Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857011 times)

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #4785 on: March 12, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »
What does the Cinedition do? Additional extras, different packaging...?
Packaging: MediaBook (DigiBook) with booklet fixed into it
Bonus Features: (Braveheart) 1 BluRay + 1 DVD + 1 Frame with a celluloid pic from the movie.

Looks very good and all in all is worth the € 13 I paid for it.

You have to take care though. Some versions do not really keep what they promise. "Independence Day" for example has the extended cut on DVD only.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: March 12, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
Latest arrival:

Still waiting for my tenth season. :(

I am so far behind... only have the first 5 seasons!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4787 on: March 12, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
What does the Cinedition do? Additional extras, different packaging...?
Bonus Features: (Braveheart) 1 BluRay + 1 DVD + 1 Frame with a celluloid pic from the movie.

You have to take care though. Some versions do not really keep what they promise. "Independence Day" for example has the extended cut on DVD only.

I'm steadily going through my collection, checking the quality of my older titles now I have a HD tv. Helps me know if I should be bothered about upgrading a particular title.

Both The Abyss and Independence Day are those Five Star region 1st releases in the chunky cases. The non-anamorphic Abyss is abysmal and unwatchable :P, but ID4 is really good quality. From what I've heard, the blu isn't great, so stick with the DVD if you have it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: March 12, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »

So it is more than just a pretty name. I agree that €13 is a good deal on the Braveheart :thumbup:

@Jon: apparently an anamorphic Blu-ray of The Abyss is in the works...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #4789 on: March 12, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
The Chinese DVD from Excel Media is anamorphic and has a DTS track. No extras though and only the SE version of the movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #4790 on: March 12, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »

...which is why my Abyss is on sale!  :whistle: It's a shame because that DVD presentation is really good. But the picture is woeful, anamorphic or not. My Twelve Monkeys is rough as well. Very pleased with things like Evild Dead II though. That picture is fantastic. Just shows there is no such thing as a standard DVD and upgrades to Blu can range from absolutely essential through to no point.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: March 12, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »

and I bet the UK release will either have the rat sequence cut or reframed as per earlier releases because the BBFC doesn't like animals being harmed.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: March 12, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
I just got that huge package from my friend Today!  :yahoo:

LIST OF MOVIES HERE
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4793 on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »

and I bet the UK release will either have the rat sequence cut or reframed as per earlier releases because the BBFC doesn't like animals being harmed.

Not the BBFC. UK law. And it's not a huge problem in this case.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: March 13, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
They killed the rat in that scene...? I thought that would not be allowed, especially on set of such a big budget film :headscratch:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4795 on: March 13, 2011, 03:49:34 AM »
The rat didn't die.  It was breathing the liquid oxygen stuff.  It sort of convulsed a bit at first, but it survived.  At least that part.  Can't remember if it was with them at the end..been too long since I saw the movie.

kahless

« Reply #4796 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
Latest arrival:

Still waiting for my tenth season. :(

I suppose that season ten is only available in US?

Well I prefer the UK versions for 2 reasons: the price (between 10 and 14 GPB) and  the German audio track  ;)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4797 on: March 13, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
I suppose that season ten is only available in US?

Well I prefer the UK versions for 2 reasons: the price (between 10 and 14 GPB) and  the German audio track  ;)

So far. But it'll come. I switched from UK to US after season 4 because it took ages for season 5 to come out in the UK. But once it came out the rest of the seasons followed quickly. So I guess the last season will come out within the next few months.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: March 13, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »

Sorry BBFC and thank you Jon. Yes the BBFC asked for the cut to comply with UK law. I agree that it's not a a biggie in the censorship stakes but the rat was unharmed and my understanding from earlier interviews is that James Cameron and co. supplied evidence to the BBFC ascertaining to that fact. Even Channel 4 showed it uncut on TV, although they did apprently receive a rap over the knuckles for doing so.

They killed the rat in that scene...? I thought that would not be allowed, especially on set of such a big budget film :headscratch:

As per my comment above and as Marie said above no the rat was unharmed.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #4799 on: March 13, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »

Sorry BBFC and thank you Jon. Yes the BBFC asked for the cut to comply with UK law. I agree that it's not a a biggie in the censorship stakes but the rat was unharmed and my understanding from earlier interviews is that James Cameron and co. supplied evidence to the BBFC ascertaining to that fact. Even Channel 4 showed it uncut on TV, although they did apprently receive a rap over the knuckles for doing so.

As per my comment above and as Marie said above no the rat was unharmed.

Did anyone ask the rat if it was ok? :laugh:

I know that sounds silly, but the rat surviving is not the point. The act itself is considered cruel.

I've just read Mark Kermode's book and he has a very funny bit on censorship with an anecdote about an interview with John Waters, concerning a chicken. That survived (at least initially) someone having sex with it but it was still cut!