Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 855395 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #3060 on: May 10, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
This morning the following arrived

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 / Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Caligula

Departures

Così fan tutte

Dave
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:46:54 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

karmesinrot

« Reply #3061 on: May 10, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »

£2 each ex-rental :thumbup: I've never seen The Darjeeling Limited but it's got very mixed reviews. Bought One Missed Call thinking it was a different film but oh well!

snowcat

« Reply #3062 on: May 10, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
The Darjeeling Limited is a good film!

and... I also quite liked 17 Again  :-[

Najemikon

« Reply #3063 on: May 10, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
I liked Darjeeling a lot too, but you have to appreciate Wes Anderson's style. Very much a Marmite director.

snowcat

« Reply #3064 on: May 10, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
I liked Darjeeling a lot too, but you have to appreciate Wes Anderson's style. Very much a Marmite director.

True, but I also think those who appreciate it still have a Marmite tendency towards his film I love Darjeeling, Royal Tannenbaums and Life Aquatic (on the second viewing)

but didn't really care for Bottle Rocket, Rushmore or Fantastic Mr Fox

karmesinrot

« Reply #3065 on: May 10, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »

True, but I also think those who appreciate it still have a Marmite tendency towards his film I love Darjeeling, Royal Tannenbaums and Life Aquatic (on the second viewing)

i haven't seen any of those films, but the Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic are both on my wishlist as well

snowcat

« Reply #3066 on: May 10, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »
Ugh! spending again :k angry at myself! why do I have to have such an expensive addiction?

Changeling

Year One

The Wrestler

Benjamin Button

All Ex Rentals from Blockbuster

;P picked for impeccable case condition (under the circumstances) out of hundreds of copies of each

snowcat

« Reply #3067 on: May 10, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »

i haven't seen any of those films, but the Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic are both on my wishlist as well

!! No matter what happens! you must I repeat MUST! buy and watch the Royal Tenenbaums!  :P

Najemikon

« Reply #3068 on: May 10, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
 :laugh:

Let her watch Darjeeling first! But You're right that even film-by-film you have to make your mind up (love Rushmore, can't get near Bottle Rocket), but there is still something about that core style. Quirky, ain't the word!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3069 on: May 10, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
Today I got this:

A movie one should have seen if you ask me. It's based on the actual Wannsee Conference protocols.

There's also a german movie upon which the american version is based:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:35:22 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #3070 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
It was actually a made for TV drama. I remember the broadcast and it was stunning. I know we've discussed the accents before, but for me this made it more affecting that that they delivered the lines in their own accent. There was no contrast with other nationalities, so it didn't jar.

RossRoy

« Reply #3071 on: May 10, 2010, 08:51:50 PM »

Will you allow me to show my ignorance here? What do you mean by "marmite director"?

snowcat

« Reply #3072 on: May 10, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
Marmite is a British sandwich spread that's made of yeast.

Its marketed with the slogan "You either love it or hate it" because you tend to find a dramatic split with people, they either hate the taste completely or love it!

People often use the "Marmite" thing when referring to something that people tend to love or hate ;p

Najemikon

« Reply #3073 on: May 10, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
Not ignorance, if you aren't British!  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

"Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing"

You spread it on things, like sandwiches or crackers. And there is no middle ground. You either really like it, or detest it. This is so well known, it is occasionally used as I have. In fact, the producers of Marmite have even featured their advertising around it!

Najemikon

« Reply #3074 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
I just found an ad I haven't seen! This is fantastic... her face at the end is superb! :hysterical: