Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 858043 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »
Me? I went a whole month without placing a single order. How's that for willpower?  :laugh: :tease:

I'll grant you the "Willpower" part but........what was the point ?

LOL... good question!  ;D

Don't want to be the spoilsport here but where's the point in buying when you have an innumerable amount of unwatched?

It's not like these are stamps and they will be worth something in the future (at least for most of them that is)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
Don't want to be the spoilsport here but where's the point in buying when you have an innumerable amount of unwatched?

It's not like these are stamps and they will be worth something in the future (at least for most of them that is)
I've not as much unwatch dvd than some others here, mostly tv series and maybe less than 20 movies. But, I continue to buy anyway even if I have unwatch dvd : sometimes you find the right price that you want to pay or you want a new release immediatly or the title is oop or soon to be.

For some movies you have to be in the mood for watching them, so you don't watch them immediatly and one day you realize that you have a movie for months and it's the time to watch it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »
yeah... have a nice sized unwatched collection... but I am always working on it. like... about 3 weeks to a month ago I had just over 100 unwatched movies in my collection. Now I have it down to 70something.

For some movies you have to be in the mood for watching them, so you don't watch them immediatly and one day you realize that you have a movie for months and it's the time to watch it.

Really agree here as well... I haver some unwatched that I have had in my collection for years... don't mean I don't want to watch them... just means I am not in the mood for those particular titles just yet. They will all eventually get watched. :)

Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »
No comment.  :bag:
Especially since I just ordered 6 new titles!

Najemikon

« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
Me? I went a whole month without placing a single order. How's that for willpower?  :laugh: :tease:

I'll grant you the "Willpower" part but........what was the point ?

LOL... good question!  ;D

Exactly! Thank you, Karsten. I'd bought so many in the previous months that for the first time in my collecting history, I couldn't keep up with myself. I was failing to recognise the worth in what I was buying. So I decided to take a break.

I've got loads unwatched all the time, just like some of you (though not in huge quantities). Like some of you said, it may be a while before you're in the mood. I also have several boxsets bought for one or two titles, but containing other movies I've never heard of; they take effort to seek out. But I felt it was out of hand. So for a month every time I saw a title I wanted to order, I ignored it, opened up Profiler and picked out an unwatched title instead. I tried to remember why I was so desperate to own it in the first place. The point was, I wanted to be back in control of my collection.

Plus a couple of titles I ignored, I've since got for half the price I was going to pay. :thumbup:

I think that's where I differ from some of you. I even find getting rid of titles a therapeutic exercise! Especially titles I didn't enjoy. I'll never understand the need to keep a title I don't like. Or even sequels and sub-collections, which might be merely watchable. There's no room for the mundane on my shelves! I have all the Fox Film Noirs so far and it's a fantastic collection, but one or two are just filler. Well they can go filler someone elses shelf!

I once heard some say in response to a similar argument, that they would never get rid of any title because "DVDs are like children and you have to love even the ugly ones". Rubbish. Send the ugly ones out to work. On Ebay!  :devil:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 24, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
2 other dvd order receive this morning from Amazon.ca and Amazon.uk

Nothing obscur there. ITNOTK is an Uwe Boll movie so I need it (yes I will buy Postal, Seed, Alone in the Dark 2 and Bloodrayne 3 when they will came out  :tease:). The other is the last part of the Dario Argento Mother trilogy started with Suspiria many years ago. The British dvd is not really great on the extra side, but I don't want to wait for the North American one since the movie only start to play here at theatre. So I will rebuy it when the zone 1 release will be sold later this year.

RossRoy

« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »
Received 2 today, from CinemaClock.com:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »
I got the book Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics: Hollywood's Best Mistakes, Goofs and Flat-Out Destructions of the Basic Laws of the Universe this week. So far an interesting read. It is written by the webmaster of the site with the same name.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2008, 09:59:16 PM »
From an Amazon Marketplace seller...

As I said before... this was my first attempt at purchasing something from the Amazon Marketplace. Thankfully everything went great... and the set arrived quickly and as described.

The only problem I have is that the set comes in a digipack and the first disc's hub is broken off. but the disc did stay in place during shipment and all... and since this is a new (still sealed) set... this was of no fault of the seller.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2008, 12:08:32 AM »
The only problem I have is that the set comes in a digipack and the first disc's hub is broken off. but the disc did stay in place during shipment and all... and since this is a new (still sealed) set... this was of no fault of the seller.
The same thing happen to me with one of my recent order (The Seduction of Misty Mundae), but in my case the disc is scratch. The bad news it doesn't play on my dvd reader  :(, the good news the dvd reader in my computer doesn't care and play it  :thumbup:

I've never seen a dvd who refuse to work on my computer  :bow:

Touti

« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2008, 02:41:38 AM »
Just ordered.

Never SeenNever SeenNever SeenReplacing my Fool
Screen version
A nice story
Never SeenNever Seen
Recommended by
SailorRipley a
long time ago.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:26:34 AM by Touti »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2008, 02:42:01 AM »
I've never seen a dvd who refuse to work on my computer  :bow:

It's really amazing how the computer drives can handle beat-up discs. Makes me wonder actually, why are stand alone player such wussies and easily start saying "Oh, there's a scratch, I'd rather not touch that thing...".

I've had two discs refused by my computer drives so far. One suffered from DVD rot, I believe (although I go parts of it to play in my new computer :hmmmm:). The other one was a floater too, which was so scratched though, that I excuse my computer drive for not playing it (it's the DVD that Amazon send me again without requesting the damaged one back).

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 27, 2008, 03:00:11 AM »
It's really amazing how the computer drives can handle beat-up discs. Makes me wonder actually, why are stand alone player such wussies and easily start saying "Oh, there's a scratch, I'd rather not touch that thing...".
The only dvd that didn't want to play at first on my computer is a dvd-r that I reviewed some time ago. It played but at a certain place the disc froze, I've just extracted the film with dvd shrink on my hard drive. No more problem to watch it and I suppose that it will work again if the same thing happen with another dvd.

For the dvd reader, maybe it's because of the zone free code?  :hmmmm:
or a more realistic guess : they are made cheap, so we replace them faster  :hmmmm:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2008, 03:03:58 AM »
or a more realistic guess : they are made cheap, so we replace them faster  :hmmmm:

That'll be it, I think.

RossRoy

« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »
From Futureshop last thursday (I really need to stop going there in person):

Never SeenNever SeenPure Impulse Buy
I remember watching
this when I was younger

And received these from Amazon.ca on Friday:
Never Seen
The trailer
made it look good