Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 856775 times)

Najemikon

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1170 on: February 27, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »
I have seen all four of them once so far (my brother has a similar DVD collection). As far as I remember (it has been some years), I didn't think that 4 was that bad.

Oh no. Not this again!  :redcard: :hysterical:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #1171 on: February 28, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »
Agreed. Alien Resurrection is an underrated film.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #1172 on: February 28, 2009, 01:06:19 PM »
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (£10.33 at Amazon.co.uk)
Came across it while browsing the Blu-ray offers. I haven't seen it yet, but in general I enjoy Will Ferrell movies.
Run Fat Boy Run (£9.29 at Amazon.co.uk)
Never heard of it before. Found it while browsing the Blu-ray offers. Bought it, because it has Simon Pegg and Hank Azaria in it.
In Bruges (£5.15 at Amazon.co.uk)
I saw this one in the theaters. Great movie! Definately recommended!
Happy-Go-Lucky (£6.19 at Amazon.co.uk)
A collegue saw this in the theaters with subtitles. He said, that he wouldn't have understood anything without the subtitles because of the heavy dialect. Now I want to see if he is correct or if he just isn't accustomed to English and can only understand American movie English  :laugh:
Alfred Hitchcock: The Signature Collection (£13.64 at Amazon.co.uk)
Fodder for our Hitchcock marathon. It includes:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 06:48:40 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 01, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »
Columbo: Mystery Movie Collection: 1990 ($18.51 at DVD Pacific)
Continuing my Columbo collection. I recently had the urge to watch some Columbos, so I probably watch these soon.
Becker: Season Two ($25.08 at DVD Pacific)
I like this series. At least until the point Terry Farrell left the show.
You Can't Take It With You ($9.53 at DVD Pacific)
Ordered it after Jon's recent review.
They Live ($9.46 at DVD Pacific)
Blind buy. Sounded interesting.
Family Guy Presents: Blue Harvest ($9.47 at DVD Pacific)
I had waited buying this, as I thought it will probably be part of a regular Family Guy set, but now I found out, that this episode is exclusive to this release.
Robot Chicken: Star Wars ($9.55 at DVD Pacific)
I had waited to buy this, as I was not sure, if it is not just a collection of existing Star Wars sketches from the show. But now I found out, that these were produced just for this special.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 01, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »
I ordered some from Eric today... I am getting...

Along Came a Spider (Blind Buy)

Awakenings

Constantine (Blind Buy)

The Day After (Blind Buy)

Flightplan

Good Morning, Vietnam

King Kong (2005) (Blind Buy)

The Quick and the Dead

Star Trek: Generations

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea -- Season 1 Vol. 1 -- Season 1 Vol. 2 -- Season 2 Vol. 1 (Blind Buy)

While You Were Sleeping (Blind Buy)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 02, 2009, 04:17:22 AM »

They Live ($9.46 at DVD Pacific)
Blind buy. Sounded interesting.
Not of my business but... Why you haven't bought the region 2 release that is much better than this one? The region 2 dvd had a good commentary track with John Carpenter and Rowdy Pipper and a making off feature too.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 02, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »
Not of my business but... Why you haven't bought the region 2 release that is much better than this one? The region 2 dvd had a good commentary track with John Carpenter and Rowdy Pipper and a making off feature too.

Probably I am not accustomed yet, that it is now really cheap to buy in the UK ;)
Or maybe I did check and at the time the price was higher or maybe it was during the time, amazon.co.uk refused to send titles rated 18 to Germany.
I won't miss the extras, but as the UK version has just recently been released, it probably has better picture :(
Regarding the extras:
I have over 250 unwatched commentaries, so I wouldn't listen to it anyway. And I am sad to say, that watching Making Ofs have become more of a chore than fun. I have watched so many DVD bonus contents, that there is hardly anything new and interesting in those Making Ofs anymore :(

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 02, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »
I have over 250 unwatched commentaries, so I wouldn't listen to it anyway. And I am sad to say, that watching Making Ofs have become more of a chore than fun. I have watched so many DVD bonus contents, that there is hardly anything new and interesting in those Making Ofs anymore :(
I have the same experience. I used to listen to each and every commentary, usually within a few days of watching the film itself. But now I'd rather watch the next film than listen to the Director or some other dude walking me through the movie (it is unfortunately really rare that you get a commentary that is worth to listen to, like Rodriguez usually does, or actually john Carpenter). As for the features, I carte less these days to see how they did this stunt or that CGI shot for4 the 1000th time. Been there, seen that. Deleted Scenes get still watched quite regularly.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 02, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
I never really been huge on commentary tracks. Though I do watch them when it is with someone I am familiar with. Most of the time with the cast. I also tend to watch them more with TV Series then movies. I especially liked the ones on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Especially ones with Joss Whedon.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #1179 on: March 02, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »
Can anyone recommend a really amusing or interesting commentary track? I've only ever heard a couple over the years that have been worthwhile sitting through.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #1180 on: March 02, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
Can anyone recommend a really amusing or interesting commentary track? I've only ever heard a couple over the years that have been worthwhile sitting through.

Apparently any commentary track from the View Askew guys is usually top notch.

I can't verify this as I have yet to watch an entire film with commentary track. I hate people chatting whilst I'm trying to watch a film.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »

Kevin Smith's commentary are usually rather fun, if you like it, when a bunch of the cast and crew get together and have fun watching the movie. I always enjoyed cast commentary tracks more than that of the crew. It has been a while, that I last watched a commentary track, so I don't remember really the good ones, but I can recommend this site. This helps to decide, if a commentary track is worth to spend your time on.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 02, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »
I just remember some really bad commentaries.
One which always comes to mind when talking about bad commentaries, is Roland Emmerich's commentary for "The Patriot". The citation here is how he talks throughout the complete movie.

There also some commentaries, where they are telling what is happening on the screen, instead talking about inside trivia. The worst of its kind that I remember watching, is Mel Brooks on Spaceballs.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 02, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
I just remembered, that we had this topic before. Karsten, feel free to move our discussion there.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #1184 on: March 02, 2009, 04:39:48 PM »
I just remembered, that we had this topic before. Karsten, feel free to move our discussion there.
I can only split but as far as I can tell not combine.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools