Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857741 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #4455 on: January 26, 2011, 07:21:40 AM »
Look again. DVD logo.  :hysterical:
I didn't even notice until now this was in the HD section (HD-DVD at that!  :hmmmm:). I just looked at the topic What'ya got?.

Look again ;)
It's in the "DVD / Blu-ray / HD-DVD" section.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: January 26, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
Today this arrived

Bad Lieutenant

This is the replacement from amazon UK after I sent my original one back to play. Still no lenticular sleeve but at £3.89 less it doesn't matter so much.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

kahless

« Reply #4457 on: January 26, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »
Bought today (sold before official release date in GER)

The Expendables (Limited Special Edition, Steelbook) [Blu-ray]

Demolition Man [Blu-ray]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:49:06 PM by kahless »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: January 26, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
Each time I see one of those german dvd I'm sure happy that we don't have those big sticker here. We have a sticker in the Province of Quebec but it isn't place on the cover... it's visible on the package, but we can throw it after we unwrap the case.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4459 on: January 26, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
Each time I see one of those german dvd I'm sure happy that we don't have those big sticker here. We have a sticker in the Province of Quebec but it isn't place on the cover... it's visible on the package, but we can throw it after we unwrap the case.

The Australians have the biggest ones on the front cover. Case in point:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

snowcat

« Reply #4460 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

the Other Guys

Been contemplating getting this for a while, I went to see it at the cinema and loved it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: January 27, 2011, 05:10:27 AM »
It used to be in the back only, slightly smaller.

Some distributors offer two-sided covers, one without the rating logo.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: January 27, 2011, 05:22:22 AM »
So was it done this way because the Germans have a very poor vision?

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4463 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »
So was it done this way because the Germans have a very poor vision?

(click to show/hide)

No, as always when you want to force an issue in germany, it was "to protect the children". Our former (read the list and look who's missing!) "Federal Minister of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth" (she's now Federal Minister of Labour and Social Affairs) thought that neither parents nor sales people would look on the back of the cover to check the rating when selling and buying stuff. So you have to help them because they are too lazy and put the rating on the front. We're in luck insofar as the ratings label does not cover the entire front. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: January 27, 2011, 07:52:35 AM »
We are kind of lucky here since that "think of the children" attitude doesn't really exist (at least compare with our neighbors from the south). We have more a mentallity to let the parents do the works since they are the best to decide what their kid can or can't do (wich is very weird since our state usually believes they can decide everything for us). I even watch Showgirls at 9AM on one of our regular channel a couple of years ago and it sure ain't morning kid stuff :laugh:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's because the religious group (who are mostly the one feeding this attitude) aren't something listen seriously or important since the sixties when our parents and the society in general had rejected most of the religious stuff. Not a lot of stuff is consider off-limit for the kid by our rating board, an 18 rating is something very rare. Hardcore sex evidently is an automatic 18 and very violent movie too (Wolf Creek was rated 18 and this one always make me laugh since a movie like Saw is 16+).

It's a way I have always agree with, as a kid I was able to watch horror movies and as a young teenager I was able to watch hardcore movies because my parent tought it was ok. I don't think I've have turn to some kind of maniac because of the choice of my parents :shrug: The parent know when we are mentally old enough for something certainly more than a couple of old guys and women in an office. This is certainly one of the few thing I like in the way our province works.

read the list and look who's missing!
The adult single male like me :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:54:39 AM by Jimmy »

kahless

« Reply #4465 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »
[...] We're in luck insofar as the ratings label does not cover the entire front. ;)

Don't say that too loud!  :laugh:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: January 27, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
This arrived today

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 7, 8 & 9

Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4467 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
Yet another two arrived:

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Perrier's Bounty

Najemikon

« Reply #4468 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
We are kind of lucky here since that "think of the children" attitude doesn't really exist (at least compare with our neighbors from the south). We have more a mentallity to let the parents do the works since they are the best to decide what their kid can or can't do (wich is very weird since our state usually believes they can decide everything for us). I even watch Showgirls at 9AM on one of our regular channel a couple of years ago and it sure ain't morning kid stuff :laugh:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's because the religious group (who are mostly the one feeding this attitude) aren't something listen seriously or important since the sixties when our parents and the society in general had rejected most of the religious stuff. Not a lot of stuff is consider off-limit for the kid by our rating board, an 18 rating is something very rare. Hardcore sex evidently is an automatic 18 and very violent movie too (Wolf Creek was rated 18 and this one always make me laugh since a movie like Saw is 16+).

It's a way I have always agree with, as a kid I was able to watch horror movies and as a young teenager I was able to watch hardcore movies because my parent tought it was ok. I don't think I've have turn to some kind of maniac because of the choice of my parents :shrug: The parent know when we are mentally old enough for something certainly more than a couple of old guys and women in an office. This is certainly one of the few thing I like in the way our province works.

read the list and look who's missing!
The adult single male like me :hmmmm:

I do agree with you, but I like our system as it stands. The BBFC rarely censor anything now, what they do censor is unwatchable junk anyway, and the rating is usually advisory for the filmmaker, but restrictive and enforceable to the person selling it. TV observes the "watershed", which is the time of evening when morally ambiguous subjects and swearing can be shown.

While I don't think there is a link between crime and what is shown, and I will passionately argue that with any do-gooder, I do think it is important to help guide children away from certain themes. Parents should be responsible and can of course show them whatever they like in their own home, but the certificate helps influence that decision.

Anything against this stance though is largely down to the type of things being made. When I was growing up, I think children's films were much more intelligent than they are now. Also, they used to make adults-only sci-fi with balls, like Robocop and Terminator. Now it's brightly coloured junk for the kids, sci-fi/fantasy for teens and worthy dramas or crime for grown-ups.

I remember being 12 and hearing about Robocop and being desperate to see it. After all, a robot cop? Awesome! My parents though observed the certificate and wouldn't rent it, no matter how much I begged. When I finally saw it, like it was contraband, it was even better than I thought it could be.

I miss that anticipation and kids today haven't got anything like that. Apart from Kick Ass maybe, which just isn't the same, what films could they possibly fantasise over while they're being bombarded with too many superhero movies to shake a stick at?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
Children can not get to the video store or pay for a DVD without their parents assistance. I would hate to have my cover ruined and think this is just plain stupid. Children are exposed to much worse in real life.