Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857792 times)

Touti

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #660 on: August 23, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
Picked in the bins at future shop today, 5.00$ each.  Only one I've seen is Terminator.

Touti

« Reply #661 on: August 24, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »
From Future Shop - A HarmonyOne remote control  :clap:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #662 on: August 26, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
From Future Shop - A HarmonyOne remote control  :clap:

I've got the Harmony 885, which is a nifty bit of kit, but apparently the One is even better.  When funds allow and the price drops a little, then I might take the plunge.

Arrived today R1Can - Serenity(the one with the postcard and reflective cover)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:30:20 AM by lovemunkey187 »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #663 on: August 28, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »
Gokusen I ($28.2 at HKFlix)

One of the most fun series I watched recently. Short review will follow soon.

lyonsden5

« Reply #664 on: August 29, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »
OK - I never really post in this thread but this time I felt the urge to share my happiness :bag:

Today I bought:

And then bought this:

I'm usually not a sucker for the special stuff but the Nightmare one I found really cool. The ape head I've wanted for a while and now had an excuse to get it. Had to keep the shelf balanced after all  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:42 AM »
They both look really cool Rick!  :thumbup:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #666 on: August 29, 2008, 02:20:36 AM »
OK - I never really post in this thread

Why not? We mostly all share our purchase habit, and I can't begin to count the number of time I saw someone bought a DVD I was interesting in, that I wasn't even aware was out!  ;D

Touti

« Reply #667 on: August 29, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
Rick, did you get the certificate with your "Planet of the Apes" set ?  Are they still selling it as a limited edition ?  Doesn't seem so limited to me if it's still on the market.

lyonsden5

« Reply #668 on: August 29, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
Why not? We mostly all share our purchase habit, and I can't begin to count the number of time I saw someone bought a DVD I was interesting in, that I wasn't even aware was out!  ;D

You're right. My bad. :bag:

I'm in  :thundergod:

Rick, did you get the certificate with your "Planet of the Apes" set ?  Are they still selling it as a limited edition ?  Doesn't seem so limited to me if it's still on the market.
I'll let you know when it arrives if the certificate is included.

lyonsden5

« Reply #669 on: August 30, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »

#7119  out of 10000  :yu: 

I bought it from a seller on ebay. I was a bit nervous about that but I can happily say it was brand spankin new and had not been opened.  :phew:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 30, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »
A surprise gift from MadAcid (thanks again :) ):
Malá morská víla

A Czech fairy tale movie. More faithful telling of Hans Christian Andersen's "Little Mermaid" than the Disney movie.

The following I have bought at Invelos' Trading Post for 2 euros (~3 dollars) each. All total blind buys:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 31, 2008, 06:26:29 PM »
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Season One ($21.99 at DVD Pacific)

This moves to the top of my unwatched pile!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 31, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Tom!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #673 on: August 31, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »
I am back from the Netherlands and although I didn't bought anything there, some ordered items arrived in the meantime:

From these I only know Death Proof which I've seen in the theatre. Since I liked Death Proof (though not as much as other Tarantino movies) I also took Planet Terror which is said to be better than Death Proof (I know that PT is by Rodriguez).

Stargate was a buy the moment they announced it.

Terminator was so cheap ($18.99) that I thought I gave it a try even though I haven't seen a single episode yet.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2008, 07:42:32 AM »
OK... I have now placed my monthly order. This month I concentrated mostly on horror related releases because I am preparing for my Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon. And I was able to get even more then I thought I would be able to thanks to a 3 for $10 sale I stumbled upon. So this month I ordered...

Embrace of the Vampire
In the tradition of 'Poison Ivy', Alyssa Milano, ('Charmed', 'Poison Ivy 2: Lily') plays Charlotte, a sensuous but innocent college freshman who is being seduced by an obsessive lover. A lover, (Martin Kemp, 'The Krays') who comes to her only in dreams - a dark, handsome vampire who touches her in forbidden places and will stop at nothing to arouse her passion.

As she is drawn deeper and deeper into the vampire's erotic world of carnal pleasure, Charlotte is forced to make a choice between her college boyfriend and her nighttime lover, between sweet romance and uncontrollable lust, between the forces of light and the power of darkness, between true love...and eternal possession.

Charlotte Lewis ('Excessive Force') and Jennifer Tilly (Oscar® Nomination, Best Supporting Actress - 'Bullets Over Broadway', 'Bound') co-star in this sexy tale.

I don't remember ever seeing this movie before. So it is  blind buy. But it has 2 things going for it in my eyes. First it is a vampire movie... and I love vampire movies! Then is the fact that Alyssa Milano (Charmed) is in it. So I am looking forward to checking it out.

Psycho II/Psycho III/Psycho IV: The Beginning (Triple Feature)
PSYCHO II
After years of treatment at a mental institution for the criminally insane, Norman Bates ('Anthony Perkins') still can't quite elude the demands of "Mother." 'Vera Miles' also returns as the inquisitive woman who is haunted by her sister's brutal murder and the ominous motel where it all occurred.

'Meg Tilly' and 'Dennis Franz' co-star in this terrifying sequel to tone of the most suspenseful films of all time.

PSYCHO III
'Anthony Perkins' stars in and directs the most shocking 'Psycho' film of all: 'Psycho III'.

After years in prison, Norman Bates returns home to the Bates Motel. When a pretty young woman ('Diana Scarwid') runs to the motel - and Norman's open arms - to escape a scandalous secret, he finally gets a chance at a new life. But he has one murderous skeleton in his closet that will do anything to keep from sharing him. It's a new day at the Bates Motel, but the nightmares are just beginning...

PSYCHO IV: THE BEGINNING
In this chilling prequel to the classic Hitchcock thriller, Norman Bates ('Anthony Perkins') is drawn to a late night radio show, where the host ('C.C.H. Pounder') encourages him to share his views on the topic of matricide - the murder of a mother by her own child. Reliving his childhood, Norman recounts his trials as a young boy ('Henry Thomas') living with his widowed schizophrenic mother ('Olivia Hussey'). These haunting memories are more than just images of the past; they threaten to rekindle his killing urge in this spine-chilling thriller.

All 3 (I believe there was only 3) sequels to Psycho in 1 Triple Feature DVD. I am pretty sure I seen most... if not all... the sequels to Psycho before... but even if I have it has been so many years I don't remember them.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Season 3
Doesn't every girl secretly wish she had magical powers? 'Sabrina, the Teenage Witch'® stars 'Melissa Joan Hart' as the adorable teen who this season finally gets her witch's license. But there's a catch! Before she can use it she must uncover a family secret, with help from her wacky Aunt Hilda ('Caroline Rhea'), wise Aunt Zelda ('Beth Broderick'), and her talking cat Salem (voiced by 'Nick Bakay'). And while they may advise her to keep her magic hidden, at school Sabrina still helps cute steady Harvey ('Nate Richert') and best friend Valerie ('Lindsay Sloane'), while protecting herself against rival Libby ('Jenna Leigh Green') and mean Mr. Kraft ('Martin Mull'). Season 3 highlights include an outrageous Halloween episode, and a finale set in Hawaii, where the family secret is revealed! Included on 4 discs are all 25 episodes of the third season of 'Sabrina, the Teenage Witch®!

This is the first of only a couple Non-Horror that I am buying this month. I always enjoyed this sitcom. So looking forward to revisiting the third season.

The Big Bang Theory: Season 1
Physicists Leonard and Sheldon understand everything from the inescapable gravitational pull of a black hole to the intricate structure of the atom. But take those atoms and assemble them into a woman, and their comprehension comes to a grinding halt. And when Penny, a woman will all those atoms in all the right places, moves in aross the hall, Leonard and Sheldon's universe begins to expand in ways they could never have imaged.

When series creators Chuck Lorre ('Two and a Half Men') and Bill Prady ('Dharma & Greg') combine equal parts science, superheroes and sex and add stars Johnny Galecki ('Roseanne') and Jim Parsons ('Judging Amy'), the result is an explosively funny comedy for the nerd in all of us.

This is a hilarious series that premiered this past season. For some reason when I first started to watch this series I had my doubts about it... but wanted to give it a try as it has Kaley Cuoco (8 Simple Rules, Charmed) in it. To my surprise I found a sitcom that I enjoyed every second of.

The Invasion
Something terrifying has come to Earth, something that attacks us while we sleep and turns us into soulless replicants. The clock is ticking as Washington, DC psychiatrist Carol Bennell (Nicole Kidman) and her colleague Ben Driscoll (Daniel Craig) embark on a heart-stopping journey into a nightmarish world where the only way to stay alive is to stay awake. No one can be trusted. No one is safe in producer Joel Silver's bold new take on Jack Finney's classic novel 'The Body Snatchers'.

Don't fall asleep! 'The Invasion' is here.

This is yet another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And it is another blind buy. But hey... I like the story... and I am a fan of Nicole Kidman so I am looking forward to checking it out.

Supernatural: Season 3
The yellow-eyed demon is vanquished, but at a terrible price. The battle that brought him down released hundreds of demons from Hell into an unsuspecting world. And it cost Sam his life. But a grief-stricken Dean made a deal with the Crossroad Demon - his soul for Sam?s resurrection. Now Dean has just one year to live. One year to fight the unholy, the twisted, the ghoulish. One year to say farewell to Sam. And one year for Sam to search desperately for some way to save his brother. Mind-bending adventure awaits as the Winchester brothers continue their astonishing odyssey into the supernatural...and their personal odyssey into destiny.

One of my favorite series. Can't wait to revisit the 3rd season.

From the 3 for $10 Sale:

Burnt Offerings
Step inside a vacation house of horror in this terrifying thriller that "does for summer homes what 'Jaws' did for a dip in the surf" ('The New York Times')! Starring Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Burgess Meredith and Bette Davis, this riveting haunted-house chiller delivers "hidden terrors [that] mount creepily as the film builds to a climax of pulverizing fright" (Rex Reed)!

Marian (Black) and Ben (Reed) find it hard to believe that for only $900 they've rented a sprawling country mansion for the entire summer. But as they settle into their isolated estate with their son and Ben's aunt (Davis), they find themselves surrounded by a living presence – an evil, hypnotic, occult force – that feeds on torture, fear...and murder.

Complete blind buy... but story sounds interesting and for the price I felt safe with taking a chance on it.

The Dunwich Horror
Single white warlock seeks beautiful blond babe to join him at the altar...the sacrificial altar! When the son of Satan (Dean Stockwell) seduces a wide-eyed college student (Sandra Dee), it's a match made in hell in this "exceptional, truly engrossing film of the supernatural" ('Los Angeles Times') where the romance is hot...and the terror bone-chilling! Young Wilbur Whateley (Stockwell) has haunting eyes and an impish grin. No wonder, since his father was the devil and his mother was insane! So when Wilbur decides to start a family, he lures a cute coed (Dee) to the mountains for a weekend of demonic rites 'and' wrongs! Now all hell is about to break loose, as their passion awakes an ancient evil determined to destroy all humanity in this sinister scare-fest of satanic seduction!

Complete blind buy... but story sounds interesting and for the price I felt safe with taking a chance on it.

The House Where Evil Dwells
Moving into a new house can be frightening. Moving into this one is deadly. Edward Albert ('Mimic 2'), Susan George ('Straw Dogs') and Doug McClure ('Maverick') star in this horrifying haunted-house tale about a young American family moving into an old Japanese house where the dead don't rest...and history is about to repeat itself.

A century ago, a samurai brutally murdered his adulterous wife and her lover before taking his own life. Now, the Fletcher family has found what they think is their perfect Japanese home – not knowing it's the same house where the murders occurred. But as strange events escalate and the ghosts of the dead toy with the living, the Fletchers discover they've become unwitting players in a horrible reenactment...one which they may not survive!

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Two-time Oscar®-winner (Best Actress, 'The Silence of the Lambs', 1991; 'The Accused', 1988) Jodie Foster delivers an "outstanding" ('Boxoffice') performance in this "razor-sharp story of suspense" ('Albuquerque Journal') about a troubled teen with a deadly secret. Co-starring Martin Sheen, Alexis Smith, Mort Shuman and Scott Jacoby, this "delicious" ('Philadelphia Daily News') thriller is "slyly ambiguous and hypnotically watchable" ('Los Angeles Times')!

Some little girls can be murder! Thirteen-year-old Rynn ('Foster') is a gifted prodigy who lives in a big old house with her reclusive fathe...all alone. Or does she? When Rynn's nosy landlady and a lecherous neighbor ('Sheen') begin to suspect that this little girl is hiding a dark and dangerous secret, Rynn is determined to preserve her isolated existence at any cost – and stop those vicious rumors 'dead' in their tracks!

Complete blind buy... but this one I do remember my good friend Roger telling me about. And it has a young Jodie Foster in it... which I am a fan of her's. So I am pretty excited about checking this one out.

Scanners
Welcome to the world of the 'Scanners' -- a race of humans with telekinetic powers that can wreak havoc beyond your most dreaded nightmare. Writer/director David Cronenberg ('The Fly', 'Naked Lunch') brings the terror closer than ever before - he brings it right into your mind. Cronenberg is a modern-day horror master whose name fits easily with the likes of King, Craven and Carpenter...and 'Scanners', with its spectacular and shockingly realistic special effects, is a startling masterpiece of the genre.

When a rogue Scanner of unparalleled power (Michael Ironside) wages a bloody war against the "normals," young empath Cameron Vale (Stephen Lack) is recruited to track him down. But Vale is inexperienced -- and a battle with another Scanner could mean a grisly death...or worse. Can Vale vanquish his insanely violent, power-mad adversary? Only one thing is certain: 'Scanners' "delivers chills-down-your-spine, heart-in-your-throat, you-can't-watch-but-you-daren't-leave goods" ('Time')!

I remember seeing this one years ago (well before DVD)  and remember enjoying it. So hopefully it really is as good as I am remembering it.

Swamp Thing
Swamp Thing is the perfect blend of thrills, chills, "winsome humor" (Roger Ebert) and amazing special effects from master of horror Wes Craven.

Deep in the Florida everglades, a brilliant scientist, Dr. Alec Holland (Ray Wise), and a sexy government agent, Alice Cable (Adrienne Barbeau), have developed a secret formula that could end world hunger. Little do they know, however, that their arch nemesis, Arcane (Louis Jourdan), is plotting to steal the serum for his own selfish schemes. Looting the lab and kidnapping Cable, Arcane douses Holland with the chemicals and leaves him for dead. Mutated by his own formula, Holland becomes "Swamp Thing" - a half-human / half-plant superhero who will stop at nothing to rescue Cable and defeat Arcane...even if it costs him his life!

This is another one I know I seen many years ago. But I really remember very little about it. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. But even if so at least I got it for a great price!

This Month's Pre-Order:

Friday the 13th: The Series: Season 1
Make a Date With Death....
as Friday the 13th - The Series makes its chilling debut on DVD with all 26 wickedly good first-season episodes on 6 discs! When two distant cousins inherit the strange "Curious Goods" antique shop, they soon discover that their deceased uncle paid the ultimate price for the hexed items in the store: his soul was claimed by Satan. Now, it' up to them and an eccentric antiques dealer to find each diabolical item sold from the store before it manifests it's evil powers. Open the door to true terror with the series that's crawling with psychological suspense and spine-tingling mysteries you won't want to miss!

This is a show I haven't seen a single episode of in many years now. But definitely looking forward to watching it again. It is one of the shows I been waiting a very long time for to show up on DVD. Been hoping for it every since TV on DVD became popular.
Pete