Author Topic: What'ya got 2007-2013?  (Read 849111 times)

Critter

Re: What'ya got?
« Reply #2430 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:19 AM »
I'd be curious to hear what you think of this. I had it on my Wish List for a while, then eventually took it off.

Did you play the game (IIV, any....?), because I didn't. Supposedly without the game the story is rather confusing and I am not sure I'd want to buy it for the pretty pictures and insane action shots alone.

I have seen it before, but not yet in blu-ray. In answer to your questions, no I haven't played any of the games but I would love to, and I don't really remember much about the storyline from when I first watched it. I first watched it on normal DVD at a friends house ages ago on a TV about the size of a thimble, no kidding, smallest TV alive with poor qaulity. I enjoyed the film then but I wasn't really able to take it in or follow the storyline properly. The reason I got it on blu-ray was becuase even in that tiny TV screen of terrible qaulity I was astounded by how amazing the visuals were and just knew they would be mouthwateringly good in HD. So basically to sum up, this film may have a storyline, but in the end I bought it for the visuals alone which I have guiltily done with other films in the past. I just can't help it, considering I want to work in the computer animation/SFX industry in the future I seem to be an intense sucker for great effects and visuals.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:33:57 AM by Critter »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 30, 2009, 03:40:16 AM »
The Blu-ray version is longer compared to previous DVD releases, supposedly making the story clearer. Some reviewers say it failed at that.

Yeah, the visuals in that trailer alone are mind-blowing. But I like the action part of the trailer more than the talky bits, so I also wonder how much of the movie is actual action.

Critter

« Reply #2432 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:10 AM »
I like the action more too, that and the design of all the characters which I think is spectacular. As I said I don't remember much of the storyline at all from when I first watched it, but from memory there was a lot of action scenes. I'll probably watch it within the next couple of days so keep your eye out for a review.

snowcat

« Reply #2433 on: December 30, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
Final Fantasy is one of those games Ive tried to like on more then one occassion... but I never enjoy playing them, its not the length because I loved Blue Dragon which is 3 discs long and its not the style because again, I love Blue Dragon and .Hack.

as for the films, I think the first FF film, The Spirits With In was ok, maybe because it wasn't based on a game but in the universe, I absolutely hated advent children and to this day it is the only DVD I have ever sold.... I do have the UMD version still though (It came with my PSP)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 31, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
Cool... Thanks to the upcoming Holiday I got paid a few days early!  :thumbup: So I placed my January order first thing this morning. No where near what I normally buy... I am now on a much stricter budget. So I had to scour the sites for sales and stuff that dropped in prices I could like. So I ordered...

Dead and Deader
Dean Cain stars as Lt. Bobby Quinn, a Special Forces commando killed during a recon mission deep in the Cambodian jungle. But when Quinn interrupts his own stateside autopsy, he discovers that the rest of his dead squad has been resurrected with a ravenous appetite for human flesh. Now with the help of a wisecracking cook (Guy Torry of AMERICAN HISTORY X) and a sexy film geek (Susan Ward of WILD THINGS 2). the part-zombie Quinn must stop the plague before it can infect the entire nation. Who holds the shocking secret behind this blood-crazed carnage? And what happens when Quinn stops gnawing on a raw steak and starts chomping on the hot chick? Colleen Camp (WAYNE'S WORLD), Dean Haglund (THE X-FILES), Ellie Cornell (HALLOWEEN 4), Armin Shimerman (DEEP SPACE NINE, BUFFY), John Billingsley (ENTERPRISE, THE NINE) and Peter Greene (PULP FICTION) co-star in this splatter-riffic action comedy from the producers of FREE ENTERPRISE, THE SPECIALS and HOUSE OF THE DEAD.

OK... this one I really am taking a chance on. From what I can find out it is one of those Sci-Fi Channel original movies. And those are usually hit and miss with me. But it was only $5so I figured I would chance it.

War Games: 25th Anniversary Edition
Matthew Broderick (Ferris Bueller's Day Off) and Ally Sheedy (The Breakfast Club) star in this compelling drama filled with action, suspense and high-tech adventures! Featuring superb performances by Dabney Coleman and Barry Corbin, WarGames™ is "brilliant...funny...and provocative" (New York) – a fast-paced cyber-thriller.

Computer hacker David Lightman (Broderick) can bypass the most advanced security systems, break the most intricate secret codes and master even the most difficult computer games. But when he unwittingly taps into the Defense Department's war computer, he initiates a confrontation of global proportions – World War III! Together with his girlfriend (Sheedy) and a wizardly computer genius (Tony Award winner John Wood), David must race against time to outwit his opponent...and prevent a nuclear Armageddon.

I have not seen this movie in YEARS! So long in fact that I can barely remember it. About the only thing I remember about this movie is that I did enjoy it. Hopefully I still will.

Seinfeld: Season 7
"No soup for you!" "He stole my marble rye!" "Bosco!" "Spongeworthy!" Here's your invitation to 24 original full-length episodes of Season 7. All remastered with new high definition picture and sound.

Yeah... I know... I am pretty far behind in this series. At least the prices are coming down now!

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: The Complete Series
What goes on behind the scenes of a nationwide late-night comedy sketch show? Aaron Sorkin, creator of The West Wing, answers that question with a must-see show within a show filled with engaging characters, ear-grabbing dialogue and a Hollywood hive of insider buzz.

Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford portray the likable hotshots brought in to revive NBS-TV's sagging flagship comedy series and Amanda Peet plays their savvy boss in episodes exploring the lives and loves of and the make-or-break creative pressures on the show's staff. Panic. Chaos. Fear. Sleep deprivation. Just make sure it's funny by Friday. Because that's when a nation tunes in to Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip.

It is a shame this series never made it back on the air. It is a short-lived series I enjoyed while it was on. I would have bought this one sooner... but I kept missing the sales. Finally caught a good sale on it!

The Big Bang Theory: Season 2
The science of funny is back! At work, physicists Leonard and Sheldon and their geek pals conquer the cosmos. At home, real life – from dating to driving – conquers them. This season, Leonard gets a girl. So does Sheldon. (Sheldon?!) Howard drives the Mars Rover into a ditch. Raj woos a terminator. Gorgeous girl-next-door Penny falls under the spell of Age of Conan. And super-smart, überconfident Leslie Winkler reduces mere men to spineless jellyfish. Twenty-three laugh-filled episodes from series creators Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Gilmore Girls) and a talented cast with astronomical comedy I.Q.s show why Big Bang is such a big hit.

I was thrilled when I found this one so cheap ($16.99). This is one show that I really can't wait to watch again. It is just plain hilarious!
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2435 on: December 31, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
I have a few more to add...I couldn't resist the really good sales at Amazon on a few things.

- $57.99 and each season is like $30 by itself.  I've been wanting this for a while and was happy when the series became available on DVD again.  I just found the sale price one day..it was supposed to be out of stock until January, but it got back in sooner.

- $19.99  I finally caught this one on sale after watching it for months.

Critter

« Reply #2436 on: January 01, 2010, 02:18:19 AM »

Got yesterday for under $10 at post Christmas sales.

Najemikon

« Reply #2437 on: January 01, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »
Ah, Beetlejuice is always worth a tenner...   :D

Rogmeister

« Reply #2438 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »
I was tempted to give Pete a -1 for waiting so long to get the second season of The Big Bang Theory but I know what it's like to have money crunch problems so I won't.  I actually used to have a huge thing for Ally Sheedy, by the way... :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:11 AM »
I actually used to have a huge thing for Ally Sheedy, by the way... :P
You aren't the only one ;D

Critter

« Reply #2440 on: January 01, 2010, 05:22:06 AM »
Ah, Beetlejuice is always worth a tenner...   :D

I'm trying to collect every Tim Burton film that I can, with the only exception being his Planet of the Apes which is the only film of his I didn't really like.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: January 01, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
I was tempted to give Pete a -1 for waiting so long to get the second season of The Big Bang Theory but I know what it's like to have money crunch problems so I won't.  I actually used to have a huge thing for Ally Sheedy, by the way... :P

Yeah the money crunch problems aren't easy... I am still having a hard time controlling myself. Which is while while food shopping at Walmart early this morning I hit the bargain bin and picked up....

The Watcher
Keanu Reeves ignites this action-packed, "superbly crafted thriller that zooms along like a sinister video game of hunter and prey!" (Richard Roeper, EBERT & ROEPER AND THE MOVIES)

After years of pursuing psychotic killers in Los Angeles, FBI agent Joel Campbell (James Spader) wants out. And now his nemesis, serial killer David Allen Griffin (Reeves), has tracked him all the way to Chicago just to torment him. Before each murder, Griffin sends Campbell a photograph of his intended victim and dares him to find her before he strikes again. Now, with every tick of the clock, and amidst pulse-pounding action, this stone-cold killer turns up the heat. Co-starring Oscar®-winner * Marisa Tomei, this game of cat and mouse will have you gasping for breath from its first terrifying frame until its final explosive conclusion

This one is a complete blind buy. Was ravaging through the bargain bin and it sounded interesting so giving it a shot.

Hello Marylou: Prom Night 2
In 1957, Hamilton High School's prom queen got flambéed. Now she's back and she's burning mad!

It's been 30 years since bad girl Mary Lou Maloney (Lisa Schrage) was accidentally torched by her ex-boyfriend Bill Nordham (Michael Ironside) just before she was about to be crowned prom queen. Bill is now Hamilton High's principal and his son, Craig (Justin Louis) is dating this year's hopeful queen, good girl Vicki Carpenter (Wendy Lyon). When Vicki finds an old dress perfect for the prom – trouble begins. Mary Lou's spirit possesses Vicki's body and a torrent of fury is unleashed on everyone in town. With or without a tiara, Mary Lou is going to make prom night hot!

It has been years (late '80s since I seen this movie. And I can't remember for sure. But I think I remember enjoying this one more then the original Prom Night (which I found mediocre). If I am remembering wrong... at least it was cheap.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:56:41 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #2442 on: January 02, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »

Rising Damp Series 1 - 4 and the movie

:p I said I wouldn't buy anything for all of January... thankfully I was given this.

snowcat

« Reply #2443 on: January 02, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »
"Don't buy any DVD's in January Emma"

...haha ¬_¬ atleast its only £2.75 right?

Fritz the Cat  (VHS upgrade) £1.75

Vince Vaughn's Wild West Comedy Show £1.00 (Blind buy, It has terrible reviews but its only a pound)

Critter

« Reply #2444 on: January 02, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
Fritz the Cat  (VHS upgrade) £1.75

Wow impressive. I have always wanted to see this based on the whole 'Ralph Bashki creating adult-orientated animated films in the 70's thing that never really took off'. I haven't seen Fritz but I have seen some of his fantasy work, Wizards etc. Ive heard that Fritz was the first animated film to get an R rating though.