Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 850753 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #3795 on: September 12, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »
I hadn't thought about that before, but maybe I should look into getting more movies of Zulawski now :hmmmm: Are the other comparable? Do they invloves some blood and guts along with the brain teasers? Anyone you'd recommend based on me liking Possession?

Possession is probably Zulawski's most personal film and actually very autobiographical in describing the collapse of his first marriage with the Polish actress Malgorzata Braunek.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of his work, but I would definitely recommend L'amour braque, an adaptation of Dostoyevsky's Idiot as a gangster movie. It opens with a bank heist that makes you wonder if Nolan tried to copy that in TDK, albeit without reaching even a fraction of the insanity that the original has. But then, compared to every single character in L'amour braque, the Joker seems like a phlegmatic agent of order instead of chaos.

For this and some others, take a look at the website of the US label Mondo Vision, which has dedicated itself to releasing Zulawski's movies fully restored and in excellent editions. But it is a very slow process. And yes, they are pricey, but the quality is on par with the best of Criterion.

Thanks for the link! While I am not sure if it actually showed up in my searches, it appears to be cut. At least Amazon and DVDP say my version is 127min, whereas the Bildstörung Version is marked as 119min at Amazon. Eaxtra features are nice to have, but priority is the completeness of the film whenever possible.

That's most likely a mistake. 119min is the uncut PAL running time.
EDIT: You could always put YOUR DVD in the player instead of trusting Amazon/DVDP.
EDIT2: I also remember vaguely that the Spanish DVD supposedly has the wrong aspect ratio (1.85?). The OAR is 1.66:1.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:12:33 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #3796 on: September 12, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
I haven't seen L'amour braque, but Nolan is very much Michael Mann-ish in a lot of ways, so a more viable comparison might be Mann's Heat?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: September 12, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
L'amour braque - Opening sequence (bank heist)

Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #3798 on: September 12, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
Oh, ok, thanks for that! I can certainly see there is more link with Nolan's Dark Knight, because of the masks and the anarchist nature of the robbers, but I don't think Nolan would have been particularly inspired by it. For one thing the point of the Joker is that he is the only one who is truly nuts, while his gang are a typical mob, and that comes from the comics.

I fancy seeing L'amour braque! Like-for-like, I much prefer the cleaner sequences in Mann's Heat or the Dark Knight, but I like a good heist sequence. Peckinpah's The Getaway is still a benchmark for me.  :P

Actually, Katherine Bigelow's Point Break could easily have been inspired by this. She had the gang with president masks and they only robbed banks to fund their beach bum surfer lifestyle.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3799 on: September 12, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »
Chernaya Molniya (Amazon.de)
Stumbled across this new Russian superhero movie in Amazon's bargains.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: September 13, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong with any of his work, but I would definitely recommend L'amour braque, an adaptation of Dostoyevsky's Idiot as a gangster movie. It opens with a bank heist that makes you wonder if Nolan tried to copy that in TDK, albeit without reaching even a fraction of the insanity that the original has. But then, compared to every single character in L'amour braque, the Joker seems like a phlegmatic agent of order instead of chaos.
How could one resist that description...? I'll be on the lookout for this one. I seem to vaguely remember the title, but I doubt I have seen it before.

Somehow my brain would usually associate Polish filmmakers with arthouse flicks, but I am very pleased to be proven wrong in this way. While clearly not mainstream either, his films seem to be far removed from arthouse...

For this and some others, take a look at the website of the US label Mondo Vision, which has dedicated itself to releasing Zulawski's movies fully restored and in excellent editions. But it is a very slow process. And yes, they are pricey, but the quality is on par with the best of Criterion.
Found them on Amazon. They have a Special Edition for $30 and a Limited Edition for $45. The latter seems to include some kind of a book and a (mini-)poster. I wish listed the former.

That's most likely a mistake. 119min is the uncut PAL running time.
EDIT: You could always put YOUR DVD in the player instead of trusting Amazon/DVDP.
EDIT2: I also remember vaguely that the Spanish DVD supposedly has the wrong aspect ratio (1.85?). The OAR is 1.66:1.
I put my DVD in and it shows 119min :bag: Anyway, at the time of purchase it seemed to be the only one available. Does the German release have English subtitles?
Except the OAR issue the transfer looks sufficiently good. Not being aware of the issue I never found that the cropping was destroying the compositions.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3801 on: September 13, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
The Nanny: Season 1
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: September 13, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
I like what the front cover says better... Die Nanny (well at least the English meaning of the word) :tease:  nothing against your taste... but I could never stand her!  :P
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3803 on: September 13, 2010, 09:01:53 PM »
 :o

There's a show you don't like?

:tease:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »
I like what the front cover says better... Die Nanny (well at least the English meaning of the word) :tease:  nothing against your taste... but I could never stand her!  :P

Tenth rate Who's the Boss with an annoying nasal bitch.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: September 13, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »
:o

There's a show you don't like?

:tease:

:laugh: And believe it or not... it isn't the only one!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3806 on: September 13, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
 :laugh:

The Nanny can be annoying....I'll watch it sometimes when I find it on, but I don't see myself buying the DVD sets.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: September 13, 2010, 09:30:08 PM »
I fell asleep watching Nick@Nite before... The Nanny came on late night/early morning.... heard that voice in my sleep and ended up with nightmares!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3808 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
 :laugh:
Well that's not good.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3809 on: September 13, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »
Actually, it was on a whim. I watched a few episodes a few days ago when I couldn't sleep (dubbed german television) and ordered the first season. But her real voice needs getting used to. She sounds a lot like Chandler Bing's on-and-off girfriend ("Oh! My!! God!!!" - forgot the name), especially when she laughs...
Karsten