Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857006 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #1110 on: February 14, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
NHK ni Youkoso!: Collection Part One ($34.19 at DVD Pacific)
I know the manga and I think the material is better suited for an anime. I am curious how they did it. I think delusions of the main character have the potential to be more fun in an animated way.
NHK ni Youkoso!: Collection Part Two ($34.19 at DVD Pacific)
Finishing off the anime.
Cheers: Season Eleven ($27.36 at DVD Pacific)
Another series completed :)
Little Britain USA ($22.21 at DVD Pacific)
I am curious how a British show transfers to being for the American audience.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »

Great series! I really should watch it again!

I am kinda hoping that I may see my package from Eric tomorrow so that I can watch 28 Days Later for my marathon this weekend. but not counting on it... I'm not that lucky!  :P

To be honest with you Pete I don't know what's the status on yours, I prepared it online last Sunday, dropped it in a mailbox monday and the status still only shows "An order has been electroniccally submitted".  I think it went straight to customs and once it's in the hands of USPS it's not longer tracked by Canada Posts.

Thanks for the update Eric. I have found that most post offices do not scan in the package as it gets to them. Which is unfortunate when you have a tracking number to watch it's travels (which can be very confusing at times!)... but I did find that the main USPS page can show the message you talked about... but yet at times still get more info on another tracking page I use... packagemapping.com.

I am kinda hoping that I may see my package from Eric tomorrow so that I can watch 28 Days Later for my marathon this weekend. but not counting on it... I'm not that lucky!  :P
:redcard:
Your current marathon is themed around zombies and 28 Days Later... is NOT a Zombie film! So, to avoid heated discussion I hope the package won't arrive :P

Thanks Achim... I only seen part of it before... and it has been a very long time. But I could have sworn a friend of mine said it was a zombie movie... so what kind of movie is it really?
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1112 on: February 14, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »
 ???

28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later are zombie films. I know what Achim means; the "Infected" are not dead, they are suffering from the Rage virus. However, zombies by definition are not necessarily dead anyway.

In Val Lewton's I Walked With A Zombie (review online, in a thread near you! 8)), there are no reanimated corpses. There are two full-on bona fide zombies, but they are in such a state through voodoo. So there.  :tease:

Zombification is a state of mind as much as physical. Pete, you can watch those movies as part of your marathon with no issue whatsoever. :training:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:23:59 PM by Jon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 14, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
Thanks Jon.... I will have to watch it for myself and see what I think it is I guess.  It all depends on the definition of Zombie I guess... which according to Webster shows 3 or 4 definitions (depending if you want to include the drink)  :cheers:

I personally always preferred the risen dead flesh eating type... but that don't make the other type any less Zombies. From what I am hearing here I am guessing this is a mixture of the 2 types? will-less living people... but has a virus that makes them like that and eat flesh?
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1114 on: February 14, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
That's it. In the same sense that the vampires in I Am Legend are not traditional vampires, but are infected with a virus. So too the people in the 28 films.

Another way of looking at it is that even if you don't agree on the definition of zombie, you certainly will on plot. 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, I Am Legend may all have different creatures, but all have the same "end of the world" premise. Night of the Living Dead is simply an interpretation of the original book of I Am Legend. Humanity is dying, being replaced by something else that may or may not evolve and survive on its own; that's the driving message. It's not how, but why... :headscratch:

:burninacid:

Najemikon

« Reply #1115 on: February 14, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »
Little Britain USA ($22.21 at DVD Pacific)
I am curious how a British show transfers to being for the American audience.

I actually preferred it to the original. It isn't just a case of shipping the characters over. It's definitely about America... :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 14, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
That's it. In the same sense that the vampires in I Am Legend are not traditional vampires, but are infected with a virus. So too the people in the 28 films.

Another way of looking at it is that even if you don't agree on the definition of zombie, you certainly will on plot. 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, I Am Legend may all have different creatures, but all have the same "end of the world" premise. Night of the Living Dead is simply an interpretation of the original book of I Am Legend. Humanity is dying, being replaced by something else that may or may not evolve and survive on its own; that's the driving message. It's not how, but why... :headscratch:

:burninacid:

Oh well... don't matter... didn't come today anyway.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »
Receive a package from Eric today (in fact it was yesterday, but not available untill today)

Thanks again Eric  :thumbup:

Great series! I really should watch it again!

I bought this series a while ago and haven't seen it yet. If you do the marathon I will join in, it might be the only way for me to actually see it!

I bought some DVDs from Eric and it took about 3 weeks to get it (I got it yesterday!  :yahoo:). The box was huge though so a smaller box might take less time.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 15, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »
Thanks Kathy... That means I have time before I start to worry.  :thumbup: I figure it should be here by the end of the month at the latest.

A Wonderfalls marathon still sounds good to me.... if we have enough interest I am ready to start it any time you all are.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 15, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »
A Wonderfalls marathon still sounds good to me.... if we have enough interest I am ready to start it any time you all are.  :thumbup:

I am also very interested in doing it soon. But currently my region-free DVD player is acting up and doesn't want to play any disc anymore. So I am currently bound to my blu-ray player which only plays R2 DVDs :(

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 15, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
That really sucks!  :(
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #1121 on: February 16, 2009, 01:36:20 AM »

I am also very interested in doing it soon. But currently my region-free DVD player is acting up and doesn't want to play any disc anymore. So I am currently bound to my blu-ray player which only plays R2 DVDs :(

Have you got a DVD writer in your PC? You could copy the discs and remove the coding. I would never advocate copying discs, but in your case it would be for your own use.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »
It all depends on the definition of Zombie I guess... which according to Webster shows 3 or 4 definitions (depending if you want to include the drink)  :cheers:
Well there you go...

While mainly kidding about thew affair, I guess the way I define zombies has become clear :P (When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.)

John has a point though. "Real-life zombies", as found within the traditions of voodoo, are indeed not dead people, neither infected, they are people whose bodily functions had been reduced so strongly that even doctor's will announce them dead. ´When the "medicine" wears off, or a counter toxin is used, they can be "re-animated". Obviously, reducing body functions for too long can cause brain damage, whcih I believe is where the image of the "stupid zombie" comes from. All this is explained in "The Serpent and the Rainbow". :whistle:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 16, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
Familie Heinz Becker: Staffel 5 (€15 at Amazon.de)
Another two seasons of a great German comedy series.
Familie Heinz Becker: Staffel 6 (€15 at Amazon.de)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 16, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
Have you got a DVD writer in your PC? You could copy the discs and remove the coding. I would never advocate copying discs, but in your case it would be for your own use.

I got a DVD writer, but for one thing, I do not want to spent effort to copy a DVD which I already own, just to be able to watch it. For another thing, my DVD drive in my notebook is very particular and doesn't want to read a lot of my DVDs. As far as I remember, Wonderfalls was among those DVDs.