bonus: It co-stars Zooey Deschanel.
Becoming Jane (£9.29 at Amazon.co.uk)
I haven't seen this one yet. Bought it as it stars Anne Hathaway.
Mission Kashmir (£5.04 at Amazon.co.uk)
It stars Hrithik Roshan and Preity Zinta.
Bride & Prejudice (£4.22 at Amazon.co.uk)
It's from the same director as "Bend It Like Beckham".
The IT Crowd: Version 3.0 (£8.26 at Amazon.co.uk)
Third series of this fun show.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 22, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »
:hmmmm:

Since at least three of us have it, actually just received it, shall we make a short IT-Crowd: Series 3 marathon soon?

Unless Karsten already finished it...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 22, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
I am in.

Najemikon

« Reply #1708 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »
Yes Man (£9.29 at Amazon.co.uk)
I haven't seen this one. But I generally enjoy Jim Carrey. Even though it sounds like a similar movie as Liar Liar, I have not so much a problem with it, because I liked Liar Liar. Another bonus: It co-stars Zooey Deschanel.

This is at least a true story. I haven't seen it, but I did hear a wonderful quote from Danny Wallace who wrote the book.

He was on the red carpet at the première of this movie, starring Jim Carrey, based on his book, when he was asked if saying Yes to everything actually worked...

"Well it got me here", he replied.  :laugh:

Whatever the film's like, that is a brilliant answer to have!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #1709 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools