Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857795 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #675 on: September 03, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Complete blind buy... but this one I do remember my good friend Roger telling me about. And it has a young Jodie Foster in it... which I am a fan of her's. So I am pretty excited about checking this one out.

I remember waiting forever for this release. Foster is mesmerizing here - forget Taxi Driver (which was made in the same year and got her her first Oscar nomination).
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 03, 2008, 02:01:56 PM »
Very Cool... Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like it could be an awesome movie. This will be one of the ones that it will be hard to wait till October to watch.  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 03, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

Embrace of the Vampire
In the tradition of 'Poison Ivy', Alyssa Milano, ('Charmed', 'Poison Ivy 2: Lily') plays Charlotte, a sensuous but innocent college freshman who is being seduced by an obsessive lover. A lover, (Martin Kemp, 'The Krays') who comes to her only in dreams - a dark, handsome vampire who touches her in forbidden places and will stop at nothing to arouse her passion.

As she is drawn deeper and deeper into the vampire's erotic world of carnal pleasure, Charlotte is forced to make a choice between her college boyfriend and her nighttime lover, between sweet romance and uncontrollable lust, between the forces of light and the power of darkness, between true love...and eternal possession.

Charlotte Lewis ('Excessive Force') and Jennifer Tilly (OscarĀ® Nomination, Best Supporting Actress - 'Bullets Over Broadway', 'Bound') co-star in this sexy tale.

I don't remember ever seeing this movie before. So it is  blind buy. But it has 2 things going for it in my eyes. First it is a vampire movie... and I love vampire movies! Then is the fact that Alyssa Milano (Charmed) is in it. So I am looking forward to checking it out.
I have this one and I will tell you one thing : if you want to see Alyssa Milano you will be happy, since there are a lot of her to be seen there. But except for the fact that you'll see miss Milano naked a lot this film is really poor. When your vampire is the lead singer of Spandau Ballet something is wrong. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 03, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Thanks for the warning Jimmy... I will not expect much of anything from it. Other then of course the obvious plus you pointed out!  :drooling: :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 03, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
I was trying this morning to find a movie (Postal) since I can't find it on Amazon (something that I find weird). After a visit at all the store that sells dvd here no luck finding it  :shrug:

But since I was not too far away from Walmart I've decided to go check what they have. No way that I was thinking of finding this movie there and it was the case, but since I was there I've decided to buy something anyway  ;D

Nothing obscure or weird, sometimes I watch the same movie than everyone  :laugh:

For the price (14$) it was hard to resist.

Maybe I will like it even if it's a recent movie, everyone here seem to like it.

Edit : Weird the statue of liberty is on the cover of my last watch and buy movies  :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:41:42 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 04, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »
I just ordered 3 more cheap horror movies preparing for my horror marathon... I ordered...

Shadow Zone: The Undead Express
Out of the darkness, the Grim Reaper appears in a graveyard among headstones and gargoyles. Elegantly cloaked, but masked by shadows, his eyes burn yellow as he tells us we all have a little evil inside us. Take Zach Kincaid...

A lonely and intense 14-year-old horror movie junkie, Zach (Chauncey Leopardi) is a good kid but a little confused as a result of his parents' recent break-up. Perhaps for this reason, he often tends to stretch the truth. His friends, J.T. Heffernan, a computer geek, and Gabrielle "Gabe" Lattanzi, a lovely, intelligent athlete, humor Zach, but know just how much to believe.

On the way home one weekend, Zach becomes lost on a deserted subway platform. When he stops for directions he is attacked by rescued in the nick of time by Valentine (Ron Silver), a self-styled vegetarian vampire from the turn of the century. Finding cold comfort in Valentine's assurance of protection, Zach runs for the first available train. Unfortunately, he steps onto the Undead Express, which is full of vampires who are not, apparently, vegetarian...

This movie sounds so familiar... it sounds like a movie that I really enjoyed every minute of when I was a young kid. I really am hoping this is the movie I think it is as I have not seen it since and would love to see it again!

Skeleton Man
In the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest, four top soldiers in the Army Special Forces disappear on a routine training mission. 'Michael Rooker' and 'Casper Van Dien' lead a crew of eight top-notch soldiers to track down the inexplicable demise of their comrades.

Though the soldiers have no idea what they are looking for, their search leads them to an old, blind Indian who tells them the tale of Cotton Mouth Joe -- the bravest and most ferocious warrior in an Indian tribe that, four hundred years previously, slaughtered his entire tribe in a fit of rage. Only one young girl was spared -- the Morningstar. According to legend, she alone has the power to send Cotton Mouth to his mortal grave.

The soldiers believe the old Indian is crazy and that the story is nothing more than a myth...until the terrifying spirit of Cotton Mouth ominously materializes upon a black stallion, wielding a lethal spear. 'The Skeleton Man' has returned from the depths of hell to rain death and destruction upon any mortal who dares cross his path...this time it is the soldiers who are locked dead in his sights.

A Complete blind buy... but is cheap so taking a chance on it.

The Willies
"The Willies" stars 'Sean Astin' ("The Lord of the Rings") and 'James Karen' ("Mulholland Drive").

A harmless backyard camp out becomes an unforgettable night of chills and thrills for three young boys as they share their favorite scary stories.

They each take turns at giving each other "The Willies." The stories come to life, each more horrific than the last. The poodle in the microwave, a tasty fried rat, and a haunted house that really can "scare you to death." But the next two stories really happened...

All the fifth grade bullies loved to pick on Danny Hollister. No one believed Danny when he discovered a monster in the school bathroom---until the bullies began to disappear, one by one.

Mean 'ol Gordy Belcher was a creepy fat kid whose only friends were bugs. His problems magnified (literally!), but what can you do when you're attacked by a bug bigger than you are?

When it seemed the camp out couldn't get any more terrifying, our boys discovered just how true scary stories can be. Tonight, they'll definitely get "The Willies."

Another complete blind buy... but is cheap (just like the other 2) and I do like Anthology horrors so taking a chance.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »
I just ordered 3 more cheap horror movies preparing for my horror marathon... I ordered...

Shadow Zone: The Undead Express

This movie sounds so familiar... it sounds like a movie that I really enjoyed every minute of when I was a young kid. I really am hoping this is the movie I think it is as I have not seen it since and would love to see it again!

OK... this is flipping me out! This is the movie I was hoping it would be.... and I know I remember watching it when I was young... but apparently not! It was made in 1996! a year after Britt was born so I had to be between 26 and 27. but I swear that seems wrong!  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
I don't remember ever seeing this movie before. So it is  blind buy. But it has 2 things going for it in my eyes. First it is a vampire movie... and I love vampire movies! Then is the fact that Alyssa Milano (Charmed) is in it. So I am looking forward to checking it out.[/i][/b]
I have this one and I will tell you one thing : if you want to see Alyssa Milano you will be happy, since there are a lot of her to be seen there. But except for the fact that you'll see miss Milano naked a lot this film is really poor. When your vampire is the lead singer of Spandau Ballet something is wrong. 

Martin Kemp was not the lead singer of Spandau Ballet. That was Tony Hadley... "GOLD!"  :laugh: 

He was certainly an integral part of the group, along with his brother, but actually, he seems to have found more respect as an actor (especially since his days in Eastenders). Although I've never liked him (smarmy git...), in the right role he is pretty good, especially TV dramas. I can't imagine him as a vampire though. That seems ridiculous. Does he speak? His accent would really grate, unless he's trying to sound American and I bet that's worse!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »
Martin Kemp was not the lead singer of Spandau Ballet. That was Tony Hadley... "GOLD!"  :laugh: 
:-[ but I don't know if it's most embarassing that actually have like the band  :laugh:

I can't imagine him as a vampire though. That seems ridiculous. Does he speak? His accent would really grate, unless he's trying to sound American and I bet that's worse!
He certainly talk, but I can't remember how he was, I didn't buy that for him or because it's a vampire movie  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 04, 2008, 05:04:02 PM »
 :laugh: I initially bought it because it is a vampire movie... but don't sound like it will end up being the reason I keep it!  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #685 on: September 04, 2008, 08:54:26 PM »
:-[ but I don't know if it's most embarassing that actually have like the band  :laugh:

Hmmm... there seems to be an insinuation there that I like Spandau Ballet! No. No. And... no. Just, no.  :P  But growing up in 80s Britain, there was no avoiding them or any of the other bollocks that passed for so-called music in that period. In fact, we should have known the Kemps would be actors, because they were quite good at pretending to be musicians... :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 05, 2008, 07:43:21 PM »
I just placed what has to be my final order for this month! I only had about $5 left from this month's DVD Budget... and this movie is $3.99 at Amazon.com Plus I signed up for a month free trial of Amazon Prime so shipping is free as well.

Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #687 on: September 06, 2008, 12:44:17 AM »
  • Ranma 1/2: Season One ($31.02 at DVD Pacific)

First season of a rather fun series (though I only have seen a handful of episodes so far)
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger: Comedy Favorites Collection ($8.96 at DVD Pacific)

Finally a widescreen transfer of Twins and Kindergarten Cop. I could have done without Junior, but 3 bucks for three movies is not bad.
  • Highlander: The Source ($12.75 at DVD Pacific)

I only have read very bad reviews about this movie so far. Seems they forgot to use Adrian Paul's sword fighting skills in this one. Let's see how bad it really is.
  • To Heart: Complete Collection ($22.57 at DVD Pacific)

Complete blind buy.
  • Queen of the Damned ($6.93 at DVD Pacific)

Haven't seen this one yet. I don't expect much from it as it usually gets bad reviews. But I saw I review recently which convinced me to give this movie a chance.
  • Rumbling Hearts: The Complete Series ($17.08 at DVD Pacific)

Blind buy.
  • Heroes: Season Two ($27.09 at DVD Pacific)

Another season of Heroes. I hope it will not disappoint me too much after that great first season.
  • The Office: Season Four ($33.86 at DVD Pacific)

Another season of a great series.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 06, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »

The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition
R1-US, Universal (Sep 09, 2008)

Never seen it (not sure if I should admit that).

Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season
R1-US, Warner (Sep 16, 2008)

Created by Bryan Fuller (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls). That's the only one of last year's US network shows, I'm really looking forward to with high expectations. And it's already shipped. Yay!

Snow Angels
R1-US, Warner (Sep 16, 2008)

David Gordon Green's (whose All the Real Girls is in my Top Ten list) new film. Well, new on DVD anyway.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The Complete First Season
R1-US, Warner (Aug 19, 2008)

Glau + nice price.

Wonderland
R1-US, Universal (2001)

IMHO Michael Winterbottom's best movie and I just recently noticed that I didn't have it.

Wristcutters: A Love Story
R1-US, Lionsgate (Mar 03, 2008)

We witness the birth of a new genre, the Post-Slasher Movie. (Roger Ebert)

Matthias

lovemunkey187

« Reply #689 on: September 06, 2008, 05:29:56 AM »

The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition
R1-US, Universal (Sep 09, 2008)

Never seen it (not sure if I should admit that).
Watch this one first