Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857405 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #900 on: December 05, 2008, 12:26:10 AM »
Oh they had a couple DOZEN  titles I wanted to get! But most of them were on wishlists I gave to people for Christmas gifts. So they would have killed me if I got any of them anyway!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #901 on: December 05, 2008, 02:43:42 AM »
I understand that.  My mother tells me the same thing every year.  :)  Though sometimes I will leave a title or two off that I know I'll get myself and can't wait for..Like The Dark Knight this year.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #902 on: December 06, 2008, 01:27:09 AM »
Now I can be proud of myself.  I was in Walmart doing some shopping.  Few gifts and a few other grocery type things. 

Anyway, I went by the books..saw like..4 I want..I even had 2 in hand and almost in the cart..but I put them back.  Then I did look at the DVDs - I was looking for one of the few titles I know my mom wants that they had before..couldn't find it, but I did see several others I was interested in.  I resisted temptation.  For now anyway. lol.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 06, 2008, 01:39:06 AM »
Way to go!  :thumbup: We shouldn't be buying for ourselves during the holidays!  :)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #904 on: December 06, 2008, 03:09:09 AM »
Oh I know..unless it's something like shampoo or toothpaste.  :) 

RossRoy

« Reply #905 on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:11 AM »
Way to go!  :thumbup: We shouldn't be buying for ourselves during the holidays!  :)

It's actually a family rule here (which I've broken already this year! hahaha)

But, namely, no one is to buy anything that is not a necessary commodity between Nov.15 and Dec.25.

And if I'm any indication, it's been already broken numerous time! hahaha

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 06, 2008, 12:05:08 PM »
 :laugh: Yeah is a basic rule around here too. I actually think this is the first year that I haven't broke it though!  :bag: :laugh:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #907 on: December 07, 2008, 01:18:44 AM »
You're doing good. :)

I've sort of broke it since I pre-ordered The Dark Knight...but I did that a while ago...like early November.

I've been trying to figure out some other westerns to get for my mom..she hasn't really said any specific ones she wants, but she wants more westerns..that aren't in black and white.  lol  She also doesn't want the ones that Eastwood made - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly etc.  She has a lot of John Wayne ones.  I'll have to make a list of what she does has because otherwise I'll go and get her duplicates like I did for my stepdad and the Star Trek movies.   :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 07, 2008, 01:44:50 AM »
I am not a big westerns person... but one of my favorites is Rio Bravo It is in color.... It stars John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.

Definitely one of the best of the (very few) Westerns I have seen!  :thumbup:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #909 on: December 07, 2008, 01:48:36 AM »
Westerns? You are most definitely in the right place. I love Westerns! What do you mean, you didn't ask? Too late!  :cheers:

Right, so she doesn't want Eastwood, in particular the Dollars movies, which means she probably isn't a fan of the gritty Spaghetti western, or its derivatives. Eastwood did move away from those with The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, even Unforgiven, but they are still dark and powerful. By that thinking, also avoid Sam Peckinpah's (The Wild Bunch). If she prefers John Wayne then she obviously likes her cowboys to be better defined as heroes or villains, not anti-heroes.

John Wayne worked with two directors in particular: John Ford and Howard Hawks. Any Westerns by either of these are a winner, but top of the list has to be Rio Bravo as Pete said. But she must have seen that. El Dorado and Rio Lobo are both similar (all Hawks). Pete, you would probably enjoy those too.

Ford also worked with James Stewart along with Wayne, at their best in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. B&W though, but highly recommended. They worked together again (though directed by Don Siegel, not Ford) in Wayne's final film, The Shootist. Very poignant. Before that film, John Wayne's career was less about the director and more about him, the star. Key films are The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit and McClintock (which I think contains one of the best and funniest fight scenes ever!).

Stewart did a whole run of Westerns with Anthony Mann, Winchester 73 probably being the best. Again, B&W, but really any of Stewart's colour Westerns are well worth having, apart from Bandelero, which is just a bit... odd. I have a James Stewart Western's boxset which is wonderful. Region 2, but I bet there is a US equivalant. Honestly, anyone who likes John Wayne westerns should enjoy Stewarts too. Straight forward and dependable plots.

Kevin Costner has made some wonderful modern Westerns. Dances With Wolves is my favourite film of any genre, though it isn't the same vein of what I've been talking about here. He does more traditional style in Silverado and Open Range. Both fantastic. Wyatt Earp is very good too, though weighty.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #910 on: December 07, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »
Westerns? You are most definitely in the right place. I love Westerns! What do you mean, you didn't ask? Too late!  :cheers:

Right, so she doesn't want Eastwood, in particular the Dollars movies, which means she probably isn't a fan of the gritty Spaghetti western, or its derivatives. Eastwood did move away from those with The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, even Unforgiven, but they are still dark and powerful. By that thinking, also avoid Sam Peckinpah's (The Wild Bunch). If she prefers John Wayne then she obviously likes her cowboys to be better defined as heroes or villains, not anti-heroes.

John Wayne worked with two directors in particular: John Ford and Howard Hawks. Any Westerns by either of these are a winner, but top of the list has to be Rio Bravo as Pete said. But she must have seen that. El Dorado and Rio Lobo are both similar (all Hawks). Pete, you would probably enjoy those too.

Ford also worked with James Stewart along with Wayne, at their best in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. B&W though, but highly recommended. They worked together again (though directed by Don Siegel, not Ford) in Wayne's final film, The Shootist. Very poignant. Before that film, John Wayne's career was less about the director and more about him, the star. Key films are The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit and McClintock (which I think contains one of the best and funniest fight scenes ever!).

Stewart did a whole run of Westerns with Anthony Mann, Winchester 73 probably being the best. Again, B&W, but really any of Stewart's colour Westerns are well worth having, apart from Bandelero, which is just a bit... odd. I have a James Stewart Western's boxset which is wonderful. Region 2, but I bet there is a US equivalant. Honestly, anyone who likes John Wayne westerns should enjoy Stewarts too. Straight forward and dependable plots.

Kevin Costner has made some wonderful modern Westerns. Dances With Wolves is my favourite film of any genre, though it isn't the same vein of what I've been talking about here. He does more traditional style in Silverado and Open Range. Both fantastic. Wyatt Earp is very good too, though weighty.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

I think she liked Unforgiven..but I'm not sure if she actually wants it.  Same goes for Dances With Wolves.  She has Open Range.  She didn't care for The Outlaw Josey Wales or Hang Em High either.  I'm not sure about Pale Rider. 

She's got Rio Bravo, El Drorado, and Rio Lobo.  I thought she had The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  It might be in a Jimmy Stewart box set she got.  I don't know if she's ever seen Silverado.  She might already have Wyatt Earp.  No..wait..that was Tombstone. 

She did mention wanting McClintock so I need to look for that one.  She said before she didn't want The Shootist.  She does have The Sons of Katie Elder..True Grit..Rooter Cogburn...The Cowboys.  I got her a few of those last year.  I did just her a DVD for her birthday that had The Cheyenne Social Club and another western on it.  I can't remember what the other one was, but she liked both of those.  She's liked some of the funnier westerns too.  Like Support Your Local Sheriff..or Gunfighter.  I got her one of those last year too. 

There's one she and my step dad have watched a lot that had Clark Gable in it...umm....what is it..ahh.. The Tall Men. 

She did say that the new version of 3:20 to Yuma would be ok even though she didn't like the ending.  If Appaloosa was out I'd get her that..she liked that one.  I went with her to see it and I liked it too.

You did give me some ideas.  Thanks. :)  I just need to double check some of the ones she has like I said..and find out if she would like some of the others.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #911 on: December 07, 2008, 03:41:38 AM »
I am not a big westerns person... but one of my favorites is Rio Bravo It is in color.... It stars John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.

Definitely one of the best of the (very few) Westerns I have seen!  :thumbup:

I think it is one of her favorites too. :)  She has that one.  I've seen it too...been a long time, but I think I liked it.  I got kind of burned out on it when it was played over and over and over on some station - I'm thinking AMC - several years ago. 

Najemikon

« Reply #912 on: December 07, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »
I forgot Big Jake! That's one of my favourites because it also has his son and Robert Mitchum's son in it and they have a great scrap. Sounds like she's probably seen it though.

It isn't a true Western as such, but has she ever seen Bite the Bullet (1975)? It's great, and seems to appeal to fans of those good natured style films we've been talking about. It stars Gene Hackman and James Coburn amongst others and is about a 700-mile horse race. In some ways it isn't unlike the format of car race movies like Cannonball! and Cannonball Run, except they're on horses.

Hang on. James Coburn! :slaphead: We haven't mentioned The Magnificent Seven, but I would assume there's no need? ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #913 on: December 08, 2008, 03:26:46 AM »
I forgot Big Jake! That's one of my favourites because it also has his son and Robert Mitchum's son in it and they have a great scrap. Sounds like she's probably seen it though.

It isn't a true Western as such, but has she ever seen Bite the Bullet (1975)? It's great, and seems to appeal to fans of those good natured style films we've been talking about. It stars Gene Hackman and James Coburn amongst others and is about a 700-mile horse race. In some ways it isn't unlike the format of car race movies like Cannonball! and Cannonball Run, except they're on horses.

Hang on. James Coburn! :slaphead: We haven't mentioned The Magnificent Seven, but I would assume there's no need? ;)

I think she has Big Jake too.  She might have Bite the Bullet too.  Like I said, I have to check and see which ones she has for sure.  I asked her about The Magnificent Seven before and she said she didn't want that one.

I did ask about a few today..She said Unforgiven and Pale Rider would be ok.  Maybe Wyatt Earp..she couldn't remember if she has it already though. lol  My stepdad said that Silverado would be good.  So I have more ideas now.  I tried looking in the one store around here that has some - basically a music store with some DVDs.  Couldn't find what I was looking for.  So I'll just order from Amazon.  I did the new 3:10 to Yuma there, but I can get it cheaper from Amazon.

Thanks again for the suggestions. They really did help give me more ideas. :)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #914 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »
:redcard: Hang on one gosh darned cotton pickin' minute

Y'all are talkin' about westerns and you have mentioned (In my not so humble opinion) the greatest western ever - The Searchers.
Hell it's one of the greatest filums period.

Another  :thumbup: for Silverado.
How about - Once Upon A Time In The West (fantastic opening scene http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZpO6aNLwE plus )
Shanghai Noon
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon