Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 856699 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1215 on: March 11, 2009, 11:21:25 PM »
Stopped by Walmart today... Picked up...

The Reaping
Locusts swarm. Rivers turn to blood. Fire rains from the sky. Are you prepared for The Reaping? Investigative scholar Katherine Winter (two-time Academy Award® winner Hilary Swank) is a debunker of modern "miracles," bringing scientific light to superstition and fraud. But events in tiny Haven, Louisiana defy even her expertise. There, the 10 Biblical Plagues seem to be recurring. And the more she seeks answers, the more she questions her own beliefs. Katherine must uncover the truth, because the Plagues are counting down. And time is running out.

This is a complete blind buy... never even seen the trailer for it. So hopefully it don't suck too bad. Reading the back of the cover... it reminds me of the TV Series Miracles. And I enjoyed that... so hopefully I will enjoy this one too.
Pete

lovemunkey187

« Reply #1216 on: March 12, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »
Indina Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 12, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
Stopped by Walmart today... Picked up...

The Reaping

[...]

This is a complete blind buy... never even seen the trailer for it. So hopefully it don't suck too bad. Reading the back of the cover... it reminds me of the TV Series Miracles. And I enjoyed that... so hopefully I will enjoy this one too.
You are very forgiving, especially with horror, so this film still has a chance with you. I saw it in the theater and later wished I hadn't ;) Well, it's not that bad, but pretty bad, still. Even Swank can't save it :(

Sorry for the bad news, but I figured if you go in prepared then you won't be as disappointed.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 12, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
Thanks Achim...
Watched it today... you can see my thoughts in the Marathon Review Forum.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
Package from Eric arrived today! (Wow! Really fast this time!) Which contained...

- Along Came A Spider (Blind Buy)
- Awakenings
- Constantine (Blind Buy)
- The Day After (Blind Buy)
- Good Morning, Vietnam
- Flightplan
- King Kong (Blind Buy)
- The Quick and the Dead
- Star Trek: Generations
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: Season 1 Vol. 1 (Blind Buy)
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: Season 1 Vol. 2 (Blind Buy)
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: Season 2 Vol. 1 (Blind Buy)
- While You Were Sleeping (Blind Buy)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 12, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »
- King Kong (Blind Buy)
Be prepared for a very long and boring movie. I've it and I was not able to watch this trough the end, tried 3 times and had fallen asleep each time :thumbdown:

At least Jackson at not made an eight hours trilogy with this, but it sure feels like one :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 12, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »
 :laugh: Thanks for the warning Jimmy... I will be sure not to expect much going in.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1222 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
 :hysterical:

King Kong is somewhere near the bottom of my list of "Recommendations for Jimmy"! It is bloated and the CGi in places is simply awful, but Kong himself is simply awe-inspiring. It's a romantic and affectionate tribute to the original and old Hollywood. Not perfect, but a great experience. A lot hated the ice skating sequence, but I liked it and everything immediately before and after it is astonishingly good.

I reckon you'll be right in-between those two comments... ;)

Actually, Jimmy, what's your take on Lord of the Rings? Kong doesn't quite hold up to sprawling epic, but it still has a lot of the trilogy's style.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 12, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »
Maybe I've an hate relationship with King Kong? Even the 1976 remake that I've got cheap was not watched completly by me also :laugh:

For Lord of the Rings : I've watched the first two parts and I prefer the books, not that I can't understand that these movies are "masterpiece" but they aren't my cup of tea...

Najemikon

« Reply #1224 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »
Maybe I've an hate relationship with King Kong? Even the 1976 remake that I've got cheap was not watched completly by me also :laugh:

For Lord of the Rings : I've watched the first two parts and I prefer the books, not that I can't understand that these movies are "masterpiece" but they aren't my cup of tea...

The 76 version is horrendous. The new one is a much worthier update...

RossRoy

« Reply #1225 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »

The 76 version is horrendous. The new one is a much worthier update...

I much prefer the original. There's just something about stop motion animation I can't resist. (Also why I like Robot Chicken so much!)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:51:07 PM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #1226 on: March 12, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
Oh the original is peerless. The new one is very good, but not special like that one...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #1227 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: Season 1
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »
Always liked that show Karsten! I have all 4 seasons in my collection :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 13, 2009, 05:10:34 AM »
Thanks Achim...
Watched it today... you can see my thoughts in the Marathon Review Forum.
Seems I predicted the outcome quite correctly... ;D

Oh the original is peerless. The new one is very good, but not special like that one...
There has been rumors that it will be released on Blu-ray this year. This would be a film I would buy yet again on the next higher format (previously owned laserdisc and DVD already...). [the other two being Jaws and Dawn of the Dead]