Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855881 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1485 on: May 20, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
The DVD boxset is under a tenner, but Tom went for Blu-Ray.
Doh  :slaphead: Should have opened my eyes a bot more... Thanks Jon.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1486 on: May 20, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
Life On Mars: Series One
If you watch it soon I can easily decide whether to add it to my upcoming amazon.co.uk order or not ;)

I have watched three episodes so far now, and I must admit, that the series hasn't won me over yet. To me it feels like the average cop drama show like "CSI" and "Law and Order" (though I have yet to see a complete episode of those). A genre I am not a big fan of. I only watch and enjoy some crime-solving TV series, but more because of the characters than anything else (like Columbo, Monk or Psych). But in this series there is no character I particularly like. Most of them are even pretty unlikable.
The time-travel plot device is hardly used. There are some scenes where he hears voices like someone is talking to his comatose self, to keep up the question, if he has travelled through time or is just in a coma, or just simply lunatic. These scenes do not have anything to do with the rest of the episode and just are there to remind us, that he is not supposed to be there. Otherwise you wouldn't notice it at all anymore. Except that he sometimes mentions something like "I used to live here... I mean I will", he behaves like it is the most natural thing that he is there.
The only reason I see for using the time-travel gimmick is, to have an excuse to set the series in the 70s. Otherwise they could just as well do a "big city cop is mixing up the small town police"-story.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 20, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
Today I got a package in the mail... a friend got me this for my Birthday...

Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Edition

Extras Include:
- 3 Episodes of the Beetlejuice Cartoon
---- A-Ha!
---- Skeletons in the Closet
---- Spookie Boo-tique
- A Music Only Track (that's an extra?)
- Theatrical Trailer

Not really much of a special edition... but I won't complain about that... it is definitely better the the original release. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1488 on: May 20, 2009, 11:52:31 PM »
Life On Mars: Series One
If you watch it soon I can easily decide whether to add it to my upcoming amazon.co.uk order or not ;)

I have watched three episodes so far now, and I must admit, that the series hasn't won me over yet. To me it feels like the average cop drama show like "CSI" and "Law and Order" (though I have yet to see a complete episode of those). A genre I am not a big fan of. I only watch and enjoy some crime-solving TV series, but more because of the characters than anything else (like Columbo, Monk or Psych). But in this series there is no character I particularly like. Most of them are even pretty unlikable.
The time-travel plot device is hardly used. There are some scenes where he hears voices like someone is talking to his comatose self, to keep up the question, if he has travelled through time or is just in a coma, or just simply lunatic. These scenes do not have anything to do with the rest of the episode and just are there to remind us, that he is not supposed to be there. Otherwise you wouldn't notice it at all anymore. Except that he sometimes mentions something like "I used to live here... I mean I will", he behaves like it is the most natural thing that he is there.
The only reason I see for using the time-travel gimmick is, to have an excuse to set the series in the 70s. Otherwise they could just as well do a "big city cop is mixing up the small town police"-story.

:bag:

I don't entirely disagree, because yes, it is a full-on seventies cop show more than a time bender, but the time elements are brilliantly handled while at the same time being very ambiguous. Apologies if I misled you by talking about the time element more.

I found the balance between police styles fascinating. Sam's modern approach generally seems better, but he frequently falls short and Gene's door-kicking method works better.

As the episodes go on, you may find it more interesting. Meeting family from his childhood and affecting his future by not catching or even arresting people he should leave alone. Plus there's one incredible sequence where they give him drugs in the future and screws him up in the past! Keep watching...  :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1489 on: May 20, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »
As the episodes go on, you may find it more interesting. Meeting family from his childhood and affecting his future by not catching or even arresting people he should leave alone. Plus there's one incredible sequence where they give him drugs in the future and screws him up in the past! Keep watching...  :P

Sounds like it could become interesting.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 21, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »
- A Music Only Track (that's an extra?)
It's the best extra possible... just not for you :tease:

The dvd of The Image had this extra and this is great, almost like I would own the soundtrack. There are so many Italians movie that I would like to have this too...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 21, 2009, 01:08:56 AM »
I know it isn't really that popular... but my favorite extra always been a blooper reel. I always liked seeing people flub their lines and goofing off. Made it look like they had a great time making the film. :p
Pete

richierich

« Reply #1492 on: May 21, 2009, 01:17:10 AM »
I know it isn't really that popular... but my favorite extra always been a blooper reel. I always liked seeing people flub their lines and goofing off. Made it look like they had a great time making the film. :p

I'm with you Pete, particularly like the blooper reels as well.
The House series have some great ones  :hysterical:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1493 on: May 21, 2009, 01:40:13 AM »

I usually like the bloopers too.  Though I find it annoying when a DVD calls like 2 or 3 outtakes a blooper reel. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1494 on: May 21, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »
I've gotten a few more recently.  I did look at the DVD at Walamrt yesterday, but they were in the process of rearranging the section..again..and there were more empty spots than anything.  I hate when they move stuff around like that.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 21, 2009, 02:40:07 AM »

I'm with you Pete, particularly like the blooper reels as well.
The House series have some great ones  :hysterical:

I been wanting to check out the House series... I caught a handful of episodes on TV when they were having a marathon not too long ago... looked like it is a good series!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 21, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »

I usually like the bloopers too.  Though I find it annoying when a DVD calls like 2 or 3 outtakes a blooper reel. 

Maybe more popular then I thought... at least here.  :P I know I said that on some other forum a while back and I was like the only person there that liked them! :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 21, 2009, 06:33:06 AM »
I have watched three episodes so far now, and I must admit, that the series hasn't won me over yet.
Thanks for that initial "review", Tom.

Accoreing to Jon's reply this could be a slow burner and get better in later episodes; but then , there only is a relatively small amount of episodes in British series... I'll look out for further comments... If it's anything to go by though, the IMDb rating is 9.0!

richierich

« Reply #1498 on: May 21, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »
I have watched three episodes so far now, and I must admit, that the series hasn't won me over yet.
Thanks for that initial "review", Tom.

Accoreing to Jon's reply this could be a slow burner and get better in later episodes; but then , there only is a relatively small amount of episodes in British series... I'll look out for further comments... If it's anything to go by though, the IMDb rating is 9.0!

I must say from another perspective, I tried LOM and never warmed to it either, I found the characters uninteresting, the storyline fairly unoriginal, and the actors too typecast.
If Tom gives this more of a run than I did, and gets to like it,  may have to revisit it

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 21, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »
I never seen the UK version... but I enjoyed the US version very much. Unfortunately it was canceled after the first season.  Plan on getting the DVD set for sure. Not sure now if I will pick up the UK version though.
Pete