Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855672 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #5280 on: June 15, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
I did it a summer when I was student without the fancy truck they have now and the obligatory type of trash container to work with them. It was an hard summer... picking the trash can manually, cleaning the mess of the plastic bags and the smell (heat and food wastes aren't a good mix) isn't my idea of a fun job. But it was easier than when we repair the streets hole (now this is what we called tough, the beers at the municipality garage at the end of the day were more than welcome).

And now the complete mail service is in lockout, so no mail delivery at all untill the special law that will happen fast...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:12:32 PM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #5281 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »
Battle: Los Angeles
Have you seen this before? Reviews were less than raving so I gave it a pass myself...

No I didn't .. I didn't even read any reviews because .. I bought solely on the fact it was cheap, used, and I liked the previews .. we'll see when I come around to seeing .. in 125 years or something considering my yet-to-watch pile ;)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5282 on: June 15, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I did it a summer when I was student without the fancy truck they have now and the obligatory type of trash container to work with them. It was an hard summer... picking the trash can manually, cleaning the mess of the plastic bags and the smell (heat and food wastes aren't a good mix) isn't my idea of a fun job. But it was easier than when we repair the streets hole (now this is what we called tough, the beers at the municipality garage at the end of the day were more than welcome).

And now the complete mail service is in lockout, so no mail delivery at all untill the special law that will happen fast...
And I worked in a logistic center of the German Mail (now DHL) during my time as a student and I can assure you that loading and unloading parcel-trucks by hand isn't the easiest thing one can do to make a living.
Even though they are those publicly noticed the mailmen that actually deliver the mail are only a small fraction of those employed by the mail.
BTW have you ever thought that mail-delivery (esp. parcels) is a very dangerous job and I'm not talking about dogs. Because of the transported values and money (Cash On Delivery) the mailman is still one of the most robbed and if he/she is really lucky they only steal the car.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
You realize mail in Canada and mail in Germany aren't the same thing? :shrug:
To be honest I couldn't care less if their job is or isn't hard... they are paid more than 20$ an hour to do it, so I won't cry for them when they will be force to do their works. I've done job harder than that for less money so I won't loose any sleep for a bunch of organized civil servant well paid with my taxes ::)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5284 on: June 15, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
they are paid more than 20$ an hour to do it
:stars: :stars:
... and what exactly is it they are on strike for?
Longer lunchtime breaks? The payment seems to be excellent to me.  :hmmmm:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: June 15, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
I bought solely on the fact it was cheap, used, and I liked the previews
I liked the previews too, but still was not convinced. "Cheap" could persuade me otherwise, I guess :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5286 on: June 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
The Butterfly Effect 2

15 Jun - €4.20 (£2.96) @ Amazon.co.uk

(only because of Mrs. Durance ;))

Hot Tub Time Machine

15 Jun - €6.50 (£4.96) @ Amazon.co.uk

She's Out of My League

15 Jun - €6.49 (£4.95) @ Amazon.co.uk
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:14:44 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #5287 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
I also got the new True Grit today...so I now have both True Grit films on Blu-ray.  I had hoped to see the new True Grit in the theater but a stay in the  hospital prevented that from happening.

Because of the recent talk about the two True Grit movies here, I thought it fitting to post Nostalgia Critic's latest "Old vs New" review: True Grit

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »
Since we talk of people who work for the governement nobody really know... I think it's about their retirement plan or something like that (because they want to be sure to leave no funds in the bank for the other when they will retire).

RossRoy

« Reply #5290 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:28 PM »
Since we talk of people who work for the governement nobody really know... I think it's about their retirement plan or something like that (because they want to be sure to leave no funds in the bank for the other when they will retire).

from what was explained this morning on the radio it's because the retirement plan is currently a "fixed rent" system, and postes canada wants to make it a "fixed contribution" system.

currently, any postes canada employee taking his retirement, knows exactly how much money he'll get, no matter the actual situation of the retirement fund.

what postes canada (and many other large corporations - this is not over with just postes canada) wants to do, is say you contribute X amount to the retirement plan, and we'll pay your rent back depending on how the market evolves.

personally, that second option makes much more sense. already as it is, retirement funds are in debt (2 billions for air canada, and 3 billions for postes canada) - both strikes are for the same reason. the union doesn't want to recognize there is a problem with the current system, and are fighting to keep it as it is, without any regards to future, younger worker.

and from what I understand - a big part of the problem for GM and Chrysler last year (or was it the year before?) was for that exact same reason. the retirement funds, as they are now, are not viable on the long term.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:31:20 PM by RossRoy »

Rogmeister

« Reply #5291 on: June 17, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
I got 4 DVD titles yesterday (okay, one was a Blu-ray/DVD combo) and thought I'd mention them here.  Two of them feature westerns.  All but one were found in the $5 section at Wal-Mart.

The Outlaw Josey Wales--I had a copy of this already but it had few extras...just some text pieces and a collection of western trailers.  The one I got yesterday only had one trailer (for The Outlaw Josey Wales itself).  But it had some extras not in the earlier edition including a short intro to the movie by Clint Eastwood plus a couple documentaries, one from 1999 and one from 1976.

The other western title I got is Classic Western Collection which features 4 movies.  Unfortunately, 3 of the movies I already owned copies of: Albuquerque with Randolph Scott and Gabby Hayes, The Duel at Silver Creek with Audie Murphy and Stephen McNally, and War Arrow with Maureen O'Hara and Jeff Chandler.  But I'd been wanting a copy of the one movie in this set I didn't have before, Whispering Smith with Alan Ladd and Robert Preston.  $5 for 4 movies is pretty good...even for one movie I didn't have yet isn't bad, even though I don't think there are any extras in this set.  This is a 2-disc set so you get 2 movies on each disc.

The other (non-western) titles I got were the first Hellboy movie which stars Ron Perlman and the animated Green Lantern movie titled Green Lantern: Emerald Knights.  The Green Lantern movie is the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack and is the one title I got that cost more than $5.

kahless

« Reply #5292 on: June 17, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
Latest arrivals:

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Season 10.2

CSI: Miami - Season 8.2

CSI: NY - Season 6.2

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
These arrived Wednesday and yesterday

True Grit

The Searchers

Rio Bravo

and these on Wednesday

Pierre Boulez: Mahler

Martha Argerich & Mischa Maisky

Hector Berlioz: Les Troyens

Puccini: Madama Butterfly

Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.