Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 826172 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #2970 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »

I've never seen the director's cut (which is an hour longer) and it's been about two decades since I've seen the regular version. I remember liking it quite well back then. Of course, according to Roger Ebert, we might be wrong. ;)

Quote from: Roger Ebert
Reviews have been written debating the movie's view of madness, of feminism, of the travail of the artist. They all miss the point. "Betty Blue" is a movie about Beatrice Dalle's boobs and behind, and everything else is just what happens in between the scenes where she displays them.

I have seen both versions on VHS and bought this DVD when it came out. The DC adds some new scenes, a lot more background to other scenes but for continuity it also removes some scenes. I think it makes her breakdown clearer and maybe easier to understand. There is a comparision between the regular and DC here.

As to Ebert's review  :hysterical:, it makes him sound like a schoolboy watching his first film that contains naked women but then again maybe he is right :bag:.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
This arrived today

Avatar  with book and lenticular cards

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 26, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »
Received this on Saturday:

Welt am Draht *
Benny's Video
Fleisch
Wickie und die starken Männer
Horst Schlämmer - Isch kandidiere!
(T)Raumschiff Surprise: Periode 1

* as seen purchased/recommended by goodguy.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 26, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »

I watch that when I was a kid. Not the movie but the TV cartoons (didn't even know about a film based on that). I don't remember it that much, but I know that I liked it at this time.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2974 on: April 26, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
I watch that when I was a kid. Not the movie but the TV cartoons (didn't even know about a film based on that). I don't remember it that much, but I know that I liked it at this time.

Wickie ("Vicky the Viking" in English version) is big in Germany. The cartoon is actually a Japanese anime series ordered by German and Austrian TV. Last year the German comedian/director Michael "Bully" Herbig, who was responsible for the "Der Schuh des Manitu" (Winnetou parody), "Traumschiff Surprise" (Star Trek parody) and "Lissi und der wilde Kaiser" (Sissi parody) has made a live-action version of Wickie. It has good casting, but I was disappointed by the movie. Even though it is watchable and I will add it to my collecton when the price of the Blu-ray drops.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: April 26, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »
District 9 (Amazon.co.uk)
I have seen this movie at the FantasyFilmFest last year and I did like it.
Matilda (Amazon.co.uk)
I have seen this movie years ago and I think I enjoyed it.
The Bucket List (Amazon.co.uk)
I have seen this movie in the cinema. I enjoyed it but I didn't plan to buy the DVD. But now I couldn't resist the price.
The Deer Hunter (Amazon.co.uk)
Never seen it, but it is mentioned often as a must-see. So I bought it because it was cheap.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:51:53 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #2976 on: April 26, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
Hmm, not sure if you'd like Deer Hunter, but well done for giving it a try. I reviewed it here: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,5229.msg86022.html#msg86022

Don't be concerned about spoilers in that. I think with The Deer Hunter it's important you approach it with both eyes wide open. It isn't a film that cares about surprising you! It wants you to experience it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
I already found out that the kids watched it in Taiwan, still surprised that the other side of the Atlantic had it as well.

A friend of mine in germany is making sure the tradition carries on and shows the DVD to her kids :)

Wickie ("Vicky the Viking" in English version) is big in Germany. The cartoon is actually a Japanese anime series ordered by German and Austrian TV.
I didn't know we ordered it... I thought they just happened to like such kind of stories as well (as Heidi, Simba, or Sinbad as well) as they were apparently not only shown in Germany, but also Taiwan, assumedly other Asian countries and even Canada!

[...] live-action version of Wickie. It has good casting, but I was disappointed by the movie. Even though it is watchable and I will add it to my collecton when the price of the Blu-ray drops.
I wanted to get the Blu-ray, but it's apparently locked to region B.

I watched it straight away yesterday and actually quite liked it. Not a "great" film, but I felt it did what it set out to do. Sure it is silly, but so was the cartoon. And I was amazed just how much everyone looked like I remembered them from the cartoons!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I watched it straight away yesterday and actually quite liked it. Not a "great" film, but I felt it did what it set out to do. Sure it is silly, but so was the cartoon. And I was amazed just how much everyone looked like I remembered them from the cartoons!

It was a good kid's movie, and also served good for nostalgic adults (the characters were really spot on). But the story was rather weak.
What I disliked the most about the movie was the character played by Bully. He just felt so forced into the story, only so that Bully could have a role in his film.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
I didn't know we ordered it... I thought they just happened to like such kind of stories as well (as Heidi, Simba, or Sinbad as well) as they were apparently not only shown in Germany, but also Taiwan, assumedly other Asian countries and even Canada!
Province of Quebec... No idea if an english version was made, so it's a good guess that it was shown in France also. We had a lot of japanese cartoons on TV when I was a kid dub in french canadian, just to name a few Goldorak, Candy, Le petit castor (sorry can't find an english title for it), Albator, Demetan (god that one was sad), Nobody's Boy: Remi, ...

Najemikon

« Reply #2980 on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »
Wasn't Dogtanian some weird French trying to be Anime thing? Bloody good though!

"One for all and all for one; Muskerhounds are always ready!"  :laugh:

And while I was looking for that, I came across... :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 26, 2010, 08:05:08 PM »
Wasn't Dogtanian some weird French trying to be Anime thing? Bloody good though!
No it's spanish, but it was produce for a japanese studio. I think I've seen this one also :hmmmm:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2982 on: April 26, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
Today I got:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #2983 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:01 PM »
Got these today:

Alice
Robot Chicken: Season 4

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 27, 2010, 12:28:59 AM »
As to Ebert's review  :hysterical:, it makes him sound like a schoolboy watching his first film that contains naked women but then again maybe he is right :bag:.

Well, he does have experience with B&B movies, having co-written Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls some 15 years earlier. :laugh:
Matthias