Author Topic: How About Jodie Foster?  (Read 4783 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: How About Jodie Foster?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
Backtrack is another one I never seen
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »
I saw Backtrack once many years ago when it aired on Showtime (a U.S. movie cable channel).  I thought it was pretty interesting.  I think it's been presented in a couple of different cuts, though.  But I'd definitely say it's worth checking out.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
Ah, yes. That's correct, thank you, Dave.

No problemo

Now, this Backtrack. Is it any good? You never know with "Alan Smithee"...

I saw Backtrack once many years ago when it aired on Showtime (a U.S. movie cable channel).  I thought it was pretty interesting.  I think it's been presented in a couple of different cuts, though.  But I'd definitely say it's worth checking out.

IIRC Backtrack was originally 180mins long, I don't think this version has ever appeared anywhere. The studio took this version and turned this into a 90min film called Catchfire whereupon Dennis Hopper had his director credit changed to Alan Smithee. Then a version of Backtrack finally appeared that was 99mins long.

As well as Jodie Foster and Dennis Hopper the film stars Dean Stockwell, Vincent Price, John Turturo. Basic premise is woman sees a mob killing, mob assigns hit-man to dispose of her but he falls for her then fun and games ensue. I quite enjoyed it.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:24:02 AM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »
How about Bugsy Malone (another one of her early films)?

(click to show/hide)

Rogmeister

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
I also own a copy of Bugsy Malone...but not on DVD.  It was one of the last movies I ever got on laserdisc...maybe the last.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 06:08:47 AM »
What do you all think of The Accused?

Very good film.

Interesting tidbit...

The story that the film was based upon was the infamous pool table gang rape at Big Dans bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts back in 1983. The girl's name was Cheryl Ann Araujo, a girl I hung around with when I was between the ages of 10-13. The strange thing was, I hadn't seen her in almost ten years and didn't put the face to the name, until the last day of her testimony, when it hit me who she was.

I was checking out this thread earlier and I googled her name. She died in a car accident a couple years before the movie came out. Pretty tragic.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
What do you all think of The Accused?

Very good film.

Interesting tidbit...

The story that the film was based upon was the infamous pool table gang rape at Big Dans bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts back in 1983. The girl's name was Cheryl Ann Araujo, a girl I hung around with when I was between the ages of 10-13. The strange thing was, I hadn't seen her in almost ten years and didn't put the face to the name, until the last day of her testimony, when it hit me who she was.

I was checking out this thread earlier and I googled her name. She died in a car accident a couple years before the movie came out. Pretty tragic.

She had a hard life pretty much from the get go. Her parents were divorced when she was a child. She had virtually no discipline or supervision from an early age. She was always cutting school when I knew her. It's sad to say it, but I never thought she was going to have a long happy life.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
I have gotten a nice selection of Jodie Foster movies since I started this thread. Accorrding to IMDB... I counted 43 movies (excluding TV Series episodes). And as of now I have 15. So I still have less then half her work. What I have now is...

- The Accused
- The Brave One
- Contact
- Five Corners
- Flight Plan
- Foxes
- Freaky Friday
- Inside Man
- The Hotel New Hampshire
- The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane
- Little Man Tate
- Mesmerized
- Nim's Island
- Panic Room
- The Silence of the Lambs

Still a way to go... but at least now I have plenty here to have a Jodie Foster Marathon if I want to.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »
I have most of those...Inside Man is the only one I do not, though I few of these I have only on the old format of laserdisc and not on DVD.  If you want another title, I would suggest Nell which I rather enjoyed.  She got an Oscar nomination for that role, too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
Thanks Roger :)
Pete