Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 856322 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1335 on: April 09, 2009, 06:00:33 AM »
Another order came in. :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 09, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
Spent the day yesterday at the hospital with my mother. She had to have another blood transfusion.  But while out... the following arrived...

- Hulk Vs.
- ER: Season 4
- Time Tunnel: Vol. 1
- Superhero Movie
- NCIS: Season 5
- Tales from the Darkside: Season 1
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 09, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
Arrived in the Mail today...

- Blood Angels
- Creature from Black Lake
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 10, 2009, 01:33:43 AM »
I was at Walmart sooner today and I came back home with this one

And I've almost took Slumdog Millionaire too, but I've realized just before it was too late that this isn't my genre of film at all :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 10, 2009, 04:22:03 AM »
Bored this evening... I was looking around amazon and decided to buy this from a marketplace seller....

Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1340 on: April 10, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »
I was in Sam's Club - I always have to check out the DVDs there too - and ended up getting two.

Najemikon

« Reply #1341 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »
I was at Walmart sooner today and I came back home with this one

And I've almost took Slumdog Millionaire too, but I've realized just before it was too late that this isn't my genre of film at all :laugh:

Bit surprised by that comment, Jimmy. From your comments in the past, I would have thought Slumdog would have interested you. In many ways it's a throwback to Capra's movies. It's not perfect, but it's much more enjoyable than the over-rated pretentious DVD you did buy!  :tease:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1342 on: April 10, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »
The Children's Hour (£4.12 at Amazon.co.uk)
A few blind buys for my marathon. This one I came to attention again, when I recently watched "If these walls could talks 2". The women in the first story were watching this one at the cinema.
Tipping the Velvet (£4.12 at Amazon.co.uk)
Come across it through a "Amazon recommends" link. Heard about it before, but until now I never bought it. Now the price is right.
Fingersmith (£5.15 at Amazon.co.uk)
Sounded good and the price is alright.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 10, 2009, 06:35:13 PM »
Bit surprised by that comment, Jimmy. From your comments in the past, I would have thought Slumdog would have interested you.
I prefer to watch the real thing and not an not a westernized version of what is a Bollywood movie. And yes those movies are fun to watch, I really like how they start to sing and dance for any reasons. It's sure a good remedy when you have a bad day ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #1344 on: April 10, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
Bit surprised by that comment, Jimmy. From your comments in the past, I would have thought Slumdog would have interested you.
I prefer to watch the real thing and not an not a westernized version of what is a Bollywood movie. And yes those movies are fun to watch, I really like how they start to sing and dance for any reasons. It's sure a good remedy when you have a bad day ;D

Interesting.  :hmmmm:

Slumdog Millionaire isn't remotely Bollywood. It's an uplifting fantasy story set in India and that's where the similarity ends. The only concession to Bollywood tradition is an end-credits sequence of the cast dancing, but this is after the story. They just did it for a fun tribute. If it was anything like a Bollywood movie, I probably wouldn't have liked it. No reflection on Indian cinema, I just don't like the style.

In any case, the word Westernised wouldn't apply. It was a British director and our countries have very strong ties with influences and cultures overlapping. In fact there are several British movies, set in Britain, almost exclusively played by an Indian cast (eg, East is East). Slumdog is in some ways more like a high class version of one of those, but actually set in India. Also, the lead character, Jamal, works in a call centre supporting British companies (an infuriatingly common problem for us) and in one very funny scene reveals an in-depth knowledge of one of our soap operas (Eastenders), using The Radio Times (one of our more popular listings magazines) as reference!  :laugh:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #1345 on: April 11, 2009, 04:20:48 AM »

Interesting.  :hmmmm:

Slumdog Millionaire isn't remotely Bollywood. It's an uplifting fantasy story set in India and that's where the similarity ends. The only concession to Bollywood tradition is an end-credits sequence of the cast dancing, but this is after the story. They just did it for a fun tribute. If it was anything like a Bollywood movie, I probably wouldn't have liked it. No reflection on Indian cinema, I just don't like the style.

In any case, the word Westernised wouldn't apply. It was a British director and our countries have very strong ties with influences and cultures overlapping. In fact there are several British movies, set in Britain, almost exclusively played by an Indian cast (eg, East is East). Slumdog is in some ways more like a high class version of one of those, but actually set in India. Also, the lead character, Jamal, works in a call centre supporting British companies (an infuriatingly common problem for us) and in one very funny scene reveals an in-depth knowledge of one of our soap operas (Eastenders), using The Radio Times (one of our more popular listings magazines) as reference!  :laugh:

This is just about the only "review" that has tempted me to watch Slumdog.

Just need it to be really cheap now.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1346 on: April 11, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »
I've thought about watching Slumdog Millionaire.  It was only in the theater here in town for like a week when I was working 10 to 12 hours a day, so I didn't have a chance to see it then.  I'll probably try to rent it sometime.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1347 on: April 11, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
Dharma & Greg: Season Two (€23.97 at Amazon.de)
I waited for the price to drop on this one. It seems the German release is the only way to get season 2. In RC1 the first season was released three years ago and then nothing. Also it seems, that the German releases have stopped after season 2
The Bourne Ultimatum (€12.97 at Amazon.de)
Was still missing in my collection.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 11, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
Wow... again... my package from Eric came very quickly! Today in the mail I got...

Thanks again Eric!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 11, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
Now you must buy the original King Kong, Ape, King Kong 2, King Kong (1966) and Queen Kong

Why? to make a giant gorilla marathon ;D