Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 857221 times)

RossRoy

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #990 on: January 03, 2009, 02:54:45 AM »

RossRoy

« Reply #991 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:23 AM »
Here's what I got for Xmas (except Dr. Horrible - which I bought for myself):

Bones: Season Three
24: Redemption
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Seventh Season
Lost: The Complete Fourth Season
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #992 on: January 03, 2009, 03:33:38 AM »

How many of us have got X-Files? Could be good for a marathon. Haven't seen it from the start in years and as I've said before, I need some encouragement to get through the last lot. :P

I only have one season so far..but I can get season 2 and 3 from Walmart for $19.99 too.  So that could work for me..at least for the first season now and maybe a few more once I pick those up.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 03, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
I have all 9 seasons... and would be willing to do a marathon. But it would have to be a slow one. Something like 1 disc per week or something similar.
Pete

lovemunkey187

« Reply #994 on: January 03, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »
My first new purchase of 2009 arrived yesterday.
Very Very Live: Marvel then and Now.

How many of us have got X-Files?

[raises hand]

Could be good for a marathon.

:thumbup:

I haven't replaced my X-files videos yet and after watching the recent film I have no intention of doing so now  :yucky:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #995 on: January 04, 2009, 03:03:03 AM »
I now have season 2 of the X-Files..didn't take me long to go back after it.  lol

RossRoy

« Reply #996 on: January 04, 2009, 05:10:36 AM »
I had to get a new Rock Band drum today (the red pad is wonky on the previous set) and there was a special on steelbooks, so I got:

Wanted
The Dark Knight

Also, since we are babysitting my 2 nieces (3.5 and 1 year old) I thought I could get this and keep it in reserve, just in case:

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 04, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »
Also, since we are babysitting my 2 nieces (3.5 and 1 year old) I thought I could get this and keep it in reserve, just in case:
What you need is "Passe Partout"1 that works great with any young child. I was surprise to see the effect on my 2 nephews and my niece who are 4 and 5 years old.

1. For our no French Canadian friends here : this is a very old kid tv show in the Province of Quebec.

Najemikon

« Reply #998 on: January 04, 2009, 01:31:44 PM »
It's now politically incorrect to show Tom & Jerry to kids, but I do and it's like hiring a hypnotist to keep them quiet!

RossRoy

« Reply #999 on: January 04, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
What you need is "Passe Partout"1 that works great with any young child. I was surprise to see the effect on my 2 nephews and my niece who are 4 and 5 years old.

They have all the sets that are out as of now (are they done releasing them?) and they love it!

It's now politically incorrect to show Tom & Jerry to kids, but I do and it's like hiring a hypnotist to keep them quiet!

Yeah I know, it's amazing! Just about any old cartoons gets them glued to the TV. Well, the older one (Charlize) anyway. The younger one (Mélyane) doesn't care at all for TV yet. She much prefers tupperwares  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #1000 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38:43 PM »
The younger one (Mélyane) doesn't care at all for TV yet. She much prefers tupperwares  :laugh:

Push comes to shove, all things considered... I can't argue!  :shrug: :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 05, 2009, 05:28:18 AM »
You mean all of them...?

Tom and Jerry is the only cartoon series I know where there is actually two "versions" available. Like when I was a kid/teenager they would show one version in the early evening program (the "G" rated ones) but then the "hard core" stuff, where they nearly kill each other, after 9PM...

Najemikon

« Reply #1002 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »
Well I didn't realise there were two versions, but the lighter stuff is probably their second stint anyway (were they given voices as well, I seem to remember?). It's probably easier to answer you by saying that I cannot remember the last time T&J were on British television, or Looney Tunes, which should speak for itself. :weep: It's the first thing I'd put right if I were made Prime Minister because the link between politically correct do-gooders banning classic stuff like this and the rise of teenage crime (or the perception of) is obvious.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 05, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
OMG, I think you may be right and they may even have given them voices later on. :weep:

So you were serious, there has been some bannage going on in the UK? Like I said, though, hopefully not a general ban but rather selectively for the more violent stuff, which of course should remain available for us old people.

Heck, and all that while ratings and censorship were actually improving otherwise?

Najemikon

« Reply #1004 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
To be fair, a quick search in Google doesn't give any evidence for a ban as such, just a perceived general opinion that cartoons from before the 60s are no longer considered acceptable for children and quite a few have been edited anyway to reduce racism. There is a digital channel called Boomerang here which does show them, but it's hardly prolific. And they've recently had to edit more cartoons to reduce smoking references. Smoking now lies somewhere between rape and GBH as crimes in the UK! In fact I don't think many people can tell the difference anymore... ::)

I think it's simply a case that if the BBC scheduled normal cartoons in their regular children's TV slots, they would invite a lot of complaints. By a lot I mean about 7, which normally seems enough for someone like OFCOM to consider slapping the broadcasters wrist, regardless of how many millions did watch without feeling in anyway corrupted.

Bear in mind that censorship has improved, but only by tightening up the lower certificates. In other words, 18 anything goes, but less and they come down like a ton of bricks. Or not if your name is Tom... ;)