Author Topic: Seamonkey??  (Read 1290 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Seamonkey??
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:41:32 PM »
Yesterday I was trying to get all my programs back and such. When I went to get Firefox back I stumbled onto something made by Mozilla that I never seen before. their Seamonkey program. It seems to be a browser, email/newsgroups and html editor all in one.

Has anyone here checked it out? is it worth downloading or am I better off sticking with Firefox?
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Seamonkey??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:23:12 PM »
It depends: Are you using Thunderbird for reading emails and would prefer to have both available in one tool, then Seamonkey is for you. It's the successor to the Mozilla suite (which was THE browser to be used before Firefox was released ;) ).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
I am actually giving it a run now. The answers to your questions is yes.

While I do like what I found here so far... there is some cons as well. Like not being able to use my firefox add-ons that I am used to.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
Now I am finding most of my add-ons and the theme I liked to use.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:28:46 AM »
It's the successor to the Mozilla suite (which was THE browser to be used before Firefox was released ;) ).
I used the Netscape Communicator (suite) for the longest time. Used it, switched to IE and then went bac quite quickly. I was really confused about what to do when Netscape finally disappeared. Eventually happily picked up Firefox.

I would use Firefox and Thunderbird, but in order to have synchronization with my iPhone I feel a bit bound to Safari and Apple Mail (the latter I don't really use, I just read everything directly in GMail or via IMAP on the iPhone.

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:52 AM »
I used to have Thunderbird for my email, but since I've now integrated it into Gmail, I don't need Thunderbird anymore. Now I have it installed and configured simply as a backdoor access to my Gmail should the main Gmail interface fail.

For browsing I use Firefox - Chrome wasn't stable enough for my taste (often, when I opened multiple tabs, it would just hang and not do anything for 4-5 minutes, and then fail on all pages and I'd have to reload each tab - really annoying)

I tried the first few versions of Seamonkey when it was started, but I didn't like it. I'm a guy who likes single purpose programs. I don't like it when everything runs from a single program and then when you have a problem with it, everything stops working. Same goes for multi-function apparels (like these combo printer/scanner)