Author Topic: Question about Canadian DVDs  (Read 1394 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Question about Canadian DVDs
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
I wonder if our Canadian members can help me with this...
I'm trying to find out if the following two Canadian DVDs do have English subtitles:

La belle personne
http://www.amazon.ca/Belle-Personne/dp/B002JI94RG/
Mongrel Media
Released: Oct 13 2009

Plaisir de chanter
http://www.amazon.ca/Plaisir-De-Chanter/dp/B003D3Y5ZC/
Dep Distribution
Released: April 13 2010
Matthias

Touti

Re: Question about Canadian DVDs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:55:07 AM »
I would have been happy to go check in the stores but I checked a few web sites and unfortunately none of them seem to have it in their stores.   I found both movies on archambault.ca but they didn't have the specs.

But I did find "La belle personne" on zip.ca which is an online dvd rental service and according to their specs it has english subtitles as shown on attached picture.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:29:27 AM »
Thanks, Eric. The screenshot for La belle personne looks promising. I did search quite a bit myself, but not even the distributor site had any info. And I noticed that zip.ca only reveals the specs to logged in members.
Matthias

Touti

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 04:41:55 AM »
My pleasure Mathias but I have to warn you, Zip has be known to make mistakes on their specs in the past about subtitles and languages.

I can try to contact the distributors of both films tomorrow and get more details.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »
I can try to contact the distributors of both films tomorrow and get more details.

I did that myself now (not sure why I didn't before) and so far did get the English subtitles for La belle personne confirmed. Unfortunately, it also is a PAL/NTSC transfer, so I'm still undecided whether I should get it or maybe wait for an English-friendly R2 release.
Matthias