Author Topic: Woo-hoo!!!!  (Read 25570 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Woo-hoo!!!!
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »
My understanding here was that his town had banished him and the cutting off of his Top Knot was symbolic of that showing that he was cutting all ties, something I believe lies within the Bushido Code.

I never thought about the top knot, it makes sense now.

Thank you Antares for at least giving another anime a try.

It won't be my last anime, I'm not close minded to any type of films. I'm always willing to give a movie a shot.

I have to be open minded to watch the drivel that QT puts out.  :laugh:

(click to show/hide)

Critter

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2010, 02:06:32 AM »
Antares, I was going to answer all of your problems with Princess Mononoke but I see Dave beat me to it. If I were to answer it would be almost an exact copy of Daves response since my answers are mainly the same. The thing in the boards stomach was a bullet from Lady Eboshi's weapons, the apes were a representation of all the animals suffering due to Eboshi's ironworks and mining etc.

I'd just like to point out a couple of reasons why I personally love it so much, and one of the reasons is Lady Eboshi herself. This is something I have noticed in a few Ghibli films, in particular, Miyazaki films, but it's very hard to actually dislike the antagonists. Here we have a woman who is somewhat of a saint amoung humans. She saves crippled lepers, she houses brothel girls and gives them real jobs, yet at the same time she is a monster who shows no mercy to the wildlife and environment around here.

I love the conflict that brings up in the film. Is it right to be fighting a woman who is so... good? Yet quite evil at the same time. It's not a straight path, there doesn't seem to be any one evil in the film and that's something I really love. Everyone who is fighting as both a good side, and a dark side, even the characters who are our protagonists.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
Just finished This is England, Stephen Graham was amazing in this...4.5/5  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2010, 12:39:42 AM »
 :clap:

I think you need to be looking up some more Shane Meadows! I really wasn't sure how you'd take to the raw style, but it looks like we have a winner. ;)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:35 AM »
Which brings me to a question. After all these years, how is Margaret Thatcher looked upon over there now?

lovemunkey187

« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »
Just finished This is England, Stephen Graham was amazing in this...4.5/5  :thumbup:

You really should give Dead Mens Shoes a viewing.

Najemikon

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »

You really should give Dead Mens Shoes a viewing.

I mentioned that to him before, but it wasn't available. I prefer it to This Is England, though the latter is the better, more important work. Dead Man's Shoes is a genre flick, a twist on a thriller. Really good stuff.

Which brings me to a question. After all these years, how is Margaret Thatcher looked upon over there now?

:laugh: Where's my 20-foot barge pole? ;)

I liked Maggie. Always did. I was proud of this country when she was in charge and she was an incredible leader. The general perception while we've been under a Labour Government, especially through the media, is that Margaret Thatcher was an evil, terrible woman, who destroyed this country. How she stayed in power, no one knows apparently. Well... people liked her and voted her back in maybe? Just a thought!

That viewpoint is very much a Labour one and as Labour supporters are on average noisy and will be heard, dammit, that's the viewpoint that has been pushed! :devil: I don't want to get into a political argument so this is just my personal view :tomato:.

I don't know what it's like in the States, but here, choosing Labour or Tory seems to be a lifestyle as much as anything. I found this latest election hilarious, because Labour supporters seemed to accept that the Government was terrible and had to go. But the very idea of voting Conservative? The idea that Maggie's descendants might get in power? They'd rather eat their own children!

Since the Tories [sort of] took power again, the Maggie-hating seems to have died off somewhat. We have such fickle and childish media in this country, they just spout whatever they think the majority want to hear.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2010, 03:00:04 AM »
Just got What's Up Doc by Bogdanovich.

Haven't seen this in about 25 years. It is such a great tribute to the screwball comedies of the 30's.  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »
This looks interesting. A TV series sequel to This Is England, called This Is England '86. You can see more about it and clips here: http://www.channel4.com/explore/this-is-england-86/

The original cast are back, but I don't know how much involvement Shane Meadows has had. Definitely has the same tone though.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2010, 02:39:26 AM »
Just got in Melville's Bob le flambeur. Been wanting to see this for years.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2010, 04:15:39 AM »
Just got in Melville's Bob le flambeur. Been wanting to see this for years.

Me too, but I'm a bit afraid to actually do so because I really liked Neil Jordan's remake The Good Thief.
Matthias

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
Bob le flambeur, 4/5 with a great ending. :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
I've been putting this off for years, but I'm finally going to delve into a Godard film. Just got in Contempt.

Though not Godard, also got Boondock Saints.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »
Just finished watching Becker's Touchez pas au grisbi, excellent French gangster film, 5/5 stars.

Jon, you should definitely check this film out. Jean Gabin is outstanding.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
New films just came in...

The Earrings of Madame de... by Max Ophüls & Classe tous risques by Claude Sautet.

On a bit of a French film kick I guess.