Author Topic: Woo-hoo!!!!  (Read 25585 times)

Najemikon

Re: Woo-hoo!!!!
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
I suppose we could count things like Ben Hur or the Maltese Falcon? ;)

Criterion blu-ray... oh if only. I don't believe there is such a thing as a multi region player for blu. And Criterion do lock to A apparently.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
I don't do remakes.  ;)
Not even if they improve on the original...? (Unfortunately they do too few remakes of "bad films with potential", so they arely have a chance to actually improve :shrug:)

*sigh* Sexy Beast, another one on the Wish List.

I'm having a hard time thinking of one that fits that parameter.

Payback: Straight Up (Director's Cut) might be better than Point Blank, but I haven't seen the Lee Marvin one in years. And based on the same book, so not really a remake.

Surely you prefer The Magnificent Seven to that obscure Japanese rubbish?

:devil:

No way, it's gotta be Battle Beyond The Stars, baby.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »
I suppose we could count things like Ben Hur or the Maltese Falcon? ;)

Criterion blu-ray... oh if only. I don't believe there is such a thing as a multi region player for blu. And Criterion do lock to A apparently.

I thought  Oppo's player could be made region free?

Najemikon

« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »
Don't think they're available in the UK. I think some of the top end Panasonics can be chipped, but it's confusing because if you search for "Multi-region Blu-Ray Player" you get a lot of results, but they're all multi-region DVD/locked Region B on Blu. ::)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2010, 05:04:44 AM »
Just finished Hobson's Choice. Excellent film 4/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2010, 06:22:06 AM »
Don't think they're available in the UK. I think some of the top end Panasonics can be chipped, but it's confusing because if you search for "Multi-region Blu-Ray Player" you get a lot of results, but they're all multi-region DVD/locked Region B on Blu. ::)
DVD Beaver uses a Momitsu. At the link they also say that Sherwood is now making basically a clone of the Momitsu one. I don't know how you'd obtain these.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2010, 01:10:43 AM »
Just added Get Carter & The Long Good Friday to my queue.

Came in today, hoping to watch Get Carter tonight, or should I watch the other first?  :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »
Well, Carter was before Friday, so there is really only a development of the genre to note and they really are quite different. Eeny-meeny-miny-mo...

God knows if that's the right spelling...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2010, 04:01:29 AM »
Get Carter...started off slow and really took a while to get going, but redeemed itself in the end. 4/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
Get Carter...started off slow and really took a while to get going, but redeemed itself in the end. 4/5
I remember that pacing is what ticked me off the first time. I had expected to be Michael Caine on a rampage for at least two thrids of the film. It mjay time to revisit.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »
When it got to the 1 hour mark and nothing had happened yet, and the plot was all over the place, I started to think, what the Hell is so great about this film? But when he watches the film in Glenda's bedroom, it took off like a roaring freight train.

I loved the part where Eric has Carter's car pushed into harbor and Carter just gives that look of indifference, knowing what was in the trunk.

Najemikon

« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
The great thing about both Get Carter and Long Good Friday is that it is so tied into British culture. That first hour might drag, but the sub-text is huge. London might as well be on the other side of the world to Newcastle and the Northerner's don't like him on principle. Not that different today!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
Is Newcastle where it takes place, I thought it was Liverpool?

Najemikon

« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Nope, it was definitely Newcastle.

Nottingham (where I am) and Derby are smack in the middle, with Birmingham just below. Manchester and Leeds is sort of considered the start of the proper North, with Liverpool quite close by. Rivalry between North and South seems strongest here and has been used many times in stories, with gangsters going either side, such as the Liverpudlian robbers in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels:

About 1 minute in...

Newcastle is much further North, stressing just how far Carter is out of his comfort zone. He could likely find a few Londoners to back him up in Manchester, but here he might as well be an alien stepping out of a UFO!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2010, 02:05:19 AM »
Anybody here seen Layer Cake, someone recommended it along side The Long Good Friday?