Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855659 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #5250 on: June 11, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »
Hasn't been for a long time.

For as long as I remember Hogan's Heroes (literal german title: "A cage filled with heroes") and M*A*S*H were shown as "double feature" here.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: June 11, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
I was under the impression it was written in your Constitution after the war, I probably understand it wrongly all those years. Does it depend of the type of movie or everything is permited? By exemple movie like Love Camp 7, Triumph of the Will, Gestapo's Last Orgy and Der ewige Jude (I guess this one is, since it is banned almost everywhere in the world) or just more "moral" films

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5252 on: June 11, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »
There are all kinds of laws that prohibit the selling of items and symbols of the Third Reich (like the swastika) and they found a clever trick to prohibit the reprint of "Mein Kampf" (the copyright lies with the state of Bavaria and they won't reprint it).

It's also forbidden to glorify the Third Reich.

But in art there are exceptions, also Nazis are usually the baddies who get shot (e.g. Indiana Jones).

It gets more complicated with video games, simply because they can be edited with some effort. Often game publishers remove any forbidden symbols with something obscure (Basically like what Charlie Chaplin did in The Great Dictator).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5253 on: June 11, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
PS: The only actual case of a TV episode I know of not being aired because of Nazi stuff was Star Trek's original series episode Patterns of Force where Kirk and Spock land on the Nazi planet of the week. And Spock comments on "how efficient" that society is. That did not go over well. I don't think this episode has ever been aired on commercial TV here (it's on the DVDs though).
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #5254 on: June 11, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
I don't know if there is anything in the constitution, but there is a paragraph in Germany's criminal code: $86a.

This one I think is the cause, that they remove swastikas in video games for example. And I am not even sure if this practice is really necessary from the law's point of view (and even if they still do this. Myself I had only played two games in my life where they did this: Wolfenstein 3D and Indiana Jones 3 adventure game by Lucasfilm).
A movie will not be banned in Germany only for displaying these symbols in context. What you cannot do is glorify these symbols.
So essentially it depends on the type of the movie, I think.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: June 11, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Thanks for the details!

So movies like Love Camp 7, Ilsa She Wolf of the SS or the numerous italian naziploitation films are legal since the nazi loose at the end (and are sure not glorified). But a movie like Triumph of the Will is ilegal because it glorify the nazi governement. Am I right?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: June 11, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
PS: The only actual case of a TV episode I know of not being aired...

On the other hand, the German dubbing removed any and all Nazi references even in shows like Buffy. That was only a few years ago, so not *that* far in the past. Not sure if it still happens.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »
On the other hand, the German dubbing removed any and all Nazi references even in shows like Buffy. That was only a few years ago, so not *that* far in the past. Not sure if it still happens.
Maybe a decision from the dubbing studio? They might have done that to keep the show firmly in the realm of light hearted entertainment...? That isn't saying that I agree with that, just that it may not actually have been imposed by the government.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: June 11, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
Maybe a decision from the dubbing studio? They might have done that to keep the show firmly in the realm of light hearted entertainment...? That isn't saying that I agree with that, just that it may not actually have been imposed by the government.

There was of course never an explicit law that required that kind of censorship, but it was a common practice and happened  in countless other TV shows and movies, regardless of the dubbing studio involved. But I stopped paying attention in the early '00s (Six Feet Under was the latest I took notice of, I think), so I have no idea if it is still ongoing.
Matthias

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5259 on: June 11, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
These two arrived throughout the week:

Black Swan

Cross of Iron

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #5260 on: June 11, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Got a few days ago:

Tangled/Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (£17.84 at Amazon.co.uk)

Please check if all is OK with this set.
Amazon is currently reviewing it, because something doesn't seem to be OK. They are not being specific on the reason.
Check: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tangled-White-Blu-ray-Larry-Morey/dp/B004TWP8N4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307567203&sr=8-4

I haven't noticed anything wrong. So far I only watched Tangled and its bonus features though.

I have now also watched Snow White and some of its bonus features. The only fault I found in this set is, that the back cover says "Celebrating 50 Years of Disney Animated Classics". Which is not correct. This set celebrates Disney's 50th feature film by including the first and the 50th in one set. Between those two there were almost 75 years though.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: June 11, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
These arrived today

True Grit
2010 version
Hereafter

Apocalypse Now

Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Rogmeister

« Reply #5262 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:15 PM »
I also got the new True Grit today...so I now have both True Grit films on Blu-ray.  I had hoped to see the new True Grit in the theater but a stay in the  hospital prevented that from happening.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5263 on: June 12, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »
Hope you like the new True Grit

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: June 13, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
Hope you like the new True Grit

I know you're probably addressing Roger but I quite enjoyed it when I saw it in the cinema back in March. Amazingly I have never seen the John Wayne version, in fact I don't seem to own any titles starring him :o
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.